Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
closure

Originally Posted by emviflyer
There is not more to the story.
1. I reported a lost card to agent 1
2. A week later agent 2 told me that no replacement card had been ordered, but that she would do so. When she mentioned delivery at the holiday destination I declined, because it was a campervan trip. She said that she could not deliver to Nld on time before departure.
3. The next day I read on the website about 24h delivery and I called again, still 24h before departure and agent 3 told me there was no way to deliver w/i 24h.

That's it. What more could possibly be behind this from my side?
And, you misread my post. I don't judge AMEX. I only reported my experience and warned readers not to depend on the "often" 24h promise.

In addition, None of the agents took any initiative to offer me an fit-for-purpose emergency solution, as also promised on the website.

AMEX has no email route to complain. Just the agents on the phone.
CLOSURE: For another matter I needed to call AMEX, but i could not resist mentioning my previous experiences. This time the agent understood the problem, confirmed that my expectations were reasonable and in line with AMEX' goals and that AMEX could and should have given a better service.. The help I needed for was given flawlessly and quickly. Based on her answers I am very confident that follow-up action with regard to the errors made will be taken. Confidence in AMEX customer services restored.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Credit/Charge Card

Are these AF/KLM AMEX cards - charge cards or credit cards? Heard someone at work say they had no credit limit thus I assumed they were charge cards??
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: FB platinum
They are charge cards because you need to pay the balance in full every month (except for the payment in 3 times option for the AFKL tickets).
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:26 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
And there is a limit - but its quite high. Amex has actually a page somewhere where you can enter a number and check if it would be allowed with your card/spending pattern.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Amex has actually a page somewhere where you can enter a number and check if it would be allowed with your card/spending pattern.
Interesting, can you explain where to find this page? My understanding is that the limit increases over time if everything goes smoothly (but there might still be a hard limit at some point)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tranmerechris
Are these AF/KLM AMEX cards - charge cards or credit cards?
credit card

Originally Posted by lynxy
Heard someone at work say they had no credit limit thus I assumed they were charge cards?? ..... My understanding is that the limit increases over time if everything goes smoothly (but there might still be a hard limit at some point)
there is a limit , but you can ask for a raise, and its up to amex to decide , of course if your father is a saudi prince then yes sky is the limit
you need to pay the balance in full every month
This is not the definition of a credit or debit card
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:02 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Interesting, can you explain where to find this page? My understanding is that the limit increases over time if everything goes smoothly (but there might still be a hard limit at some point)
For the dutch Amex there is a link after logging in. For me it links to this page: https://global.americanexpress.com/a...spending-power

The results were surprising to me. The limit is not in the neighborhood of what other cards typically use.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:36 am

Thanks, indeed it seems to "work", appart from the missing french translations

Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
The results were surprising to me. The limit is not in the neighborhood of what other cards typically use.
For me as well, almost twice my yearly spent
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:53 am

For the dutch Amex there is a link after logging in. For me it links to this page: https://global.americanexpress.com/a...spending-power

But unlike other credit cards, they don't allow you to spread that amount over time (with the exception of AF/KL tickets), so as long you can actually pay it at the end of the month
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
For me it was in the neighborhood of my annual spend.

A few years back, due to a major mess-up in our accounting dept, I had to charge plane tickets, hotels, and meals over three days for a group of 45 people to my FB AmEx. It came down to a eye-wateringly high five-digit number, but then I raked in enough miles for two long-haul economy return flights.
fifty_two likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Question Help please, keep Silver or go Platinum?

Hi guys,

Your help is needed but not sure if it's the right thread/place to ask for such advice. also I did not read all the posts to check if this was asked before! my bad.

I'm a Amex FB Silver card holder since 2016, A few weeks ago, Amex sent me promotional stuffs incl. a letter an email to upgrade to the Amex FB Gold with 10 k miles and a €50 eur voucher to use with AF/KL. The cost of €165/year did not incite me to jump immediately at this "great" offer though.

Last week, I saw the regular FB Gold offer stipulating that the first year is free of charge (but with less miles and no voucher), so yesterday I've called Amex to check if the free first year would/could apply to my email deal.
The answer was no obviously, but the agent informed me (along with the usual commercial blah blah... ) that I was eligible to the Amex FB Platinum card without problem and moreover, until next Thursday I think, instead of the normal 20k miles, the bonus would be 50 k miles.

Why is it possible for me to get this card since my earning requirements are way below the expected €65k/year?
Should I go for it then even if €570 fee remains rather steep?
Has anyone else got this offer?
Many thanks
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
[QUOTE=flying_blue_white_red;30314103] Hi guys......Should I go for it then even if €570 fee remains rather steep/QUOTE]

50k miles for 570€ is a very good mileage run !
Think that you earn only 32k miles on AF LHR-SIN in First class and only if you are Platinum..( 2018 april fool )

Last edited by delanotre; Oct 14, 2018 at 10:30 am
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Hi guys,

Your help is needed but not sure if it's the right thread/place to ask for such advice. also I did not read all the posts to check if this was asked before! my bad.

I'm a Amex FB Silver card holder since 2016, A few weeks ago, Amex sent me promotional stuffs incl. a letter an email to upgrade to the Amex FB Gold with 10 k miles and a €50 eur voucher to use with AF/KL. The cost of €165/year did not incite me to jump immediately at this "great" offer though.

Last week, I saw the regular FB Gold offer stipulating that the first year is free of charge (but with less miles and no voucher), so yesterday I've called Amex to check if the free first year would/could apply to my email deal.
The answer was no obviously, but the agent informed me (along with the usual commercial blah blah... ) that I was eligible to the Amex FB Platinum card without problem and moreover, until next Thursday I think, instead of the normal 20k miles, the bonus would be 50 k miles.

Why is it possible for me to get this card since my earning requirements are way below the expected €65k/year?
Should I go for it then even if €570 fee remains rather steep?
Has anyone else got this offer?
Many thanks
What about:
- getting the gold card with 10000miles, 50€ and 30XP this year
- getting the plat card (50kmiles, 60xp, platfor2 ?) next year ?

Total is 60000miles for (570+165-50=685€)
Amex usually runs promotions like this every year in sept-oct (got them every fall since 5y)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It's definitely worth it and maybe not just for the 50K miles. Platinum can get you some nice perks and offers from time to time. But even if you can't take advantage of those, you should try it out for a year and then drop back down to gold or silver if you don't use the benefits. If you happen to get yourself to FB Platinum then the best benefit is bestowing FB Platinum status on your SO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.