Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliα silver.
Originally Posted by Marambio
(...) Accounts in France, including French Amex, shouldn't be declared.
Indeed.

Neither should a Dutch Amex be declared to the French tax office, as it is not a bank account.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I have the FB Gold Amex for many years, my anniversary date is in April. One month ago, they charged me as expected with the annual fee. Early May, they credited my FB account the annual 30XP, which I don’t care about because I am Plat for life. But I just looked at my FB account to see if the monthly miles linked to my expenses were posted. They were, but there is also a line « Flying Blue Amex Gold card bonus : 20,000 miles - 0 XP - 0 UXP »
Certainly a nice surprise but what is this ? 1st time I have this in 23 years of subscription of this card. Is that something we will have every year ? . Anyone else had this ?
Originally Posted by maalloc
Same here, got an extra 20 k miles credited with the April expenses (which is also my renewal month)
Originally Posted by sigbjod
I got the same extra 20k miles with the May expenses with a small difference; it's not my renewal month (as it's October). Does anyone here have an idea which purchases/operations might have triggered this?
Originally Posted by Goldorak
likely not a specific expense, but maybe a cumulative spending ?
this is mysterious !!
This bonus is labelled on my monthly statement as "bonus & adjustments - your commercial offer"

Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:15 am

Hello y'all, anyone have a referral link with better offer for the Dutch Amex Flying Blue card?
Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:16 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Kime
Hello y'all, anyone have a referral link with better offer for the Dutch Amex Flying Blue card?
Thanks!
I will gladly refer you. Send me a Private Message here with your deltails and which kind of card you would like to have
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:55 am

I once had NL AMEX Plat and FB gold.
I discontinued them quite while ago probably before corona.
Now as we can travel again, I tried to apply the FB card few days ago, however I've faced a problem which I don't have dutch address.
I'm living in Belgium.
Back then, I didn't require the address in NL to apply the card, but only NL bank account.
I had a call customer service but they said since the policy was changed, they cannot proceed it. It didn't sound very convincing thou.

Anyone applied AMEX FB recently, while living in Belgium and also as a Belgian?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 5:38 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by Kime
I once had NL AMEX Plat and FB gold.
I discontinued them quite while ago probably before corona.
Now as we can travel again, I tried to apply the FB card few days ago, however I've faced a problem which I don't have dutch address.
I'm living in Belgium.
Back then, I didn't require the address in NL to apply the card, but only NL bank account.
I had a call customer service but they said since the policy was changed, they cannot proceed it. It didn't sound very convincing thou.

Anyone applied AMEX FB recently, while living in Belgium and also as a Belgian?
That is interesting, indeed. I'm a Belgian in Belgium, w/o any address or bank account in NL and I have the card since 2005. If the policy has changed, it sounds like tough luck for your case, but did you point to your previous membership? Perhaps there is at least a way to build upon that legacy?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Interesting email received today: on French FB Amex, it is now possible to convert Miles -> Euros.

The rate is 1000 miles = 4 €, roughly on par with AF valuation.

Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:19 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
That's a pretty terrible redemption value...
Xandrios and JournoFlyer like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:58 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thats not a great value indeed. But it also opens the door for some other weird scenarios and/or abuse.

Recently Amex offered an upgrade to FB Plat with a gift of 75K miles, as long as you stay member for 6 months. With this valuation those 75K miles equals 300 Euros, which is exactly the costs of 6 months Plat membership. Making it essentially free. And allowing one to get a card for 6 months, cancelling, waiting a little while and re-subscribing to do the same trick again. Meanwhile still banking those 30-60-90XP each time (Signup for free Gold, 30XP. Upgrade to Plat, get 75K miles & get 60XP. Convert the 75K into cash to pay for the Plat card. Cancel after 6 months... and have 90XP for free).

Of course 75K miles can get you a much better value (at least double, possibly triple) when spending it on flights. But now its actually hard cash... which does change things somewhat for some people.
Carel1 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:38 am

This new mechanism has the advantage of putting a hard monetary value floor on miles.

Sure, when redeeming miles, the current value roughly ranges between 0,005 to 0,01 €/mile... but when promo fares exist, the rate can go as low as 0,0035 €.

The constant opportunity to secure 0,004 €/mile should help slow down miles inflation.
I see it as a win-win. The airline can clean up its bottom line (I'd rather see them to this than find new creative ways to save cost on F&B); those with 6/7 figure miles accounts can at last use them on something else that random merchandizing, and miles inflation will be harder to implement when there's the money redemption option floating around.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliα silver.
Interesting email received today: on French FB Amex, it is now possible to convert Miles -> Euros.

The rate is 1000 miles = 4 €, roughly on par with AF valuation.
For the sake of comparison : 2000 ALL (Accor) points = € 40. It is not hard cash, but close to it for someone who stays at Accor properties.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
For the sake of comparison : 2000 ALL (Accor) points = € 40. It is not hard cash, but close to it for someone who stays at Accor properties.
Interesting data point.
Since you need 8000 FB Miles to get 2000 ALL points after conversion, that gives a value of 0,005 €/FB mile.

The 25% monetary bonus is quite cheap IMO. Give me 1 real € instead of a 1,25 € voucher anytime.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Anyone not getting their milles from the fb amex posted to their FB account?

been a month now, customer service claims its an error when reciving a referal bonus.

(And to be completly open, I had some question from the KYC guys and a spending limit imposed, wich makes me a bit worried that they are leading me on with the tech storry... )
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:36 pm

Interesting data point.
Since you need 8000 FB Miles to get 2000 ALL points after conversion, that gives a value of 0,005 €/FB mile..
I had in mind to compare the earn rates in cash of Visa Accor Pay and Amex FB.

If you spend 2000 € with Visa All Pay card Ultimate you get 2000 points which are worth 40 €.

If you spend 2000 € with Amex FB Platinum, you get 3000 miles worth 12 €.

P.S. about your calculation, you need 10,000 (not 8,000) FB Miles to get 40 € = 2,000 ALL points.

Last edited by carnarvon; Jun 27, 2022 at 1:44 pm
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Close thread

Dear all,

Upon further review, we have decided to close this thread due to the fact that it is sometimes difficult to distinguish whether the post relates to the Dutch or the French co-branded credit card.

For this reason, we have created 2 new threads: one for the Dutch and one for the French co-branded Flying Blue American Express credit card.

Going forward, please post in the appropriate threads.

Best regards,

JOUY31 & Gajan

FAQ 4A1 - Questions relating to the French co-branded FB Amex card
FAQ 4A2 - Questions relating to the Dutch co-branded FB Amex card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.