Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by hawkinsb
So I submitted a renewal by mail for a family member on 4/23/21, and my check hasn't been cashed on 6/4/21. Is anyone else seeing long delays?
I suspect you have not read any of the previous posts in this thread...

Almost everyone else is experiencing significant delays: as much as 6 weeks for application to be received and check cashed; up to an additional 12 weeks after receipt/cashing of check for new passports to be issued/received.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Christophe Verbinnen
Hello everyone,

my expedited passports for my two sons were approved Wednesday June 2nd but still don’t have a tracking number. I need to fly out on Thursday and we’re getting very nervous. I see most people got their tracking a few hours after being approved. Should I be concerned?
Suggest calling the customer service number on the passport processing status page with your case number. They will then send you an email with the tracking number.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 2:53 pm

I did that this morning, I had to stay 4h30 on hold but they did give the tracking right there on the phone. Never got the Mailed notification via email. Arrived this afternoon.
Applied exactly 2 weeks ago to the day.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:01 pm

Passport adult renewal (book only), routine processing

4/24 Sent via priority express to the Irving TX address for California residents
4/27 Delivered to/received at Irving TX (express guarantee was by 3 pm 4/26)
5/24 Email, application in process
5/25 Check cleared
6/1 Email, application approved, book being printed, should receive on/around 6/7
6/1 Email, passport shipping, tracking #
6/2 Another Email, application approved, book being printed, should receive on/around 6/9
6/4 Received new book, priority mail
____ old passport received

Indirectly related to passport processing times:
5/11 applied for USPS priority express refund since it was delivered the day after guaranteed 2 day delivery; refund appeared to be automatically approved and a check will be sent
5/24 received check from USPS for priority express refund

Thoughts: I should've used regular priority mail w/tracking, not express, but with USPS refund it was free to send in the end. Pleased/surprised with the fast routine turnaround; expected 10 weeks after email acknowledging application in process.
txviking likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
UPDATE for Renewal of Minors' passports w/o expedited processingSince the kids are under 16 renewal must be in-person with both parents. Our appt was at the local post office. Took about 30 minutes to process, including taking two photos. In addition to the standard passbook & card fees with regular delivery service (not expedited), we were charged USPS processing fee for both, fees for two photographs, fees for photocopies of 7 pages of forms and documents (I think that should have come out of the USPS processing fee!) and, since paying electronically by credit/debit card - two fees to convert the electronic payment to two money orders. Will provide processing details as available:

3/15 Renewal Applications submitted
3/30 Status on Passport Application Status Page: Application Not Found (both applications).
Web page says if online status is "not found" after 2 weeks to call the center. Called around 3:50pm; 42 minutes on hold before speaking to service agent. Agent also did not find either application. Agent stated applications for minors are processed in Philadelphia after going through a postal security screening center which is very backed up; said check in another week and call back if still "not found."
4/15 Status on Passport Application Status Page: Application Not Found (both applications).
4/20 Received email notification applications received. Status webpage states: "The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book and card on 04/20/2021. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents. You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing in 10-12 weeks. Your application locator number is xxx"
6/3 1711 hrs - Received email notification for both applications: "Application status: approved. You should receive your book and card around June 9."
6/3 1901 hrs - Received email notification for both applications: "DoS has shipped your book and card using Priority Mail. Click confirmation number xxxxx to track. You should receive passport around June 9."
Tracking number indicates passports/books being sent from Little Rock, Arkansas distribution center and should arrive on June 7. If they arrive as scheduled it will have taken 12 weeks from submission of application to delivery.
6/5 1000 hrs -- both passport books received - 2 days earlier than expected! Interesting that it took 5 weeks to get from the post office in DC to DoS processing center in Filthadelphia but only 36 hours to get halfway across the country from Arkansas to DC. I guess USPS really does take to heart the "under-promise/over-deliver" mantra...

NOTE: Be aware that the notification from DoS that passport books and cards "have been shipped" and providing a single tracking number certainly gives the impression that the books/cards are being delivered together. However, in fact, they are shipped separately so you will receive 3 mail items from DoS - passport books, passport cards, and original application documents. In our case, this will be 6 items because of applications for 2 kids.

If they are sending all 6 items via priority mail then I completely understand why our national deficit/debt is so high.....
Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:44 am

Is it worth calling the passport help line to try to speed things up? I know most people are on hold for 2-4 hours and I'm wondering if it's worth the wait or if they will just tell me I have to wait until it's processed?
I have tried contacting my senator but no reply yet. I travel on 6/19 and am worried I won't get my passport back in time even though I paid to get it expedited.

Any tips are much appreciated
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:40 pm

What is the expected timeframe for supporting documents to be returned?

4/30 Applied for the passport and passport book for the first time (expedited)
5/22 Passport received
5/27 Passport book received
as of 6/7 - supporting documents (certificate of naturalization) not retuned yet.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 2:20 pm

Did you pay to get it expedited? Yours seems to have come quick!!
Old Jun 7, 2021, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by marilawfra
Is it worth calling the passport help line to try to speed things up? I know most people are on hold for 2-4 hours and I'm wondering if it's worth the wait or if they will just tell me I have to wait until it's processed?
I have tried contacting my senator but no reply yet. I travel on 6/19 and am worried I won't get my passport back in time even though I paid to get it expedited.

Any tips are much appreciated
when calling passport services you can choose to have them call you back instead of waiting on hold....the system works.

On the passport status webpage you can sign-up for email notifications on your application...the system works. well.

You should already have received an application case number. If you have this number, call the passport status line and give them the number - they will be able to give you information. Remind them you paid for expedited service.

If you do not have the case number already, go to the passport status page and check the status - when it provides your status it will also give your case number and will tell you if they have you down for expedited service; takes just a few seconds. If you paid for expedited service but the page indicates they have you as regular service, then you should call your congresscritter's office (senator or representative) and ask them to assist. Having the case number will make their efforts much easier.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 3:11 pm

when calling passport services you can choose to have them call you back instead of waiting on hold....the system works.

On the passport status webpage you can sign-up for email notifications on your application...the system works. well.

You should already have received an application case number. If you have this number, call the passport status line and give them the number - they will be able to give you information. Remind them you paid for expedited service.

If you do not have the case number already, go to the passport status page and check the status - when it provides your status it will also give your case number and will tell you if they have you down for expedited service; takes just a few seconds. If you paid for expedited service but the page indicates they have you as regular service, then you should call your congresscritter's office (senator or representative) and ask them to assist. Having the case number will make their efforts much easier.
Yes I do have my case number and the website reflects that I paid expedited. I was just trying to figure out ways to speed it up (like we all are lol) as I have a trip booked in the next couple of weeks. The call back system for the help line doesn't seem to be working, but I have heard back from my senator's office so fingers crossed that will work!

Thank you
Old Jun 7, 2021, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by marilawfra
Did you pay to get it expedited? Yours seems to have come quick!!
Yes, I applied at USPS and paid $60 for expedited service.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
6/5 1000 hrs -- both passport books received - 2 days earlier than expected! Interesting that it took 5 weeks to get from the post office in DC to DoS processing center in Filthadelphia but only 36 hours to get halfway across the country from Arkansas to DC. I guess USPS really does take to heart the "under-promise/over-deliver" mantra...

NOTE: Be aware that the notification from DoS that passport books and cards "have been shipped" and providing a single tracking number certainly gives the impression that the books/cards are being delivered together. However, in fact, they are shipped separately so you will receive 3 mail items from DoS - passport books, passport cards, and original application documents. In our case, this will be 6 items because of applications for 2 kids.

If they are sending all 6 items via priority mail then I completely understand why our national deficit/debt is so high.....
The book will come by either Priority Mail Express or Priority Mail depending on whether you paid for expedited delivery or not (with a tracking number.)
The passport card comes regular first class mail in a standard business size window envelope; much like a new credit card (no tracking number.)
The application documents usually come regular first class mail in a smallish manila envelope (no tracking number.)
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:24 pm

Another timeline for expedited Passport Book / Card:

5/4 Mailed Priority Mail Express from CA
5/6 Arrived in PA
5/11 Bank shows check cashed
6/4 at 6pm PST received email notification that passport application had been accepted on 5/12
6/4 at 8pm PST email notification that passport application was approved
6/7 Passport book/card shipped from AZ
6/9 Scheduled delivery

One thing to add is I was checking my passport status every few days throughout and got the same "Not found" message until the morning of 6/4 when it showed accepted, and then I got my first email update later that night
txviking likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
I managed to snag an expedite appointment in Honolulu and I'm wondering if the passport is issued same day (considering the requirement of having travel planed within 3 days to get the appointment). How do they count the 3 days, from appointment time or 12am the following day?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:48 am

Update

04/09/21 Mailed my passport renewal via priority
04/13/21 delivered Ivring TX from NV.
05/26/21 Showing in process 10 to 12 weeks.
05/27/21 email my local congressman in N Vegas
06/04/21 Called passport Agency on hold for 3 hours. Gave them my CC info and said I would get a call back in 3 days.
06/07/2021 Congressman office called me back to see if I had received my passport. Told them No. Said she would reach out to passport agency on my behalf, but there was 70 other people always wait for passports in my area.
06/08/21 passport agency reached out to me due to congressman outreach. Paid $77.56 to have my passport expedited and overnight shipping via UPS.
06/09/21 Congressman office called me to inform me that passport was printed and ready to ship.
06/10/21 52 Page passport delivered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.