Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:38 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Brendan88
Does any one who recently has upgraded/ordered a Plat FB Amex know how long it takes until they give my partner a Plat FB status? I know that when Plat for 2 was introduced it took ages but how is it now?
I switched the Platinum for 2 to a different person in August 2014: it took roughly 4 weeks to get it sorted (plus numerous calls to Amex/FB to get it sorted).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Does any one who recently has upgraded/ordered a Plat FB Amex know how long it takes until they give my partner a Plat FB status? I know that when Plat for 2 was introduced it took ages but how is it now?
With me it was almost the same time. Got to Platinum on 31st of December (yes, just before midnight haha) and two days later the partner card was also upgraded to the same status.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
Thanks Gajan and Kevin for your experience.
I didn't want to wait a month to find out that they did or did not change my partners status. So I contacted KLM on Facebook, they asked for some details and told me that they would get back to me. 24 hours later they sent me a message that they updated her status to Platinum.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks Gajan and Kevin for your experience.
I didn't want to wait a month to find out that they did or did not change my partners status. So I contacted KLM on Facebook, they asked for some details and told me that they would get back to me. 24 hours later they sent me a message that they updated her status to Platinum.
The FB team is A+. Great they sorted that out so quickly. Enjoy
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: IHG Pl. Amb / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold /FB Gold / M&M SEN
Unhappy

Originally Posted by diederik
Question - my apologies if this has been asked before, but search didn't give many results.

I am 3100 miles short to re-qualify for Gold. I have the Gold KLM/AF Amex & FB Gold status. This card gives me 1.5 miles per EUR spent. Would it be possible to just buy a flex +/- 2100 EUR ticket on my AMEX, and cancel/refund this next year?

Maybe a bit cheeky, but it seems like a relatively easy way to get these missing level miles so close to the year end.
To update - the plan worked (so far ) and indeed I re-qualified for Gold. Anyone who did the same and had the ticket refunded? I'm about to cancel/refund the ticket, or would it better to wait a bit longer?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:55 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by diederik
To update - the plan worked (so far ) and indeed I re-qualified for Gold. Anyone who did the same and had the ticket refunded? I'm about to cancel/refund the ticket, or would it better to wait a bit longer?
I would say you should be fine, but could always wait and cancel after the card has been sent
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:56 am

Hi all,

I've received an offer by email today, for an Amex Platinum Flying Blue card [France], with a 50k miles bonus and the rest of the usual perks. Fee is as usual (not waived the first year).

http://operation-ae.com/icss_engagem...id=amex3#miles

I currently own an Amex AF Gold card.

Would you all consider this is a good offer? That's basically 1.14 cents a mile if you cancel the card before the second year (can't find the small prints to make sure this is allowed).

Also has anyone managed to get the first year fee waived by negotiating over the phone?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:22 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I do not think the platinum card is ever given out for free. Its supposed to be premium, hence the price tag.

Regarding the cancelation: Even if you cancel 1 day after the yearly renewal, you will be refunded for the rest of the (pre paid) year. So in that aspect they are quite flexible, they will not make you stay another full year.

Last edited by Xandrios; Feb 25, 2015 at 10:06 am
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:58 am

I finally found the small prints. You need to hold the card 6 months to keep the 50k miles. So that's 290 euros. If you already got a gold, they'll also refund the 80 euros for half a year, so in the end you get a 50k bonus for 210 euros.

"Les 50 000 Miles-Prime de bienvenue sont crédités sur votre compte Flying Blue le mois suivant la 1ère dépense effectuée avec la carte. Ce bonus est valable sous réserve d'être titulaire de la carte pendant au moins 6 mois."

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I do not think the platinum card is ever given out for free. Its supposed to be premium, hence the price tag.

Regarding the cancelation: Even if you cancel 1 day after the yearly renewal, you will be refunded for the rest of the (pre paid) year. So in that aspect they are quite flexible, they will not make you stay another full year.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Jumbo supermarket

Did anyone notice that Jumbo supermarket in the Netherlands now accepts creditcards including Amex? I just found out last week - while I almost always shop there - and this is in place since over a year!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by Brobbel
Did anyone notice that Jumbo supermarket in the Netherlands now accepts creditcards including Amex? I just found out last week - while I almost always shop there - and this is in place since over a year!
Yes, it's been discussed - you'll find more details in this thread:

Confirmed changes to KLM Flying Blue American Express cards [The Netherlands]
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: Accor Le Club
Just noticed that since the 1st of March, foreign exchange conversion fees have been raised to 2.8% (from 2.5%).

Physical banks are charging between 2.9% + 0.8€ for BNP and 2.3% + 1€ for La Banque Postale. However, online banks are usually charging 2% - in that case the difference becomes steep.

I made some calculations to evaluate the program profitability:

Using an online bank, an AMEX Silver and assuming a value of 1.3 €cent for each mile earned, the FX fee gap eats up 77% of the program profitability.

With an AMEX Gold and the additional assumption that the 165€ annual fee is spread over a 20k€ annual spend, the mileage earning is nullified by the FX fee gap.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by Airlib
With an AMEX Gold and the additional assumption that the 165€ annual fee is spread over a 20k€ annual spend, the mileage earning is nullified by the FX fee gap.
That is under the assumption that all your spend is outside the Eurozone?

The impact will be lower the more you spend in the Eurozone I presume.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Accor Le Club
Yes, that's only the case for non-Euro transactions.

Also, if one uses a physical bank, which I presume would still be the case for most of us, using AMEX can be quite cheaper for small non-Euro transactions as banks usually charge a percentage and a fixed fee.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by macaron95
just for info for French cardholders

Amex is now partner with FNAC

Amex AF cards are eligible to the offer: free 3-year subscription to the FNAC card instead of €30

after this period, renewal is free for Platinum only

like AF-KLM flights, earn 15 miles for 10€ spent and 20 for plat cards

+5% additional cashback on your FNAC account on top of the usual 5% off high-tech products
I just got an email that this benefit is ending on April 23rd.

Nous vous informons que le programme d’avantages Fnac – American Express et les différents bénéfices associés prendront fin le 23 avril 2018 (barème de Miles ou de points Membership Rewards® spécifique sur les achats Fnac, bonus supplémentaire de 5% crédité sur le compte fidélité sous réserve de conditions, la carte adhérent Fnac One offerte).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.