Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen Traveling from/to the US, which Passport to show/use, where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nayef
Copied from Xyzzy's post:

I think this sums up what to do pretty well:
  • Airline checkin in the US for departure to EU
    • Right now you can show either EU or US (but airline execs I know and have discussed this with suggest giving the airline your US passport).
    • In the future, when ETIAS comes into force, show the EU passport to the airline because the EU will require that data to be sent ahead of the flight.
    • re: the above two comments, it currently doesn't matter which you use from a US perspective. If you are a US citizen, departing the US on an EU passport you've not entered the US with is not going to cause any problems.
  • Immigration on arrival in the EU
    • Show the EU passport because you are a citizen and many/most countries require citizens to show their passports to enter.
  • Airline checkin in the EU for departure to the US
    • Show your US passport to the airline as the US requires you to enter on your US passport and APIS data sent ahead of the flight needs to contain your US data.
  • Immigration departing the EU
    • Show the EU passport that you entered the EU with. The fact that you gave a different passport to the airline will not cause any problem.
  • At the gate for a flight departing to the US: You may be asked to verify your travel documents at the gate before departure and so only show your US passport in this case.
  • Immigration arriving the US
    • Show the US passport you showed to the airline.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2007, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Hello there, First time posting here... We are flying to Brazil and Americans are required to have a VISA to visit that country.

I have both passports ( Brazil and USA ) . When I get there I will use my Brazilian passport, but when I return to the USA will I have a problem since NO TRAVELING would have been recorded on my American Passport ?

I mean that the Immigration Officer here will look at me passport and asked me: " Where did you go ?" Could that be a problem or is it just normal thing for people with dual citizenship ?

Tks to all that reply !
Old Jul 8, 2007, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
I have dual citizenship with a UK and US Passports. Always use my UK passport for the rest of the world after I leave the US and only use my US passport when I return to the USA. Never had a problem with US Immigration on this at all. After all dual citizenship in the USA is not illegal.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
...... After all dual citizenship in the USA is not illegal.
The US does not recognise a citizen's dual nationality, but there's nothing to stop you having one. If you hold a US passport, you should enter and leavethe US on it, but you can enter other countries under whichever passport you want.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html
Old Jul 8, 2007, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a dual citizen I have to always enter/exit from my "home country" on my "home country" passport. So I enter/exit the US on my US passport and enter/exit the UK on my UK/EU passport. Each country that you have a passport with generally require that you enter/exit the country on their passport.

As far as the immigration officer not seeing stamps I have never had a problem with that.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 7:08 pm

There is currently a not dissimilar thread on this topic which the OP may find of interest

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8023578
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:12 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I do this all the time and have never had a problem entering the US... So don't worry!
Old Jul 9, 2007, 9:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, timani95!

And thanks to everyone who has weighed in on this subject thus far.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:02 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by planemechanic
As a dual citizen I have to always enter/exit from my "home country" on my "home country" passport. So I enter/exit the US on my US passport and enter/exit the UK on my UK/EU passport. Each country that you have a passport with generally require that you enter/exit the country on their passport.

As far as the immigration officer not seeing stamps I have never had a problem with that.
This is okay if you can enter the destination country with a US passport w/o a visa.

If you exit the US with a US passport (what does that mean?) then the airline might not let you on the aircraft to Brazil w/o a visa. If you exit with a Brazilian passport, then, well, I dunno...
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
You can pick and choose who you show the different passports to. The short answer is no, you will not have a problem getting back into the US just because there are no stamps in your US passport. First, they often won't even look. Second, immigration officials all over the world are not always very religious about stamping passports.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
This is okay if you can enter the destination country with a US passport w/o a visa.

If you exit the US with a US passport (what does that mean?) then the airline might not let you on the aircraft to Brazil w/o a visa. If you exit with a Brazilian passport, then, well, I dunno...
Not necessarily. I traveled once with a dual citizen leaving JFK for Brazil who showed his US passport to the airline clerk, who noted there was no Brazilian visa. He then showed his European passport, which requires no visa for Brazil, and proceeded to Rio.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 9:21 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Track
Not necessarily. I traveled once with a dual citizen leaving JFK for Brazil who showed his US passport to the airline clerk, who noted there was no Brazilian visa. He then showed his European passport, which requires no visa for Brazil, and proceeded to Rio.
Didn't he then "exit the US" with a non-US passport? The only exit control for the US is the airline (I-94s).
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What you show to the airline and what you show to immigration officials does not have to be the same thing. As long as I leave the US using my US passport I can arrive in the UK using my UK passport. I am obeying the laws of both countries at the time I present each passport.

If you exit the US with a US passport (what does that mean?)
That means that I check in with the airline with my US passport, and then use which ever passport I want at the other end. If my destination is the UK then I am required by UK law to use my UK passport.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:47 am

Had this at LHR once with a joint Brazilian/UK citizen. Brazil does not allow dual nationality so she enterred on her Uk passport but had the immigration officer stamp the Brazilian one so that there would be no questions on re-entering Brazil.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by planemechanic
That means that I check in with the airline with my US passport, and then use which ever passport I want at the other end. If my destination is the UK then I am required by UK law to use my UK passport.
Actually, that is only workable if you are going to a country which does not require a visa.

I have US and Israeli passports. I have to enter and leave Israel on my Israeli passport.

I have to enter the US on my American passport.

The US does not require a passport in order to leave it however airlines do require you to show it so they won't get stuck in flying you back if refused entry. Israel does not require a visa from Americans so it is does not matter which passport I show. If Israel did require a visa, as an Israeli citizen, I would not be eligible for one so I would have to show my Israeli passport to the airline.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:18 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Track
See and raise: They will accepd a "valid" visa in an expired/canceled passport!

My parents went there with their new Passports (NOT-ePassports). They also brought their old, canceled passports which had visas in them from a few years ago. The visas in the old passports hadn't expired-- the visas were still open. The old passports had the punch holes and the cancel stamp on them.

They compared the passports and visas and faces rigourously for apporximately 20 seconds and, then, "Welcome to Brasil."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.