Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Under the new rules, we aren't likely to see that occur. Once they've opened the flood gates, it's not so easy to shut them. Flagship® Dining is the perk they've retained for those flying Flagship® First.
I am not saying they will do it, but it is quite easy to do. They could announce tomorrow... To give you even better service in Intl FC, effective July 1, 2017, there will now be a part of the FL that is now a FCL/Emerald section. (or just FC) At JFK, the far right side by the windows could easily be roped/sectioned off. CX/BA already does that in some of their lounges.

What will happen if the FL stays busy... those with FC dining will hang longer in the FC dining area, creating a different problem.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was just in the FL Sunday night from about 8:30p-9:30p. It was rather crowded, but there were still a decent number of seats. It wasn't any worse than DL's SkyClub at T4 which can be a zoo in the evening, and it was probably better. FL is definitely a better lounge, though. Crowding started to diminish after the Brazil/Arg flights were called for boarding
Biggest issue seemed to be not replacing some of the buffet items quickly enough (the empty salmon dish sat that way for at least 10 minutes) and not clearing used items quickly enough.
But lots of food on offer. Self-pour Bolly, and a decent (self-pour) liquor selection. I took pics of the bar, but not sure how to upload from mobile. There was Grey Goose and Belvedere, Woodford Reserve, Hendricks, and other decent stuff.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
The new "Flagship" lounge at JFK is disgraceful- mainly because of the expanded access which allows it to become so crowded in evening there is hardly a place to sit. They advertise more space etc, what a joke. No reason to have OWE after having such a horrid, loud, crowded experience. There was no way that staff could keep up with the amount of people. Plates were in carts in several places all over the lounge, ice and some drinks from the fridges went unfilled for a couple of hours. Slop food everywhere and no one around to clean it up. Rubber mats on the floor because so many drinks and ice spilled onto the floor it was slippery. The bar area has been made much smaller, this is simply a design flaw. Instead of one dedicated coffee area they have two machines and one takes a substantial portion of the bar area. The desert offerings look disgusting (crumbling smushed whoopie pies) and take up a lot of counterspace that could have been made into another bar area. Lots of wasted space with long hallways. The quiet room already showing many scuff marks all around the walls as are the walls leading into the bathrooms. Shower rooms ok but clearly sum already needing to be remolded. Very limited shower pressure in number seven and if I were a person with physical disabilities it would've been very challenging for me to reach the soap and shampoo. AA need to get someone who has experience in organization and engineering to consult on this lounge and make some immediate changes as space and flow opportuniities totally wasted. It was just shocking to see how the hard-working staff sinply could not keep up with the flow even to do the basics like refilling ice packets etc. What a missed opportunity...
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
...No reason to have OWE after having such a horrid, loud, crowded experience.
Funny how quick it can all go south like that!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
... It wasn't any worse than DL's SkyClub at T4 which can be a zoo in the evening, and it was probably better. ...

And that is the problem... you compared the Flagship Lounge crowding to DL SkyClub. Not SkyClub to Admiral's Club.

The FL is supposed to be the premium/exclusive/quiet escape from the terminal and even the Admiral's Club. They have reduced it - in terms of seating/experience - significantly.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Funny how quick it can all go south like that!
I think it's sad and disappointed. I can't imagine finding it a pleasant experience for other customers regardless of them being OWS OWE and/or business or first class customers. It is very poorly executed and that's not funny either, it's disappointing.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global321
And that is the problem... you compared the Flagship Lounge crowding to DL SkyClub. Not SkyClub to Admiral's Club.

The FL is supposed to be the premium/exclusive/quiet escape from the terminal and even the Admiral's Club.
Says who?

I'm comparing the lounges for international business class passengers on DL (which I flew in March) and AA (which I flew yesterday). How is that a problem?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:36 pm

Says who?

I'm comparing the lounges for international business class passengers on DL (which I flew in March) and AA (which I flew yesterday). How is that a problem?
You.

You compared DL SkyClub - the lounge anyone who pays can access like the Admiral's Club - to the Flagship Lounge, which was among the best US airlines - and even some foreign airlines - offer.

And that is the point. AA had a significant edge over DL on the ground. They may still have it, but the gap got a lot smaller.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
You.
I think he was asking who said that the Flagship Lounge was supposed to be the "premium, exclusive, quiet" haven from the terminal. That may have never been AA's goal with the lounge. AA may have wanted a larger lounge that it could offer to more passengers all along. American's ability to offer this amenity to more passengers, while a disadvantage to those passengers that had access to a quieter lounge before, may be an advantage in trying to attract a larger group of other customers. I'm not saying that is 100% the case, but it could be so
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I think he was asking who said that the Flagship Lounge was supposed to be the "premium, exclusive, quiet" haven from the terminal. ...
Could be that is what he was referencing. I thought that was some of AA's verbiage in the past, but, I could be mistaken.

Either way, the FL was previously "premium, exclusive, quiet" haven. Not so much anymore. (And that is still the point.)

Given the reductions in FC with AA, you could be 100% spot on. Lower the entrance requirements/service/ambiance to deliver value to a larger audience. It is certainly a strategy.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could be that is what he was referencing. I thought that was some of AA's verbiage in the past, but, I could be mistaken.

Either way, the FL was previously "premium, exclusive, quiet" haven. Not so much anymore. (And that is still the point.)

Given the reductions in FC with AA, you could be 100% spot on. Lower the entrance requirements/service/ambiance to deliver value to a larger audience. It is certainly a strategy.
Yeah, I don't really care what the old FL was. This is now an entirely new concept - a premium lounge for international business class passengers. And i'll repeat what I said before - it's better than the Delta lounge for international business passengers.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:09 pm

Yeah, I don't really care what the old FL was. This is now an entirely new concept - a premium lounge for international business class passengers. And i'll repeat what I said before - it's better than the Delta lounge for international business passengers.
Maybe I misunderstood your first comment. Apologies.

Yes - 100% I agree - the FL is better than the DL lounge for international business passengers.

For OW passengers at large hubs (outside the USA), there are typically International FC Lounges and separate BC Lounges. (OW Emeralds typically get access to FC lounges flying internationally.) AA took what was an International FC Lounge and downgraded it to an International BC lounge. Great for International BC customers, bad for International FC (and Emerald) customers.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For OW passengers at large hubs (outside the USA), there are typically International FC Lounges and separate BC Lounges. (OW Emeralds typically get access to FC lounges flying internationally.) AA took what was an International FC Lounge and downgraded it to an International BC lounge. Great for International BC customers, bad for International FC (and Emerald) customers.
You're really suggesting that the Flagship First Dining (per early reports on FT at least) is bad for Int'l FC passengers vs. what was previously available?

For OW emeralds, I guess, but I don't really care.
The fact of the matter is that AA has dramatically cut back its int'l FC service, so it doesn't really make sense to have a separate FC lounge network. The enhanced FL strategy with a smaller FFD offering probably makes them more competitive for paid premium fares.

And on another note, if you're a OWE flying, say, AY or RJ, you don't get a FC lounge either. And arguably AA's FL is better than BA's FCL, right? (Maybe not in LHR?)
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Flagship First Dining is amazing. No one can argue with that. But it is not a lounge. When you're done eating, you're meant to go into the Flagship Lounge. But you won't find a seat because it's now a complete zoo. Hardly a premium experience.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:53 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Prior to re-modeling (with stricter entry requirements), at around 5 pm the JFK FL very often was at capacity; now that they have expanded the lounge's size (but also expanded rules for entry) we are in the same "boat" as before--though previously food replacement was much better than now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.