Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by crescatfloreat
Why not just get the Passport Card and be rid of the states' nonsense with regards to their "real" and "unreal" IDs?
ooh good idea. It’ll be a good backup. I know there’s a fee but that’s ok.

Originally Posted by dvpatel
Not sure if you are using sane logic. We got our UNREAL ID converted to a REAL one effortlessly. We took an appointment at the DMV, took our required documents which they scanned and gave them back to us, we paid the $13 needed fees for a duplicate license and we got our REAL star Driver's license in 2 weeks. This was in Julyish 2019 so pre-Covid. Since they keep extending, now, it seems, we wasted $13 x 2 as we could have done it at next renewal but my renewal is in 2022.
My CA dmv (in-person in 2018?) advised that they actually take my actual CA DL during the REAL DL process and I didn’t like the idea of not having a photo id; they only give a piece of paper as a temporary CA DL. It would also be unfun if I needed a photo id inbetween the time of going to dmv and returning home. So I’m less in a rush to change my CA DL if I don’t need it. I have zero intl travel plans and still will order my passport soon - and I like the idea of that passport card. It would at least be fun.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:13 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Please visit the "Travel Safety & Security board for discussion on Real ID. This thread should only be focused on passport issuance.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:28 pm

Success! Passport received. I ordered a passport card and that came a few days later.

My timeline:

3/11: Mailed priority mail, normal handling
3/17: Website reflects "in process"
3/18: Check cashed
4/24: Passport received
4/27: Passport card received
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Advice?

My wife applied for her first passport in the post office on 3/31. The status update still says "Not Available" and the check hasn't been cashed. No way to track delivery since everything was just collected at the post office during her appointment. Calling the national hotline wasn't any help, they couldn't find any record of having received it yet. They basically just said to keep waiting. We're afraid it's lost, is there anything we can do? Would the post office keep any tracking info when they send out a batch of applications? Would the national hotline be able to start any kind of investigation? Any use contacting local representative or senator at this point? Or should we just sit tight in hope it goes to "In process" at some point?
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:45 am

My wife's case is similar. She applied at USPS for first time passort on 3/27 and status still shows "Not available". Called the local post office this morning and they said that they sent out passport applications everyday and have nothing to do with it, once it leaves the Post office. It takes 10-12 weeks as per them to get new passport back.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
My wife applied for her first passport in the post office on 3/31. The status update still says "Not Available" and the check hasn't been cashed. No way to track delivery since everything was just collected at the post office during her appointment. Calling the national hotline wasn't any help, they couldn't find any record of having received it yet. They basically just said to keep waiting. We're afraid it's lost, is there anything we can do? Would the post office keep any tracking info when they send out a batch of applications? Would the national hotline be able to start any kind of investigation? Any use contacting local representative or senator at this point? Or should we just sit tight in hope it goes to "In process" at some point?
Originally Posted by Traveler2021
My wife's case is similar. She applied at USPS for first time passort on 3/27 and status still shows "Not available". Called the local post office this morning and they said that they sent out passport applications everyday and have nothing to do with it, once it leaves the Post office. It takes 10-12 weeks as per them to get new passport back.

Your applications are not lost. Please read the earlier posts in this thread - it is taking up to 6 weeks for regularly mailed applications (including those accepted at a US Post Orifice!) to be received and officially entered into the system with the checks typically cashed within 3 days of being officially received. Regular processing is then taking 10-12 weeks; expedited processing is varying from a week to 3 weeks.

The state dept passport website provides an option to register to receive email notifications about status changes - it does work; you might wish to register for it.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:42 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Section 107
Your applications are not lost. Please read the earlier posts in this thread - it is taking up to 6 weeks for regularly mailed applications (including those accepted at a US Post Orifice!) to be received and officially entered into the system with the checks typically cashed within 3 days of being officially received. Regular processing is then taking 10-12 weeks; expedited processing is varying from a week to 3 weeks.

The state dept passport website provides an option to register to receive email notifications about status changes - it does work; you might wish to register for it.
Post Orifice is a good Freudian slip! It truly is like a black hole.
To summarise: if you haven't chosen Priority Mail Express or at the very least Priority Mail it might take forever to even arrive. And even Express seems to be slower these days - as in my case...
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Traveler2021
Thanks, we're probably in the same boat. I was walking by the post office today and the clerk looked up my wife's application. She said they bundle each day's applications and mail them together at the end of the day. She ran the tracking number and saw that the bundle with her application was delivered on April 3.

Thanks, the passport website says the status checker can take up for 4 weeks to reflect an application. I didn't see any earlier posts about it taking 6 weeks to receive and enter them into the system. If it then takes 10-12 weeks after that to process, the application website should warn you that it takes up to 18 weeks to get a passport. The way it's worded now it sounds like you'll get it back in 12 weeks from when they receive it, but it's actually 12 weeks from when when enter it into the system (and it can take up to 6 weeks to "receive" it).

I got my passport renewed last year in just 13 days (from mailing at the post office to receiving the new one in hand, with just routine service), so things have really slowed down since then.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:32 pm

Thanks, everyone. We already registered at DOS's site for wife's cases email notification but didn't get any email back yet. In my passport's case, which I had applied just 2 weeks prior (on 3/15) , my case was "In Process" & email sent by 3/19 from same exact Post Office. So, I think more people getting vaccinated is increasing passport applications volume.
Old May 1, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
+1

I'm in the same boat as FallenPlat re TTP not accepting a new passport. I'm thinking the back end system only updates once or twice per month (unbelievable, right?) and am simply trying once per day to make my passport update on the TTP website. I'll report back as to the number of days it takes from the date a passport is issued to the date that TTP website will accept that new passport number.
And indeed, with the new month, TTP now accepts my new passport information. Rejected yesterday, accepted today.
Old May 2, 2021, 8:25 am

Another data point on regular service being serviced in Philadelphia. Took almost a month to start processing.

3/02/21: Mailed application by Priority mail
3/12/21: Application received in Philadelphia, PA (a week late, thanks USPS)
4/09/21: Status updated to "In Process" and check cashed

The rest is TBD. No INTL travel planned but hoping to get it back before a June Global Entry interview so I dont lose the appointment.
Old May 4, 2021, 9:22 am

Planning to travel 6/26

sent in my renewal non-expedited since at the time the estimated wait wasn't as long as it currently is
delivered my priority mail 4/1
still showing status not available and my check has not been cashed.

4/29 (4 weeks) called at 8am when they opened and the estimated hold time was 12 minutes, left a call back number. They called back 1:20 minutes later when i was on another call.
called back in just before 10:30 and the estimated wait was 30+ minutes with no call back option. I left it on speaker and finally got through 2:12 later!
she searched by name as well as ssn but nothing in the system, said to keep an eye on the website and it will update eventually and i should have it in time.

I still have time left, not sure what I can do at this point. She said once it is in the system i can upgrade to expedited via credit card over the phone so i will have to do that it seems.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by geoffk
Planning to travel 6/26

sent in my renewal non-expedited since at the time the estimated wait wasn't as long as it currently is
delivered my priority mail 4/1
still showing status not available and my check has not been cashed.

4/29 (4 weeks) called at 8am when they opened and the estimated hold time was 12 minutes, left a call back number. They called back 1:20 minutes later when i was on another call.
called back in just before 10:30 and the estimated wait was 30+ minutes with no call back option. I left it on speaker and finally got through 2:12 later!
she searched by name as well as ssn but nothing in the system, said to keep an eye on the website and it will update eventually and i should have it in time.

I still have time left, not sure what I can do at this point. She said once it is in the system i can upgrade to expedited via credit card over the phone so i will have to do that it seems.
nothing you can really do until it gets accepted/entered into the system. However, you can register for email updates on the passport status website - the updates work. So once you get the notice it has been accepted east you will get an update and then if getting too close to travel time you can contact your congresscritter's office for assistance. State is advising 10-12 weeks for routine processing after acceptance. So just keep an eye on it.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:58 pm

I'm on the same boat. My minor's application was done in USPS office on 4/9 at USPS office (regular service) and still the online tracking based on Last Name, DOB and SSN shows as "not available". The USPS receipt has no information to track our application. And our flight is on 6/13. I am thinking of reaching out to my congress representative but don't think he/she will do much help with no tracking or other information. Any suggestions on what I can do since the DoS website itself says the threshold for case inquiry is 4 weeks?
Old May 4, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
And now I'm the same as mnbp: after three (!) weeks, the Global Entry website finally accepted my updated passport information. Thanks to all the posters who told me what to expect, and to wait, since I really didn't want to drive out to DFW for an on-site update.
mnbp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.