Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue, ANA
Originally Posted by delanotre
Sorry! I received this offer yesterday. I was looking for a flight from Japan but I discover in post 1145 that it's only for flights from France...
Also it's only for direct flight. So if you purchase, for example, a NCE-CDG-HND it won't trigger the refund. You will have to book a CDG-HND and then, later, change it to a NCE-CDG-HND (as AF tickets are still all 100% flexible).
This is either a not a well thought offer or an elitist one, reserved for people living near Paris.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by goavibes
This is either a not a well thought offer or an elitist one, reserved for people living near Paris.
Or maybe it works anyway even for connecting flights...
Old May 13, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, ANA
Originally Posted by canadavid
Or maybe it works anyway even for connecting flights...
I checked by phone and chat with Amex agents and was told both times that with a national connecting flight a ticket won't qualify for the offer.
Old May 14, 2022, 4:50 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Question for the NL side. Upgrading between FB cards doesn't allow you to get any sign up bonuses, nor will it get you the first year half off. However from what I understand switching from an FB card to a regular Amex card, it does (?).
If I'd switch from an FB card to regular Amex Plat card would I first have to cancel the FB one? Or could I keep that around until the new card has arrived?

With the mess at Schiphol this year I'm thinking to go for the regular plat card since it offers Privium. At half price thats very manageable. After the first year I may then just switch back to an FB card - we'll see. I'm not doing that much spending but the privium and priority pass additions would be useful from the regular card.
Old May 14, 2022, 5:41 am

Silly/naive question: If you have the regular Amex, you can still transfer miles but i guess the ratio is different? How much would you lose on miles?
Old May 14, 2022, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Silly/naive question: If you have the regular Amex, you can still transfer miles but i guess the ratio is different? How much would you lose on miles?
The ratio is 5 MR points for 4 FB miles
Old May 15, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Hilton Diamond, some others as well
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Question for the NL side. Upgrading between FB cards doesn't allow you to get any sign up bonuses, nor will it get you the first year half off. However from what I understand switching from an FB card to a regular Amex card, it does (?).
If I'd switch from an FB card to regular Amex Plat card would I first have to cancel the FB one? Or could I keep that around until the new card has arrived?

With the mess at Schiphol this year I'm thinking to go for the regular plat card since it offers Privium. At half price thats very manageable. After the first year I may then just switch back to an FB card - we'll see. I'm not doing that much spending but the privium and priority pass additions would be useful from the regular card.
This can be tricky, however, if you state in the approval form that you don't have an Amex yet the discount will be applied. Some people also get the sign-up bonus but this is a case of luck. My personal experience is just a discount and no points for getting a regular gold in addition to my FB Amex.
Old May 15, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by lloydje33
This can be tricky, however, if you state in the approval form that you don't have an Amex yet the discount will be applied. Some people also get the sign-up bonus but this is a case of luck. My personal experience is just a discount and no points for getting a regular gold in addition to my FB Amex.

i got the bonus but it was luck. The agent sent me a link and with the code attached it generated the 50k Membership Rewards.

One thing to consider however…. The year you change your FB card you will not receive any XP bonus… a little tacky in my opinion but anyway….
Old May 15, 2022, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks. Somehow I was under the impression that, since the regular Amex is different from the FB line, you could basically have both. Perhaps better to first cancel the FB one altogether then.

Is there an official number of months that needs to have passed before you can "re apply"? I seem to remember that used to be 6 months, in which case it would be fairly easy to switch between the cards. Especially if, due to the discounts being a 'new member' it would be easier to go for a more expensive FB card - gaining more XP's as a sign up bonus.
Old May 15, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Thanks. Somehow I was under the impression that, since the regular Amex is different from the FB line, you could basically have both.
Your impression is correct.

Amex treats standard and AF/KLM cards as two different products, handled by two different departments.
Old May 15, 2022, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by goavibes
Also it's only for direct flight. So if you purchase, for example, a NCE-CDG-HND it won't trigger the refund. You will have to book a CDG-HND and then, later, change it to a NCE-CDG-HND (as AF tickets are still all 100% flexible).
You really wonder what is the rationale behind not allowing domestic connections for this offer. I don't get it.
lynxy and SkyteamEP like this.
Old May 15, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Goldorak
You really wonder what is the rationale behind not allowing domestic connections for this offer. I don't get it.
Could be a purely monetary rationale since ex-CDG flights are often more expensive than ex-outstations. More margin = less painful discount.

Last edited by maalloc; May 15, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Old May 16, 2022, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by maalloc
Could be a purely monetary rationale since ex-CDG flights are often more expensive than ex-outstations. More margin = less painful discount.
I thought about this, but I have rarely seen big discounts (or even just discounts) for "France-CDG-XXX" itineraries. Prices are usually the same or even more expensive than the nonstop CDG-XXX. The discounts exist when starting the trip from Europe/North Africa and connecting in CDG.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:23 pm

La dépense doit être facturée sur votre Carte au plus tard le 19/05/2022 afin d’être éligible à l’offre

If the transaction is still listed as pending after the offer expires will it be considered as valid by Amex for the 50% cashback ?
Old May 18, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Ciumpy
La dépense doit être facturée sur votre Carte au plus tard le 19/05/2022 afin d’être éligible à l’offre

If the transaction is still listed as pending after the offer expires will it be considered as valid by Amex for the 50% cashback ?
I see that the issue is widespread.
Couldn't help but notice that my ticket transaction is still pending too.

Hopefully the billing date will be considered, not the validation date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.