Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Goldorak
New on-going offer for AF Amex gold : from 7 feb to 15 march 2014, AF/KL purchases will earn 30 miles (instead of 15) for 10E spent. Note that the additional miles earned are award miles and not level miles. You need to register to benefit from this offer.
What! I just bought a €660 ticket! Where did you see this and where do I register?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
What! I just bought a €660 ticket! Where did you see this and where do I register?
I received an e-mail from Amex and a link to register. Now that I read you, I'm wondering wether it was a targeted offer ?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Looks indeed like a targeted offer
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:01 pm
Suspended

yes, Amex sends out targeted emails depending on your spending behavior
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
And the worst thing is that the target people that normally don't spend that much. Big spenders are mostly not targeted, since they already spend enough money on the card
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
And the worst thing is that the target people that normally don't spend that much. Big spenders are mostly not targeted, since they already spend enough money on the card
Makes some sense..
Hotel promo also works like that. for example the recent "IHG big win" : the less history you had in their loyaltylobby, the biggest number of points was offered when achieving their customized challenge...

Last edited by Eddy421; Feb 27, 2014 at 8:58 am
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:32 pm
Suspended

that's correct

over the past 3 years i spent a lot with my amex and told my sales rep that i was surprised not to receive any bonus or booster campaign

he recently told me that they try to incentivize people to spend more, but i spend more than the annual amount to trigger these activation campaign, i don't receive targeted emails but i should be happy to be rewarded with lots of miles according to my expenses

shouldn't loyalty be recognized and rewarded ?

of course, my annual fees are waived every year, but i feel like i have to beg for it
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: IHG Pl. Amb / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold /FB Gold / M&M SEN
Question - my apologies if this has been asked before, but search didn't give meany results.

I am 3100 miles short to re-qualify for Gold. I have the Gold KLM/AF Amex & FB Gold status. This card gives me 1.5 miles per EUR spent. Would it be possible to just buy a flex +/- 2100 EUR ticket on my AMEX, and cancel/refund this next year?

Maybe a bit cheeky, but it seems like a relatively easy way to get these missing level miles so close to the year end.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by diederik
Question - my apologies if this has been asked before, but search didn't give meany results.

I am 3100 miles short to re-qualify for Gold. I have the Gold KLM/AF Amex & FB Gold status. This card gives me 1.5 miles per EUR spent. Would it be possible to just buy a flex +/- 2100 EUR ticket on my AMEX, and cancel/refund this next year?

Maybe a bit cheeky, but it seems like a relatively easy way to get these missing level miles so close to the year end.
I'm gonna do the same thing. As long as you don't cancel before the end of the year it's alright.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Originally Posted by diederik

You only get points and awards on sectors flown as far as I know.
The colour of your AMEX card has nothing to do with your Flying Blue level. The two programs are totally separate. With AMEX you buy the colour of your card.
For Flying Blue it depends on how much you fly or spend with partners.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by emviflyer
(...)The two programs are totally separate. (...)
Not quite.

Spending at AF/KL for tickets generate level miles.

In case of Amex Plat, 2 level miles / Euro spent. In case of Gold, 1.5 as our friend says above.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
I'm gonna do the same thing. As long as you don't cancel before the end of the year it's alright.
Well, you may need to hold it longer. Were you to cancel in January, and Amex to do a negative miles credit, would Flying Blue still process it against 2014?

(I have no idea, just asking the question)

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Well, you may need to hold it longer. Were you to cancel in January, and Amex to do a negative miles credit, would Flying Blue still process it against 2014?

(I have no idea, just asking the question)

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
I really like to know this too.

I guess it's like the "normal" award miles: the credit is not given at the time of purchase but on the date of your statement. So if your statement is on 20th of each month, you could even cancel the ticket this year (after December 20th).

And another related question: what are they going to do with negative miles? Do they "credit" (or better:debit) them after the next statement, or will it remain negative (at Amex) until you have enough miles earned to correct this?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Brobbel
I really like to know this too.

I guess it's like the "normal" award miles: the credit is not given at the time of purchase but on the date of your statement. So if your statement is on 20th of each month, you could even cancel the ticket this year (after December 20th).

And another related question: what are they going to do with negative miles? Do they "credit" (or better:debit) them after the next statement, or will it remain negative (at Amex) until you have enough miles earned to correct this?
From my experience they would just credit you less the next month. I'm not so sure what would happen if you actually have a negative balance though, but it seems that will anyway be a problem for the next year's accrual, not the current one.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
Does any one who recently has upgraded/ordered a Plat FB Amex know how long it takes until they give my partner a Plat FB status? I know that when Plat for 2 was introduced it took ages but how is it now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.