Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:10 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11
ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Any news about "Starting in 2017, Flagship Lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."?

link to current thread.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 2, 2020 at 7:55 pm Reason: Add moderator note
Whopper is offline  
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:01 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,913
Originally Posted by Whopper
Any news about "Starting in 2017, Flagship Lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."?
I don't understand this either. So if you fly business class on a South American flight you get Flagship Lounge access too? Doesn't make sense to me.
ASUDan130 is offline  
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:15 pm
  #3  
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: BWI
Posts: 7,391
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I don't understand this either. So if you fly business class on a South American flight you get Flagship Lounge access too? Doesn't make sense to me.
Yes - and even OW Sapphire members flying internationally or domestically on AA gets access (non-AA OW elites).

It will no longer be an exclusive lounge of some sort unfortunately.
golfingboy is offline  
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:12 pm
  #4  
Moderator: American AAdvantage
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,946
Things are changing.

Soon, AA will have only 17 A321T with 10 F seats and 20 777-300ER / 77W with eight F seats as aircraft with three class First class. These passengers will be eligible for Flagship Lounge and Flagship Dining.

AA is expanding the Flagship Lounges, so it makes sense they did so to allow more passengers access. (At the same time, Flagship Dining will be restricted to those in three class F cabins.)

The vaunted DFW "D" terminal premium lounge is the question - will it exist as a oneworld First lounge (three class F and Emeralds), or as the new Flagship Lounge? And will Admirals Clubs be primarily for paying members and one day pass holders who otherwise would not be eligible, and oneworld Business lounge eligible where there are no Flagship Lounges? If so, most Flagship Lounges will be AA operated Business lounges, on par or approaching with some other one world Business lounges, and Admirals Clubs will be second tier lounges.
JDiver is offline  
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:17 pm
  #5  
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: BWI
Posts: 7,391
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA is expanding the Flagship Lounges, so it makes sense they did so to allow more passengers access. (At the same time, Flagship Dining will be restricted to those in three class F cabins.)
Flagship Dining will most likely be a twilight zone except for JFK IMHO.

I am really worried about Flagship Lounge being able to accommodate everyone with ease during the banks. I know I'd like to enjoy the nice solace that the Flagship lounges provide, but when there are 200-300++ other customers and where is the differentiation for EXPs or Emeralds?

Last edited by golfingboy; Feb 16, 2017 at 3:24 pm
golfingboy is offline  
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:19 pm
  #6  
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: jfk area
Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,291
With the current stricter access rules (from personal experience)) JFK FL rebuilt/expanded lounge can be very crowded, will they have room for everyone when the less strict new rules kick in.
nrr is offline  
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:28 pm
  #7  
Moderator: American AAdvantage
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,946
Originally Posted by nrr
With the current stricter access rules (from personal experience)) JFK FL rebuilt/expanded lounge can be very crowded, will they have room for everyone when the less strict new rules kick in.
I believe some Flagship Lounges will become quite crowded, and AA may eventually find themselves having to fiddle with the rules a bit as we go forward. Emerald / EP heavy far international hubs such as JFK (and CX s in T-8 now) MIA and ORD are likely to approach SRO at times. (LAX has the QF First and onecworld Business lounges.)
JDiver is offline  
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:03 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,913
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yes - and even OW Sapphire members flying internationally or domestically on AA gets access (non-AA OW elites).

It will no longer be an exclusive lounge of some sort unfortunately.
Thanks for the info so even arriving on a OW business class flight and then departing on a AA domestic flight then I still get AA flagship lounge access? Wow that's pretty generous. I guess they want all international premium class passengers in the lounge then and then the AC is mainly just used for domestic travel apparently. When does the rule kick in? It says Spring so I assume before the end of March?
ASUDan130 is offline  
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:49 pm
  #9  
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: jfk area
Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,291
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Thanks for the info so even arriving on a OW business class flight and then departing on a AA domestic flight then I still get AA flagship lounge access? Wow that's pretty generous. I guess they want all international premium class passengers in the lounge then and then the AC is mainly just used for domestic travel apparently. When does the rule kick in? It says Spring so I assume before the end of March?
Spring ends in JUNE
nrr is offline  
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:01 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 230
Seems like basically what UA is doing with Polaris lounges. Flagship is becoming the international business lounge while AC is the paid membership lounge.
Reikon is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:58 am
  #11  
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: jfk area
Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,291
Originally Posted by JDiver
I believe some Flagship Lounges will become quite crowded, and AA may eventually find themselves having to fiddle with the rules a bit as we go forward. Emerald / EP heavy far international hubs such as JFK (and CX s in T-8 now) MIA and ORD are likely to approach SRO at times. (LAX has the QF First and onecworld Business lounges.)
For AMEX CENTURION lounges (which can get crowded at times), they reserve several tables for CENTURION card holders. AA (for FL lounges) could do any of: (1)restrict access to EXPs (and/or CKs) at peak times, (2)NO guesting, (3)(like many restaurants do) create waitlists for entry.
nrr is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:46 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,666
Seems like AA should make the FL similar to the BA F lounge. AA doesn't have F lounges. F and Emerald. Although at LHR they have the Concord lounge for F.
cova is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:25 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Western PA
Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Posts: 441
Not that AA cares, but I oppose this change for many of the reasons listed above-
(1) Overcrowding of FL at peak (and even not-so-peak) times
(2) Reduction in benefit to buying F ticket - extra $$ just for "Flagship Dining" why bother?
(3) Potential for entry rules shenanigans when FL is crowded and agents make their own interpretations
(4) Further reduction in fast-disappearing EXP benefits

Bill
sombrachinesca is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:34 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 6,044
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
Not that AA cares, but I oppose this change for many of the reasons listed above-
(1) Overcrowding of FL at peak (and even not-so-peak) times
(2) Reduction in benefit to buying F ticket - extra $$ just for "Flagship Dining" why bother?
(3) Potential for entry rules shenanigans when FL is crowded and agents make their own interpretations
(4) Further reduction in fast-disappearing EXP benefits

Bill
I think you nailed it.

With the spend requirement, fewer overall first class seats, and access to FL from business, it pushes more of us to become free agents and buy business as needed and fly other airlines when cheaper.
Global321 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:58 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: QDF
Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Posts: 1,041
How long until the international AC locations are rebranded as Flagship lounges?
PlatinumScum is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.