Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
I just got an email that this benefit is ending on April 23rd.

Nous vous informons que le programme d’avantages Fnac – American Express et les différents bénéfices associés prendront fin le 23 avril 2018 (barème de Miles ou de points Membership Rewards® spécifique sur les achats Fnac, bonus supplémentaire de 5% crédité sur le compte fidélité sous réserve de conditions, la carte adhérent Fnac One offerte).
I received it too. Another downgrade of this card benefits
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
I'm considering switching from the amex AF platinum to the standard Amex Platinum. Benefits of the AF branded one are getting weaker and weaker...
Wunk likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
I'm considering switching from the amex AF platinum to the standard Amex Platinum. Benefits of the AF branded one are getting weaker and weaker...
I agree, except for giving someone Platinum FB status if you have the Platinum card. That can be worth it in some cases.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
I agree, except for giving someone Platinum FB status if you have the Platinum card. That can be worth it in some cases.
I would think that in those cases the partner-card has zero value for those that travel together. And for Platinum-for-life people, the the main card comes only with the extra miles as a benefit. I wonder how many people have "sold" the extra AF/KL Platinum level.
To add insult to injury, KLM in The Netherlands has just significantly increased the fee they charge for their own co-branded card. What remains is an expensive INSURANCE card, because in the AMEX world the card is not recognised as AMEX Platinum; it's more like AMEX Blue with insurance..
I have been told (and thus i may be wrong) that the large difference in fee between gold and platina, is caused by the comprehensive car rental insurance. However, in the new FlyingBlue Reinvented scheme, the differences in Experience points earned with gold/platinum are minimal.

Having said that, I do find the service from AMEX very good and also claiming mishaps from insurance is easy and claims are processed quickly.

How much i would love to see a good review of travel insurance available for frequent flyers.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emviflyer
To add insult to injury, KLM in The Netherlands has just significantly increased the fee they charge for their own co-branded card.
What's even worse is that AMEX is the only non-business credit card that KLM charge their fee for at this point. Can't wait to get rid of mine after several years.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:54 am

Having said that, I do find the service from AMEX very good and also claiming mishaps from insurance is easy and claims are processed quickly.
I can say the same for my ABN/ICS issued Mastercard which basically comes for free.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would think that in those cases the partner-card has zero value for those that travel together. And for Platinum-for-life people, the the main card comes only with the extra miles as a benefit. I wonder how many people have "sold" the extra AF/KL Platinum level.
I said some cases. One case is where the two do not travel together. Another case is where the couple have two children, and thus can each "guest" a child into the lounge. There are other cases. I'm Plat for Life, which means that as long as I keep paying the annual fee for the FB Platinum Amex, I can gift Platinum status to someone. It has value for me. Plus the miles. We have yet to see what the practical result of the new program is on award tickets, as each of us may have different patterns to our reward purchases. I'll wait and see.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much i would love to see a good review of travel insurance available for frequent flyers.
The difficulty with that is that the market for retail insurance, including travel insurance, is essentially national: insurance products available in France will be different to those available in the UK, which will in turn be different to those available in Germany or the US or India or China, etc...
International fora like FT are not the best for comparing those kinds of things. National consumer rights-oriented websites tend to be a bit better at providing meaningful comparisons between insurance products.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up

I just got an email that this benefit is ending on April 23rd.

Nous vous informons que le programme d’avantages Fnac – American Express et les différents bénéfices associés prendront fin le 23 avril 2018 (barème de Miles ou de points Membership Rewards® spécifique sur les achats Fnac, bonus supplémentaire de 5% crédité sur le compte fidélité sous réserve de conditions, la carte adhérent Fnac One offerte).
I got another email today from FNAC that says I have the option of keeping the card for an extra year for free.

Nous vous informons que le programme commun d'avantages Fnac-American Express prendra fin le 23 avril 2018. Dans ce contexte, afin de vous remercier de votre fidélité, la Fnac a le plaisir de vous proposer la carte Fnac + gratuitement pour une durée d'un an*.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
I got another email today from FNAC that says I have the option of keeping the card for an extra year for free.

Nous vous informons que le programme commun d'avantages Fnac-American Express prendra fin le 23 avril 2018. Dans ce contexte, afin de vous remercier de votre fidélité, la Fnac a le plaisir de vous proposer la carte Fnac + gratuitement pour une durée d'un an*.
Which card are you referring to when you say: I have the option of keeping the card
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
I can say the same for my ABN/ICS issued Mastercard which basically comes for free.
I used to have an ABN mastercard (indeed for free), but without any insurance to speak off.
And for non-residents (in Nld) insurance is virtually non existing.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC

Over here we get to keep the One card forever so, in the end, we don't lose that much.

Nous vous informons que le programme commun d'avantages Fnac-American Express prendra fin le 23 avril 2018. Cependant, afin de vous remercier de votre fidélité, la Fnac souhaite vous faire bénéficier du statut One de manière permanente.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Cancelling my AFKL Platinum after years of low six figure annual spend. Screw this.
Wunk likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Honestly, what is left in the AFKL platinum amex card that makes it worth 600 euros compared to a regular AMEX plat?

AFKL AMEX PLAT:
60 XP a year (1 international business class roundtrip basically)
Platinum for 2 if you are plat member

annnddd... I'm drawing blanks from here honestly.

The regular amex plat is 100 euro's more expensive, but you still get 1.5 amex points per Euro spent, which you can credit 1:1 towards AFKL miles OR any other program (clear flexibility benefit there), so the award miles earning isn't an incentive here now that level miles are gone.

Added to that, regular AMEX PLAT also gets you priority pass lounge access, which isn't even in the airline-based card.

Time to do a switch I guess
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:48 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I thought that the transfer of amex points to FB was done at a 5:4 ratio?

In the end it much depends on one's requirement. If you are struggling to keep your status an FB Amex card could be a great way to get extra segments. If that is not a concern the normal card has quite a few advantages, like the Priority pass benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.