Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Passport appointment

Was able to snag an appointment at a passport agency for a renewal last night in Chicago.

what’s the experience like at these agency’s currently? The email confirmation said delivery of passport would be discussed at the appointment; what does that mean?

last time I utilized a passport agency, i picked it up same day. Unsure if that’s possible in the current climate.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
Was able to snag an appointment at a passport agency for a renewal last night in Chicago.

what’s the experience like at these agency’s currently? The email confirmation said delivery of passport would be discussed at the appointment; what does that mean?

last time I utilized a passport agency, i picked it up same day. Unsure if that’s possible in the current climate.
they said they will next day to me and that same day wasn't possible when I went to San Diego in December it came the next day as promised. also they demanded a reason why I needed to expedite and checked my upcoming flight itinerary
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ

Haven't dealt with that office during the pandemic, but previously they would most often tell me to come back the next day to pick up my passports even when I was one of the first people to get in my applications into the morning. It would have been different if I was facing same-day flights those times.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Haven't dealt with that office during the pandemic, but previously they would most often tell me to come back the next day to pick up my passports even when I was one of the first people to get in my applications into the morning. It would have been different if I was facing same-day flights those times.
Thanks for the follow up. Appreciate the DPs.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I always suggest getting at least two certified copies of the birth certificate for keeping when possible, for moments such as this too. Just something to keep in mind for the future. [I have at least three raised-seal certified copies of my state birth certificate.]
For these reasons I requested 10 copies of both my sons' birth certificates from Mexico. Man, it caused quite the stir - I think no-one had ever asked for more than 2 in the last 10 years!

On the other hand, Mexico is so advanced not only do they require hole-punching of voter registration cards and inking fingers in addition to photo id (which are compared to poll books held by the registrars and party poll watchers), they also let people print out vital statistics documents (birth, marriage, divorce, etc.) from atm-like kiosks in shopping malls. I havent seen how they driver's licenses, though.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
10 official copies for each child sounds like overkill to me, but I can't speak to your circumstances.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
10 official copies for each child sounds like overkill to me, but I can't speak to your circumstances.
Yes, but these things get submitted several times over the years and its just better to have original certified copies then trying to go back and get them when someone demands to see the "long-form" cert.... no, I dont really wish that torture upon them but you never know.... At one time I pondered my sons being the first Mexican-born POTUS at the same time the other was the first US-born President of Mexico. But got disabused of that when I learned Mexico's laws are different; it does not allow all natural-born citizens to be eligible for elective office, only those born actually on Mexican soil (and extremely limited other locations). Eh, YMMV.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by Section 107; Apr 28, 2021 at 4:13 pm
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I discovered that getting certified copies etc cost not just more money than getting extra originals, not to mention the time involved and the pain of getting them remotely, I too started ordering them up in multiples, not quite 10, but not too far from it.
crescatfloreat likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:08 am

Maybe a good rule of thumb is two copies for each citizenship one holds, with a couple more if you have only one. Original copies are required (and not always given back) for transcription of the birth certificate into the other country's vital records registers, issuance of a (first) passport and identity card, etc. And as countries improve "security", sometimes they require them again even for passport renewals.

Last edited by crescatfloreat; Apr 27, 2021 at 7:28 am
Old Apr 28, 2021, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by crescatfloreat
Yet another minor passport application from me. This time I'd like speed so I requested all the possible improvements, speed-ups initially. We shall see how it fares.

April 17th.
Deposited expedited US passport application at USPS for a child with priority express mailing back and forth. The child doesn't have its federal name, i.e. SS identifier, so an additional paper attesting to this was also added. It was sent to Philadelphia.

I should add that it was not as straightforward as I thought to schedule a passport application appointment at a local post office for the next day. The local ones I checked were booked until Thursday next week at the earliest and I eventually, luckily found a slot in the suburbs not too far away. Unexpected obstacles all along the way!

I shall provide updates.
April 17th - deposited expedited US passport application at USPS for a child with priority express mailing.
April 21st - application delivered in Philadelphia (one day late).
April 23rd - application appears as "in process" online. "
The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/22/2021, etc."
April 28th - "in process" email received.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I keep procrastinating about renewing my expired passport. One reason I want it is so that I can fly without REAL ID or so that I have the passport while awaiting REAL ID process. So I’m both very happy and torn about the REAL ID extension because I still should renew passport and I feel relief for not needing to expedite. I love this thread!!

Old Apr 28, 2021, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Iamwesanderson
Wife sent in old passport and required information on 3/14 to have name changed. Check was cashed days later. We paid to have expedited, so should be 4-6 weeks.

3/17 - Shows in process and has been in process ever since with no other contact. Found out it’s at their Virginia office, but they have no contact to give us.

We’re passed 5 weeks now and I’m starting to worry since I’m seeing others have gotten theirs in less time. We leave on our trip 5/23, but I have to fill out a form with the country’s government website a week before we leave and I need the passport info. Anyone else waiting this long on expedited passport?
Update:
Application still shows in process with no communication about anything wrong or needed. Already called the state senators office to see if that helps. Passport customer service is useless and say there’s no way to contact the location the application is being processed, which I call BS on. You’re telling me your offices have no way to be contacted... We paid for expedited everything and it’s been in process for over 6 weeks now. They’re real quick to cash our check though! 3 days and the check was cashed.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
+1

I'm in the same boat as FallenPlat re TTP not accepting a new passport. I'm thinking the back end system only updates once or twice per month (unbelievable, right?) and am simply trying once per day to make my passport update on the TTP website. I'll report back as to the number of days it takes from the date a passport is issued to the date that TTP website will accept that new passport number.
I kept forgetting to try the TTP update. Was able to update my passport number without trouble today. My passport was approved on April 19 and we received it on April 21.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:19 am

Wink

Originally Posted by gaobest
I keep procrastinating about renewing my expired passport. One reason I want it is so that I can fly without REAL ID or so that I have the passport while awaiting REAL ID process. So I’m both very happy and torn about the REAL ID extension because I still should renew passport and I feel relief for not needing to expedite. I love this thread!!
Why not just get the Passport Card and be rid of the states' nonsense with regards to their "real" and "unreal" IDs?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
Not sure if you are using sane logic. We got our UNREAL ID converted to a REAL one effortlessly. We took an appointment at the DMV, took our required documents which they scanned and gave them back to us, we paid the $13 needed fees for a duplicate license and we got our REAL star Driver's license in 2 weeks. This was in Julyish 2019 so pre-Covid. Since they keep extending, now, it seems, we wasted $13 x 2 as we could have done it at next renewal but my renewal is in 2022.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.