Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
What I know on this is as fllows:
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
American and JetBlue have blanket six-month requirements on their websites. You may be denied boarding if an agent relies on their internal rules rather than TIMATIC.
Interesting; thanks for that... Delta doesn't say anything about passport validity in their CoC but I'll probably renew it ahead of time anyway. This time next year I'll (hopefully) be on a cruise to Alaska that departs from Canada, so I'll need it then anyway.
Old May 21, 2021, 4:22 pm

New passport, standard handling:

03/19/2021 - Applied at USPS
04/20/2021 - In process / check deposited
05/21/2021 - Approved
05/21/2021 - Received USPS Priortiy Mail tracking #
05/26/2021 - Received Passport book
05/28/2021 - Received Passport card

Last edited by traveler3468; May 28, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Old May 24, 2021, 11:56 pm

Please Help!

So I submitted my application, routine process back in mid-March, updated to In Progress on April 1 online. Flight's schedule to leave June 11. I have just spent 3 hours refreshing the screen to make an appointment at a passport agency about every 30 seconds and finally have an appointment for Monday, June 7. This is more than 3 business days before my departure. If I schedule a cheap flight for say June 9 and then cancel it after I have the passport in hand, can I get my money back? Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could book the cheapest, cancellable flight? Any suggestions are appreciated!!
Old May 25, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by travellerinthemaking
So I submitted my application, routine process back in mid-March, updated to In Progress on April 1 online. Flight's schedule to leave June 11. I have just spent 3 hours refreshing the screen to make an appointment at a passport agency about every 30 seconds and finally have an appointment for Monday, June 7. This is more than 3 business days before my departure. If I schedule a cheap flight for say June 9 and then cancel it after I have the passport in hand, can I get my money back? Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could book the cheapest, cancellable flight? Any suggestions are appreciated!!
Have you called to try to change your application to "expedited" status r called one of your Federal elected officials? That's where I'd go next, not another application.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Have you called to try to change your application to "expedited" status
That's something I tried to do. But what they told me is that they may or may not choose to expedite after it's "in progress" and if my credit card isn't charged then they chose not to. No word on when they expedite and when they don't. My credit card hasn't been charged so now I can still stay stressed for the next 4 weeks...
Old May 25, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
My wife's first US passport, routine handling:

03/31/2021 - Applied at USPS
04/03/2021 - Delivered to Philadelphia processing center (according to USPS employee who looked up tracking # for me)

05/05/2021 - "In process" status and check deposited
05/25/2021 - Shipped with USPS Priority Mail tracking # (no estimated delivery date yet but shipped from Little Rock, AR)
Old May 25, 2021, 6:59 pm

Kid's passports renewal in-process. Old passports are still valid. Requested new books only. Planned international travel on the end of May.

4/14/21: Mailed application from San Mateo, CA to Irving, TX via first class mail
4/16/21: Application received in Irving, TX with tracking number on the envelope
5/10/21: Called to contact center, got an advice to wait for couple more days until 4 weeks processing period gone.

5/12/21: Application Status showed up as "In Process" on website with a locator number and 10-12 week estimate
5/12/21: Cashed check appeared on my bank account
5/12/21: Called to contact center and requested expedited service including express delivery with my CC and explained travel plans. At the same time, I was told the decision about expedited service will be made within 20 business days.
5/25/21: My CC was charged with fees for expedited processing. So, there is still a hope to get them in 3 days however I'm looking for travel rescheduling options....

Last edited by CaliCat; May 25, 2021 at 10:29 pm
Old May 25, 2021, 10:08 pm

A New Question

So I have gotten in touch with a senator and they sounded very promising. What kind of results did you guys experience with this? Like how long did it take from reaching out to senator to passport in hand? Did you receive updates from the senator's staff on the proceeding with the process, or were the only updates via the passport status updates online through the passport agencies? Still slightly in panic mode that it will not be processed in time.

Another question (I know I have a lot! Completely new to this whole passport thing.): If we were to obtain an appointment at a passport agency, would the original application completed back in March be shipped to the appointment location? Or would we use the new documents we bring to get a same day passport and the original application is essentially voided?

I am hoping to draw on you guys' experience. Thanks a ton!!
Old May 26, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
After reading through this thread I made the decision to renew my passport in person. I let it expire in 2020 and didn't bother to attempt to renew until a few months ago. About 7 weeks ago I gathered everything and wanted to renew but was put off by the times I was seeing on this thread.

In order to do anything in person you need an appointment. The appointments can be made online or on the phone. The phone agents are useless, worse than calling tech support or a foreign airline (there's at least a language barrier there that explains it, not so with these guys...)

The website says you can schedule up to ten days before your international travel plans, but the site only shows you 9 days out 99% of the time. You'll get false positive space everywhere. I tried to schedule in Atlanta for several days, checking at midnight, 2am, 4am, 6am, 8am, throughout the day. No changes. Never any open spots. A few other cities would say there were appointments but when you click through to the next page, you wouldn't get any times available. Basically, space opens up 10 days out, but the site only shows 9 days out, so it'll say there's space because there is on day 10, but it can't figure out how to show you day 10. I was finally able to snag a day 10 spot in New Orleans and when I called the agent, he was surprised because he couldn't see any day 10 spots anywhere.

The cost to the State Department is the same in person as it is via mail, the expedited rate. I had an 8:30am appointment, there were three windows open, but 6 actual windows. 4 people ahead of me. No one behind me. They checked my paperwork, collected the money, and I was out in under 15 minutes. There was no one behind me when I left. So clearly there's additional capacity they just aren't doing it.

I was able to pick up my new passport 3 hours later. When I arrived, shortly before noon, they weren't processing new people, just distributing that days passports. Only one window was open this time. Again, they have the capacity to do more they just aren't.

Why it would take months to get a renewal via mail is beyond me if I can go in person and get in same day...
rollthere likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by DanCali
We're in a similar timeline with kids passports.

4/16/21: Mailed applications from Palm Beach Gardens, FL via regular mail.
5/17/21: Application Status shows up as "In Process" on website with a locator number and 10-12 week estimate
5/17/21: Cashed checks appear on my bank account

I wasn't comfortable with the 10-12 week timeline after the 4 lost weeks it took for it to show "In Process" so I called yesterday afternoon (5/18) to expedite applications. I got someone after a 3 hour hold and he took my credit card number and said that "if expediting is approved" they will charge my card and expedite.

Update

5/18/21: Called to expedite applications. Was told expediting not guaranteed.
5/26/21: Received alert from Amex that my card was charged $77.56 for each of the two applications (expediting fee + expedited mailing). Status online still shows "routine service".

Edited 5/27: Status changed to "Expedited" overnight. Now it says 4-6 weeks.

Updated June 7:

6/4/21: Received alert with "Approved" and after a couple of hours "Shipped" with UPS overnight tracking number.
6/7/21: Received!

Last edited by DanCali; Jun 7, 2021 at 1:04 pm Reason: Updates
Old May 26, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Why it would take months to get a renewal via mail is beyond me if I can go in person and get in same day...
1. Price
2. Volume
Old May 26, 2021, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
The website says you can schedule up to ten days before your international travel plans, but the site only shows you 9 days out 99% of the time. You'll get false positive space everywhere. I tried to schedule in Atlanta for several days, checking at midnight, 2am, 4am, 6am, 8am, throughout the day. No changes. Never any open spots. A few other cities would say there were appointments but when you click through to the next page, you wouldn't get any times available. Basically, space opens up 10 days out, but the site only shows 9 days out, so it'll say there's space because there is on day 10, but it can't figure out how to show you day 10. I was finally able to snag a day 10 spot in New Orleans and when I called the agent, he was surprised because he couldn't see any day 10 spots anywhere.

How long did you end up spending on getting this appointment? did you figure out when they post new slots?
Old May 26, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by DanCali
How long did you end up spending on getting this appointment? did you figure out when they post new slots?
I spent the better part of four days trying to get an appointment. I'm in Atlanta and my office never showed availability, not even ghost availability. The best I can tell you is to search everywhere. I almost booked one in CT and MSP. MSY was closer and cheaper for me to get to. Even after I got my slot I continued to check ATL for a spot and one never materialized. My best guess is that it randomly shows that 10th day out and those get booked ASAP by people.

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
1. Price
2. Volume
It's the same price for an in person appointment as it is for expedited via mail. It's still ridiculous how long it takes. Why is it a manual process? All they're doing is adding a new picture to my passport. Why is that so expensive?
Old May 26, 2021, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by aeolos
Another data point on regular service being serviced in Philadelphia. Took almost a month to start processing.

3/02/21: Mailed application by Priority mail
3/12/21: Application received in Philadelphia, PA (a week late, thanks USPS)
4/09/21: Status updated to "In Process" and check cashed

The rest is TBD. No INTL travel planned but hoping to get it back before a June Global Entry interview so I dont lose the appointment.
3/02/21: Mailed application by Priority mail
3/12/21: Application received in Philadelphia, PA (a week late, thanks USPS)
4/09/21: Status updated to "In Process" and check cashed
5/24/21: Status updated to Approved and Shipped
5/26/21: Received!

Regular processing it took just over 10 weeks in the hands of the passport office to get to approved status. Glad to be reunited with my passport!
Old May 26, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
4/19: Applied in person for my first US passport (recently naturalized)
5/19: Application Status changed to: "In Process"

I have no international travel planned, so I applied for standard processing. But I have to say I find 14-17 weeks (10-12 weeks plus 4-5 weeks of "transit" time from the acceptance facility plus mailing time once issued) is excessive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.