Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
I managed to snag an expedite appointment in Honolulu and I'm wondering if the passport is issued same day (considering the requirement of having travel planed within 3 days to get the appointment). How do they count the 3 days, from appointment time or 12am the following day?
Depends on the office and circumstances, but typically they are issued the same day, usually just a few hours of meeting with them.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The 3 days to get or thing would probably be 3 days from/within day of appointment, I think. It’s not been tied to any kind of firm 12am or 72 hour stuff in my experience.

Originally Posted by Section 107
Depends on the office and circumstances, but typically they are issued the same day, usually just a few hours of meeting with them.
Most of mine domestically have involved being told to come in the same afternoon or the next day to pick them up. But at times what I was told sort of depended on what time I got the application in and what was the indicated travel date for the applicant. But all of that from my side is for pre-pandemic applications.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by dnLwire
04/09/21 Mailed my passport renewal via priority
04/13/21 delivered Ivring TX from NV.
05/26/21 Showing in process 10 to 12 weeks.
05/27/21 email my local congressman in N Vegas
06/04/21 Called passport Agency on hold for 3 hours. Gave them my CC info and said I would get a call back in 3 days.
06/07/2021 Congressman office called me back to see if I had received my passport. Told them No. Said she would reach out to passport agency on my behalf, but there was 70 other people always wait for passports in my area.
06/08/21 passport agency reached out to me due to congressman outreach. Paid $77.56 to have my passport expedited and overnight shipping via UPS.
06/09/21 Congressman office called me to inform me that passport was printed and ready to ship.
06/10/21 52 Page passport delivered.
March and April are the two busiest months for new passports and also renewals. Alternatively, November through mid-December is the slowest time period. So between peak application season and COVID possibly causing staffing issues, i'm not surprised you were quoted 10-12 weeks. I certainly would not have bothered my congressman.....
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by dklogic
What is the expected timeframe for supporting documents to be returned?

4/30 Applied for the passport and passport book for the first time (expedited)
5/22 Passport received
5/27 Passport book received
as of 6/7 - supporting documents (certificate of naturalization) not retuned yet.
Supporting documents finally arrived 6/11
Old Jun 12, 2021, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA Plt HertzpresC Avisfirst
Originally Posted by Christophe Verbinnen
Hello everyone,

my expedited passports for my two sons were approved Wednesday June 2nd but still don’t have a tracking number. I need to fly out on Thursday and we’re getting very nervous. I see most people got their tracking a few hours after being approved. Should I be concerned?
Where and when did you apply?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: none
did you get your appointment scheduled online? I am having quite a time seeing any appointments available anywhere in the country.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: none
did you make your appointment online?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:54 pm

Hey, what ended up happening with you passport? Did you submit a case with you senator and did they end up getting it expedited to you on time>
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:26 pm

Does anyone have experience reaching out to their member of congress? I paid expedited shipping and it was "in process" on May 20. I reached out to my house rep. on June 9th, and no change in my passport status. I understand that it's only been three business days but it seems like everyone whose reached out has seen a status update within like two days after submitting paperwork to their member of congress.

Can anyone say how long it may have taken them to get their book after reaching out to their senator/house rep? I might go to another senator to do this since I haven't heard from the one I already reached out to. Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:59 am

I am in the same boat. My Passport app was accepted on 5/14 and has been “In Process” for a few weeks. I contacted my Senators office on Thursday 6/10 and they have reached out on my behalf. I have travel plans this Sunday and still “In Process” for expedited service. I feel this is taking longer than others I’ve seen in this post and nervous it won’t be here in time.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Cmore34
I am in the same boat. My Passport app was accepted on 5/14 and has been “In Process” for a few weeks. I contacted my Senators office on Thursday 6/10 and they have reached out on my behalf. I have travel plans this Sunday and still “In Process” for expedited service. I feel this is taking longer than others I’ve seen in this post and nervous it won’t be here in time.
On reddit, I saw someone said it took a week after initial outreach from their congressional member for the status to change to approved and shipped out. Maybe honestly try a different congressional member. I used my district house representative, so i might do a new case with my Senator but not sure if this will mess things up.
Cmore34 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:13 pm

Looking for any advice. Here's my timeline.

May 17--booked plane tickets to Mexico for travel on June 20. I was just outside the four-week window, so followed the website's guidance and submitted for expedited service by express delivery.
May 19--Sent in expedited passport renewal application with two-day delivery
May 21--Application delivered by post office. This is 30 days from departure date.
May 27--Date status tracker marks as received. Check deposited.
June 7--Started checking website for appointments several times per day. Can't get one.
June 8--Contacted my senator's office for assistance
June 10--Senator's office said that they reached passport office and prioritized my application
June 10-15--Continued checking status every day. Still marked as "In Process." Checked many times per day for application appointments. Called 877-487-2778 many times but always got busy signal when trying to speak to agent
June 15--Finally reached agent after getting through IVR and waiting on hold for 2 hours and 18 minutes. Agent said she can't help get an appointment and has no idea of status other than "In Process" and can't move my application to the front of the line.
June 15--Sent followup e-mail and voicemail to senator's office and am awaiting reply.

Is there anything else I can do? I live near DC. Should I go to the office in person even though they say not to without an appointment?

Last edited by kcb203; Jun 15, 2021 at 12:19 pm
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by kcb203
Looking for any advice. Here's my timeline.

May 17--booked plane tickets to Mexico for travel on June 20. I was just outside the four-week window, so followed the website's guidance and submitted for expedited service by express delivery.
May 19--Sent in expedited passport renewal application with two-day delivery
May 21--Application delivered by post office. This is 30 days from departure date.
May 27--Date status tracker marks as received. Check deposited.
June 7--Started checking website for appointments several times per day. Can't get one.
June 8--Contacted my senator's office for assistance
June 10--Senator's office said that they reached passport office and prioritized my application
June 10-15--Continued checking status every day. Still marked as "In Process." Checked many times per day for application appointments. Called 877-487-2778 many times but always got busy signal when trying to speak to agent
June 15--Finally reached agent after getting through IVR and waiting on hold for 2 hours and 18 minutes. Agent said she can't help get an appointment and has no idea of status other than "In Process" and can't move my application to the front of the line.
June 15--Sent followup e-mail and voicemail to senator's office and am awaiting reply.

Is there anything else I can do? I live near DC. Should I go to the office in person even though they say not to without an appointment?

We are going through the same thing. Our flight leaves in 2 days.
May 17th applied for expedited passport with one day delivery.
I have contacted the Senator's Office, spoke with Passport Agency, emailed them with our flight information, and asked for an appointment in Seattle and nothing. I don't think we will have passports in time but you have a little bit more time left. GOOD LUCK
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:41 pm

Update: After reaching back out to my Congressman, they reached back out this morning and requested it be sent to the urgent team. It was approved at 6:45 tonight. I will have it by Friday, two days before my flight.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:36 am

Just noticed a change on the state.gov website. Until yesterday, it said to get an in-person appointment for travel within four weeks, and for travel more than four weeks away, to use expedited renewal. Now it says to use in-person appointments for travel within 10 weeks, and to use the expedited process for travel between 10 and 18 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.