Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by foxtwo
I just called to cancel my Gold Card before my renewal saying it was no longer attractive to keep it.
They offered 75€ discount on the fee and 3 months extra miles earning rate. Since I am travelling for business a few times in the next months I didn't take it because I won't use my personal card that much. Then she offered a silver card and 5000 miles which I didn't want to take either... I guess it opens a slot in my wallet. Was expecting them to be more generous to be honest considering I did spend quite a bit of money on it. Oh well.
I did the same and they offered me the double miles for the coming 3 months combined with either the €75 discount on the annual fee OR 20.000 miles, so I opted for the 20.000 miles.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: FB Platinum | A3 Gold | BA Silver
Originally Posted by glennhaak
I did the same and they offered me the double miles for the coming 3 months combined with either the €75 discount on the annual fee OR 20.000 miles, so I opted for the 20.000 miles.
I asked if they had any other offer and she said no. Let's see if they try to call me back ;-)
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Back when they stopped offering real discount on the annual fee (or waived entirely), they used the excuse as to saying AMEX US didn't allow anymore discounts. Then I said, well then you should offer a renewal bonus every year....just like AMEX US. Since then I always get the 20.000 bonus OR €50/€75 discount on the annual fee. Well that's a no brainer And the 3 months extra point/miles.

Once I had a real argument and wanted to get some sort of extra compensation, but was told that the 20.000 bonus is really the maximum they can offer. So if anybody ever gets any more, please let us know

I spend over 80k a year on the card. Currently have the standard Amex Plat.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Gifts and more

It's interesting, but not unsuspected, that only those who ask do get discounts or specials.

AMEX Benelux is a bit of an odd one with a few issues and a developing history of lacking the power of doing something about reported problems.
1. Compared to AMEX in USA, the joining and stay bonuses are almost an insult.
2. Blatant errors in their insurance documents take almost 12 months and a lor of follow-up to be corrected.
3. Small (formatting) errors in the monthly statements (gespreide betalingen) are not addressed (after 12+ months)
4. Unlike most other cards, it takes days for expenses to become visible online.
5. Dare I mention the design/look/feel of the website?
6. The Flying Blue Platinum (etc) card is not Platinum but just a basic AMEX card, ignored and refused in the AMEX world. Platinum in this case is only being used to indicate the level (and cost) of the insurance and AF/KL only benefits.
7. A maximum of 2 claims per year seems not a lot for frequent flyers.

However, .... Compared to other cards I use, AMEX service is markedly better, the insurance claim system and process is good, even though it would benefit from some review and most importantly, if there is a payment issue, for AMEX, the customer's interest comes first.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: flying blue
For those who took the offer of FB AMEX renewal discount of 75 euro off membership and extra bonus miles for 3 months. Do check if they credit the extra award miles correctly. On my statement, no extra miles were credited. I called to check and looks like the system didn’t work well. Hopefully it will be added in next statement. So, do keep an eye on it.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sharonchan813
For those who took the offer of FB AMEX renewal discount of 75 euro off membership and extra bonus miles for 3 months. Do check if they credit the extra award miles correctly. On my statement, no extra miles were credited. I called to check and looks like the system didn’t work well. Hopefully it will be added in next statement. So, do keep an eye on it.
I never had a problem with this in the past. It always kicks in the next business day and then 3 months onwards. Good catch though! I do have to see that with MR points it's more easy to see, since you can look at your point collection on a day-to-day bases. For FB you have to wait and see the monthly deposit and then do your own math.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by emviflyer
(...)most importantly, if there is a payment issue, for AMEX, the customer's interest comes first.
Yes, yes and yes.

Own experience of 2 undue charges :

- Amex: temporary credit till issue was cleared and solved
- Bank card: quote from CS representative "transfer funds from your savings account till the issue is cleared and solved so your balance is not in the red and your account is not blocked". It took over 2 months to establish that the charges in Vietnam where I had never been were illegitimate.

Which attitude do you favour?
​​
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Same with my bank: Although the airline had charged (did not accept AMEX) a reservation for the same amount was still outstanding. "you will have to fill in a from.. to get this reversed". Thank you ING
With AMEX when tickets were booked in Ecuador (where i didn't go at that time): We will immediately reverse the charge.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:04 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
XP’s for level Miles?

On my recent FB activity it shows:
“Amex AF KLM spend - conversion level miles into XP”

I bought 2 tickets in March, I would assume it is for those tickets (as I got 2 x 10 XP).
Old May 7, 2018, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Gajan
On my recent FB activity it shows:
“Amex AF KLM spend - conversion level miles into XP”

I bought 2 tickets in March, I would assume it is for those tickets (as I got 2 x 10 XP).
I have exactly the same (and same amount of XPs). Not sure what this is
Old May 7, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: FB Gold, MB Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Goldorak

I have exactly the same (and same amount of XPs). Not sure what this is
I got it as well: 21XP for 4193 level miles for my AF/KL spend. Seems they are converting at 1XP per 200 level miles. If this is how they're going to do it from now on it will greatly add to the value of the card, or actually undo the devaluation that I thought would happen after the FB change.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by mpkossen
I got it as well: 21XP for 4193 level miles for my AF/KL spend. Seems they are converting at 1XP per 200 level miles. If this is how they're going to do it from now on it will greatly add to the value of the card, or actually undo the devaluation that I thought would happen after the FB change.
I got 65 extra XP!!! What a surprise!! These are for the missing XP (my AF/KL spend in mid-end March) which were not taken into account when they convert level miles to XP on 31 March because these transactions were shown on my statement in April. I was actually not expecting that they will do that. Wow!! Very happy! 😄
By the way, they convert per 1000 level miles to 5XP. In your case 4193 is indeed 20XP.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Haven't had my miles credited yet. I bought 2 RTT business tickets to US/CA last month with a total spend of ~5k, so let's see if this is for real.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
AF just added 30XPs to my account (?)

**Corrected** 40 XPs....

So just logged into my account and saw this. I thought there was no XP being given anymore for AF purchases using the Amex/AFKL card....?

Anyone know what this is?
  • 07 May 2018

AMEX AF KLM SPEND - CONVERSION LEVEL MILES INTO XP

+0 Miles

+5 XP
  • 07 May 2018

+0 Miles

+5 XP
  • 07 May 2018

+0 Miles

+5 XP
  • 07 May 2018

+0 Miles

+5 XP
  • 07 May 2018

+0 Miles

+5 XP
  • 07 May 2018

+0 Miles

+5 XP
  • 07 May 2018

+0 Miles

+5 XP
  • 07 May 2018

+0 Miles

+5 XP
Luckyluke75 likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:02 pm

I got 65 extra XP!!! What a surprise!! These are for the missing XP (my AF/KL spend in mid-end March) which were not taken into account when they convert level miles to XP on 31 March because these transactions were shown on my statement in April. I was actually not expecting that they will do that. Wow!! Very happy! 😄

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.