Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 1:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The US has agreed to allow US citizens to fly back to the US from abroad on expired US passports that meet certain requirements.

Originally Posted by state.gov
U.S. citizens currently overseas whose passports expired on or after January 1, 2020, may be able to use their expired U.S. passport for direct return travel to the United States until December 31, 2021. Certain criteria apply, and we encourage U.S. citizens to confirm their eligibility for traveling on an expired passport at COVID-19 Traveler Information prior to finalizing travel arrangements.
If the passport was a full-duration passport -- 10 year validity for adult passports or 5 year validity for U16 passports -- that expired/expires in 2020 or 2021, this change in policy may be something to consider with regard to the pressure to apply for passports.

https://www.state.gov/return-travel-...u-s-passports/
Old May 27, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US has agreed to allow US citizens to fly back to the US from abroad on expired US passports that meet certain requirements.

If the passport was a full-duration passport -- 10 year validity for adult passports or 5 year validity for U16 passports -- that expired/expires in 2020 or 2021, this change in policy may be something to consider with regard to the pressure to apply for passports.

https://www.state.gov/return-travel-...u-s-passports/
Thank you for sharing.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:03 am

Travel on expired passport with dual nationality

I saw the latest news about being able to travel to the US on an expired passport. I am a UK/US passport holder and am due to fly to the UK next week. Just realized my US passport is expired as of two weeks ago. I should be able to fly out using my valid UK passport and then return to the US with the expired one given the new rules.
anyone think this won’t work? I know technically the US wants you to use the US when coming and going but I have used my British passport many times when leaving the US and never any issues. Thank you!
Old May 27, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kaiserc
I saw the latest news about being able to travel to the US on an expired passport. I am a UK/US passport holder and am due to fly to the UK next week. Just realized my US passport is expired as of two weeks ago. I should be able to fly out using my valid UK passport and then return to the US with the expired one given the new rules.
anyone think this won’t work? I know technically the US wants you to use the US when coming and going but I have used my British passport many times when leaving the US and never any issues. Thank you!
As you said, no issue for a US citizen to leave the US on a UK passport. I've done this many times myself. The only potential issue is coming back, because you must use your US passport. While CBP at your US arrival airport will certainly accept your expired passport under this guidance (and I think they'd let you in without the guidance as long as you can prove your US citizenship, assuming you made it that far), there is some risk the airline won't allow you to check in if they're not familiar with this or their systems won't permit it. I'd be more comfortable dealing with this at a big airport like LHR than a small out-station. But if the trip is important, there's not much else you can do beyond searching for last-minute passport agency appointments.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by kaiserc
has it become hard to get an emergency passport from the UK embassy to come home? when I was there in late august I was able to get one and used it a few times before replacing.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
As you said, no issue for a US citizen to leave the US on a UK passport. I've done this many times myself. The only potential issue is coming back, because you must use your US passport. While CBP at your US arrival airport will certainly accept your expired passport under this guidance (and I think they'd let you in without the guidance as long as you can prove your US citizenship, assuming you made it that far), there is some risk the airline won't allow you to check in if they're not familiar with this or their systems won't permit it. I'd be more comfortable dealing with this at a big airport like LHR than a small out-station. But if the trip is important, there's not much else you can do beyond searching for last-minute passport agency appointments.
thanks. I’m flying back via LHR on BA. Hopefully they are up to speed on the new guidance re expired passports.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Amil
has it become hard to get an emergency passport from the UK embassy to come home? when I was there in late august I was able to get one and used it a few times before replacing.
I’m not exactly sure. But now with this new guidance, they probably aren’t issues emergency passport renewals.
Old May 27, 2021, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Emergency passport renewals being issued outside of the US are still going to be done. But who will need them is going to be different for the rest of this year than it would have been without this change in US policy.

Originally Posted by Amil
This change eases up the pressure on US embassies/consulates from passport applicants who could otherwise apply in the US and wait it out in the US for passports being issued and delivered in the US; this change frees up staff at/for embassies/consulates to deal more easily with ACS and other issues instead. But what it mainly is to do is ease up a bit of the demand for new renewal passports for the remainder of this year.

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
When the airline rep uses the information into TIMATIC, they should sort of get it. But I suspect that this will go over initially more easily at airports that have CBP’s IAP in place — airports like LHR, AMS, CDG — or airports where there are US common carriers with direct flights to the US.

Technically, a US citizen leaving the US to the UK is supposed to be in possession of a valid US passport at the time of flying out of the US too, but enforcement under still applicable US law for that too has never been what it was initially intended to generally be on that.

Before, during and since 2020, I’ve been with US-European dual-citizen travel party members who have flown to the US on their US VWP countries’ passports because their US passports were expired. With relatively recently expired US passports in hand for presentation at US airports of entry, CBP has been accepting these kind of relatively recently expired US passports as proof of US identity and US citizenship at US airports of entry. Of the times I’ve been around myself for this in a private capacity, not even a single reference to secondary — literally just presented at the US airports of entry as a US citizens with the expired US passports and told things like “welcome/welcome back, now go get the passport renewed.” It’s likely to go much the same way on entry now with this new policy. The difference with this new policy is that the airlines serving the US will now be able to more readily allow non-dual-citizens to also more easily return to the US with an expired US passports and thereby ease up some of the pressure on passport application processing and on traffic at the embassies/consulates.

At the margins, this change should tend to provide some improvement for domestic passport applicants’ turn times, but I doubt it will be noticed a whole lot by most domestic applicants.
Old May 27, 2021, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Lets stay on topic. This is a heavily trafficked thread (approaching half a million views) on how to promptly obtain United States passports. Too many tangential posts are starting to appear in the thread. Please note the subject of traveling on other country's documentation is out-of-bounds here. Off-topic posts will be removed in the future. If posters want to discuss traveling on a UK or any other non-USA passport, please visit the corresponding destination country board here on Flyertalk. There are also some threads at the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues - FlyerTalk Forums board which cover U.S. passport problems.

Last edited by Moderator2; May 27, 2021 at 5:30 pm
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:37 pm

Hello,
So is it safe (and legal of course) for you to leave the US on a UK passport? I am UK/US citizen but I'm still waiting for my US passport to arrive. With long delays in processing times of US passports, I was wondering if I am able to leave the US with my UK passport. I will have my US passport in hand before returning to the US

Does anyone have experience with a similar situation?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by marilawfra
Hello,
So is it safe (and legal of course) for you to leave the US on a UK passport? I am UK/US citizen but I'm still waiting for my US passport to arrive. With long delays in processing times of US passports, I was wondering if I am able to leave the US with my UK passport. I will have my US passport in hand before returning to the US

Does anyone have experience with a similar situation?
The US currently does not have formal exit controls. Airlines require you to show that you are admissible at your destination. As long as you can enter your country of destination with your UK passport, you will be fine.

Please refer to the following thread in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum:
Xyzzy and marilawfra like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 6:13 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
UPDATE for Renewal of Minors' passports w/o expedited processing

Originally Posted by Section 107
Another touchpoint: renewing for 2 children under 16.

Since the kids are under 16 renewal must be in-person with both parents. Our appt was at the local post office. Took about 30 minutes to process, including taking two photos. In addition to the standard passbook & card fees with regular delivery service (not expedited), we were charged USPS processing fee for both, fees for two photographs, fees for photocopies of 7 pages of forms and documents (I think that should have come out of the USPS processing fee!) and, since paying electronically by credit/debit card - two fees to convert the electronic payment to two money orders. Will provide processing details as available:

3/15 Renewal Applications submitted
3/30 Status on Passport Application Status Page: Application Not Found (both applications).
Web page says if online status is "not found" after 2 weeks to call the center. Called around 3:50pm; 42 minutes on hold before speaking to service agent. Agent also did not find either application. Agent stated applications for minors are processed in Philadelphia after going through a postal security screening center which is very backed up; said check in another week and call back if still "not found."
4/15 Status on Passport Application Status Page: Application Not Found (both applications).
4/20 Received email notification applications received. Status webpage states: "The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book and card on 04/20/2021. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents. You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing in 10-12 weeks. Your application locator number is xxx"
6/3 1711 hrs - Received email notification for both applications: "Application status: approved. You should receive your book and card around June 9."
6/3 1901 hrs - Received email notification for both applications: "DoS has shipped your book and card using Priority Mail. Click confirmation number xxxxx to track. You should receive passport around June 9."

Tracking number indicates passports/books being sent from Little Rock, Arkansas distribution center and should arrive on June 7. If they arrive as scheduled it will have taken 12 weeks from submission of application to delivery.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
NPR: To Americans Planning To Travel Abroad: Update Those Passports Before It's Too Late
Old Jun 3, 2021, 8:17 pm

Passport approved but not shipped

Hello everyone,

my expedited passports for my two sons were approved Wednesday June 2nd but still don’t have a tracking number. I need to fly out on Thursday and we’re getting very nervous. I see most people got their tracking a few hours after being approved. Should I be concerned?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:22 am

So I submitted a renewal by mail for a family member on 4/23/21, and my check hasn't been cashed on 6/4/21. Is anyone else seeing long delays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.