Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
You can get the same (or better) insurance cover, high spending limits, etc with many VISA and Mastercard programs. For instance my bank gives me a pack of four credit cards, one each in CHF, EUR, USD, GBP, a good loyalty program, excellent insurance cover, the full enchilada - for a fraction of the price of AMEX Platinum or Black.
Would you mind giving a bit more detail as to which bank and what program it is you are referring to ? By PM is fine too - would love to leave NL Amex behind for cards in CHF en EUR that still earn something.

thanks in advance
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pjhartog
Would you mind giving a bit more detail as to which bank and what program it is you are referring to ? By PM is fine too - would love to leave NL Amex behind for cards in CHF en EUR that still earn something.

thanks in advance
+1

Given my current mileage accrual and spending pattern, the new enhancements will not turn me from a segment qualifier to a level miles qualifier. Though I will certainly have more than enough level miles to qualify for gold (50k level miles or so). So I do not see these changes as an improvement.
As I actually fly more than 60 segments annually, the 8 free segments matter little at this point, so I face a dilemma whether to switch to a standard Amex Platinum (now that it costs the same and I could use amex points in other programs) or just get a gold card...
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
And perhaps even more importantly, you can get better Platinum Amex with better insurance if you don't take the FB co-branded one! I actually used to find the FB Amex Gold insurance very mediocre, I should hope the Platinum one does better but it costs much more than a normal Amex Platinum anyway. Some Amex also give you things like Priority Pass which is quite useful to me, not least when I fly AF's orange competitor on domestic routes...
Could you perhaps comment more on the FB Gold insurance coverance and the FB, non-FB branded platinum's coverage? What kind of experiences have you had?

I am currently comparing the gold card to my travel insurance, and it actually looks quite ok. Major differences:
- The maximum of 700,- luggage coverage for FB Amex Gold, and 2500,- for a normal travel insurance.
- The 100,- deductables charge per payment instead of per incident? (Don't know if I interpreted this one correctly)
- Medical coverage and payments are higher at Amex than Travel Insurance
- Juridical assistance coverage is very nice (not included in travel insurance)
- Long travel times allowed standard
- Cost is approximately the same for travel insurance vs gold card

What are your major pro's and cons insurance wise?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by CoenW
Could you perhaps comment more on the FB Gold insurance coverance and the FB, non-FB branded platinum's coverage? What kind of experiences have you had?

I am currently comparing the gold card to my travel insurance, and it actually looks quite ok. Major differences:
- The maximum of 700,- luggage coverage for FB Amex Gold, and 2500,- for a normal travel insurance.
- The 100,- deductables charge per payment instead of per incident? (Don't know if I interpreted this one correctly)
- Medical coverage and payments are higher at Amex than Travel Insurance
- Juridical assistance coverage is very nice (not included in travel insurance)
- Long travel times allowed standard
- Cost is approximately the same for travel insurance vs gold card

What are your major pro's and cons insurance wise?
@stimpy - I can only talk of the French one, no idea about the Dutch one. @CoenW, when I had the FB Gold Amex, the main issue is that insurance was very good if you paid tickets+all incurred expenses in full with the said card but nothing if you paid part or all in any other way (e.g. anything in cash or paid with another card invalidated the insurance). With my current (non-FB) Amex Platinum has a proper travel insurance policy which works well regardless of means of payment.

@SanGottardo, I guess it means you never fly with Easyjet and the like I use my Priority Pass quite often. If I think about flights this year, I have used it on flights I took with Easyjet, flights I took with Ryanair, flights I took with Air Malta, flights I took with LH in Y (I was told LH didn't allow access at the outstation with my A3 and TK *G cards, not sure if it was true or a mistake of the lounge attendants), flights with EI. Very useful to me on the whole!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by orbitmic
@stimpy - I can only talk of the French one, no idea about the Dutch one. @CoenW, when I had the FB Gold Amex, the main issue is that insurance was very good if you paid tickets+all incurred expenses in full with the said card but nothing if you paid part or all in any other way (e.g. anything in cash or paid with another card invalidated the insurance). With my current (non-FB) Amex Platinum has a proper travel insurance policy which works well regardless of means of payment.
I did a thread about this on the BA board because I thought I had food poisoning from a BA flight to BDA, but in any case all I had to do was forward my medical bills from Bermuda to Amex NL and thanks to my FB Amex Plat card I was 100% reimbursed. And I had paid for the medical bills with a different credit card. The illness was painful, but the insurance experience was pain free.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:38 pm
Suspended

did the NL and FR cards always have the same benefits before/so far ?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macaron95
did the NL and FR cards always have the same benefits before/so far ?
No, they were always quite different in the past.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by stimpy
I did a thread about this on the BA board because I thought I had food poisoning from a BA flight to BDA, but in any case all I had to do was forward my medical bills from Bermuda to Amex NL and thanks to my FB Amex Plat card I was 100% reimbursed. And I had paid for the medical bills with a different credit card. The illness was painful, but the insurance experience was pain free.
The way most card-linked travel insurance products are designed is that what matters is not which card you use to pay your medical bills. What matters is which card you used to pay the trip on which you fell ill. The card covers all unpleasant sides of that trip you have paid with the card. Similarly they pay you some money if your suitcase gets lost even if your suitcase was bought with another card or if it was a gift from your aunt.

In your case, did you pay for the BA ticket with the AMEX card?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
In your case, did you pay for the BA ticket with the AMEX card?
I believe I did use that card, however it didn't matter. Both the experts here on the Dutch FB Amex and Amex themselves said I could have used any card to pay for the flight. And at no time during the claim process was I asked to prove how I paid for the flight or even what flight I took. All that mattered was that I was overseas on travel, got sick, and had medical bills. The only documents I had to forward were the hospital documents/bills. And those were sent to Amex's insurance company, not Amex themselves.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I believe I did use that card, however it didn't matter. Both the experts here on the Dutch FB Amex and Amex themselves said I could have used any card to pay for the flight. And at no time during the claim process was I asked to prove how I paid for the flight or even what flight I took. All that mattered was that I was overseas on travel, got sick, and had medical bills. The only documents I had to forward were the hospital documents/bills.
Excellent service from AMEX ^
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:21 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
I believe I did use that card, however it didn't matter. Both the experts here on the Dutch FB Amex and Amex themselves said I could have used any card to pay for the flight. And at no time during the claim process was I asked to prove how I paid for the flight or even what flight I took. All that mattered was that I was overseas on travel, got sick, and had medical bills. The only documents I had to forward were the hospital documents/bills. And those were sent to Amex's insurance company, not Amex themselves.
As per 22 February 2013 some insurances for the NL market have changed, i.e. you are only covered if you have bought for a certain part if you have paid that part with your card.
Not sure if medical expenses fall under that category though.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
As per 22 February 2013 some insurances for the NL market have changed, i.e. you are only covered if you have bought for a certain part if you have paid that part with your card.
Not sure if medical expenses fall under that category though.
For the FB Platinum card? I don't recall getting a notice about that, but maybe?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The French FB AMEX card had very limited insurance, much less than the traditional AMEX card. That's on reason I dropped it.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
The French FB AMEX card had very limited insurance, much less than the traditional AMEX card. That's on reason I dropped it.
+1. My French FB gold amex experience was at odds with the excellent service stimpy received with the Dutch FB platinum amex one. Essentially, ticket deposit paid cash (about 10%) as this was all I had on me, remainder (90%) paid with the Amex gold, ticket was not covered. No, thank you... By contrast, I've never had any problem with my non-FB amex platinum insurance, which works on any travel (albeit additional guarantees for things booked with the Amex card itself).
Old Jun 26, 2013, 5:32 am

@stimpy:

For the FB Platinum card? I don't recall getting a notice about that, but maybe?
FB AMEX customers in NL (myself included) received a letter about this back in February. I just happened to be on the phone to them now and asked them to refresh my memory.

The woman on the phone told me that travel insurance coverage would be available in the following circumstances:

- If the payment for the booking is made in full on the FB AMEX card.
- If the payment is made via PayPal (linked to your FB AMEX card).
- If neither AMEX nor PayPal were available as payment methods for your travel booking.

I personally wasn't aware of / hadn't appreciated the second two instances of coverage before.

Last edited by vanderlow; Jun 26, 2013 at 5:33 am Reason: Capitalisation!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.