Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes @:-)

Prior thread can be found here:
US Automatic Upgrades (Elite)
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mrwise
If you're the only elite, my understanding is that 3 people on the res will exclude you from the sweep. Only way out is for you to split the res if upgrades are important.
That's exactly right.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
No upgrades here... the rate is 1 companion for each elite on the PNR, although historically anything above 2 people on the PNR is difficult to get upgraded.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
No upgrades here... the rate is 1 companion for each elite on the PNR, although historically anything above 2 people on the PNR is difficult to get upgraded.
This isn't true, there is a FT member who has gotten Himself (elite) girlfriend/wife and son (own seat) all upgraded. I guess it fall under YMMV
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
During the inclement weather last week, I MoveUp'd to an earlier flight CLT-CAK. The original flight was a CRJ200, the new one was an ERJ170 or CRJ700. My flight was WX delayed, but I lucked out and the earlier flight was over 3 hours MX delay, so I was able to make it right around final call.

Check in agent booked me into seat 4A (which is a pretty good seat), but the flight went out with 2 empty F class seats.

I'm US plat by the way.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Joshua
During the inclement weather last week, I MoveUp'd to an earlier flight CLT-CAK. The original flight was a CRJ200, the new one was an ERJ170 or CRJ700. My flight was WX delayed, but I lucked out and the earlier flight was over 3 hours MX delay, so I was able to make it right around final call.

Check in agent booked me into seat 4A (which is a pretty good seat), but the flight went out with 2 empty F class seats.

I'm US plat by the way.
Sounds like weather misconnects or people didn't want to wait around.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Sounds like weather misconnects or people didn't want to wait around.
I've actually seen CAK-CLT and return not full on more than one occasion, and I'm pretty sure I've sat next to op ups as well.

CAK just isn't a Preferred heavy market.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
The inhumanity of it all – no upgrade PHL-BOS

I've never missed BOS-PHL-BOS on any day at anytime. It looks like this Saturday I'll miss on PHL-BOS.

I guess a weekend between two school vacation weeks is the reason. I guess I'll have to live with a 45 minute flight in Y. Oh, the inhumanity....
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Everything is completely screwy in and out of BOS this weekend -- one of the few times I've seen Saturday midday flights be more expensive than Friday evening! I'm flying into PVD, which I almost never do.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:10 pm

Randomly at around noon today, I received my First Class upgrade status e-mail. Today is T-8 and of course I get a thumbs down and it mentions "Too early for upgrade." That seems like a pretty obvious statement since we are not even at T-7, so why did the e-mail even come out?

It's the first time I've ever gotten one prior to my clearing window (which is hopefully tomorrow AM).
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by BigErn
Randomly at around noon today, I received my First Class upgrade status e-mail. Today is T-8 and of course I get a thumbs down and it mentions "Too early for upgrade." That seems like a pretty obvious statement since we are not even at T-7, so why did the e-mail even come out?

It's the first time I've ever gotten one prior to my clearing window (which is hopefully tomorrow AM).
Happens to me all the time when the flight is in the late afternoon/evening. Twice this year so far - both cleared at T-5. The early afternoon flights didn't get the too early mail (and both cleared at T-7)
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:12 am

Flight isn't an afternoon flight, so I'm still perplexed. Fortunately, today (T-7) I'm now in 1C.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:12 am

Wow, the trick of checking in again to see if a F seat finally worked for me! On PHX-DCA tomorrow too, an upgrade I have never come close to getting. I was so excited to grab that F seat, thank you FT members for alerting me to that!!!!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by lizs
Wow, the trick of checking in again to see if a F seat finally worked for me! On PHX-DCA tomorrow too, an upgrade I have never come close to getting. I was so excited to grab that F seat, thank you FT members for alerting me to that!!!!
^ Where were you on the UG list before you got the seat?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by AlphaTango
^ Where were you on the UG list before you got the seat?
I was 2nd when I checked in but that was more than 24 hours in advance since I have a connecting flight. As GP I don't think there's any chance I would've gotten the upgrade. Today's PHX-DCA had 19 on the upgrade list and I'm sure tomorrow's will end up being similar.

I'm row 1 so will really have to dash after my SNA-PHX flight to get some bin space but that is a sacrifice I am more than willing to make. Plus as a petite woman the male business travelers are usually happy to pass my bag up for me
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BigErn

Bet the flight was a Y or B fare; that's usually when I see the early upgrade notices.

When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) Coach ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare Coach tickets over all other fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.