FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1538399-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread-2014-a.html)

phlwookie Dec 29, 2013 11:48 am

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Originally Posted by GoingMyWay (Post 22045548)
I got the upgrade email this morning. I've been upgraded to FC as only SP on both legs of my flight (SFO-CLT-DCA) on Tuesday morning leaving at 7:25am. I'm really surprised I managed to get upgraded on the SFO-CLT leg. I thought my chances were a lot better on 12/26 DCA-PHX, but I wasn't upgraded then. I'm excited to finally get a meal in FC. All of my other upgrades have been on flights under 3.5 hours or red eye flights.

I have to admit to being surprised how busy PHL and PHX have been so far today; I wouldn't have thought my early PHL-PHX (US 623) would have been sold out several days ago. Still got upgraded 7 out though ...

Loads look much lighter tonight (F still available on both PHX-CLT red eyes) and tomorrow.

mbece Jan 3, 2014 9:42 am

I'll be flying again next week with a couple of trips planned: MEX-CLT-BOS and PVD-CLT-AUS. Yesterday, I got the upgrades for both :)

This for sure makes flying a little less miserable.

finster869 Jan 5, 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by beofotch (Post 21907261)
At <24 hours, if a seat has opened you can process it yourself by checking in again Regardless of your position on the upgrade list.

For today's IAH - CLT I wa third on the upgrade list. A seat opened up so I checked in again and selected a first class seat. One and two got skipped. You don't even have to call the call center.

Question: If you had attempted to re-check in in an effort to grab the newly opened first class seat, but someone beat you to it, would you have lost your #3 place in line? The reason I ask is that I am presently #1 out of 10 on the upgrade list for a 6 a.m. flight tomorrow, and EF is showing Seat 1A blocked still. So, if 1A becomes unblocked, I am on the fence about whether I should make a dash to grab it. My concern is that if I don't get it would another chairman presently lower on the upgrade list sudden move up to my number 1 spot as a result of the "re-check in" now being at a later time?

gruss Jan 6, 2014 6:34 am

Originally Posted by finster869 (Post 22090272)
Question: If you had attempted to re-check in in an effort to grab the newly opened first class seat, but someone beat you to it, would you have lost your #3 place in line? The reason I ask is that I am presently #1 out of 10 on the upgrade list for a 6 a.m. flight tomorrow, and EF is showing Seat 1A blocked still. So, if 1A becomes unblocked, I am on the fence about whether I should make a dash to grab it. My concern is that if I don't get it would another chairman presently lower on the upgrade list sudden move up to my number 1 spot as a result of the "re-check in" now being at a later time?

In my experience, your position on the list is based on your initial check-in time. I've gone this route multiple times and have never found myself moved down the list by re-checking for seats.

AlphaTango Jan 6, 2014 7:08 am

Originally Posted by gruss (Post 22094216)
In my experience, your position on the list is based on your initial check-in time. I've gone this route multiple times and have never found myself moved down the list by re-checking for seats.

Agree - I've done this since the new mobile upgrade list and haven't moved position.

This is just a guess, but I'd bet it's not actually check-in time that's used under the hood - I think it's more likely to be the sequence (SEQ on your BP).

coastalguy Jan 6, 2014 9:58 pm

(DATA POINT) I was upgraded on my upcoming flights PDX-PHX-DCA at T-7; lots of seats still open PDX-PHX, but I snagged the last open seat on the ever popular PHX-DCA Monday morning flight which means I'm sitting in row 1. But, I'll take row 1 over row 5 or higher any day! ;)

beofotch Jan 15, 2014 8:16 pm

It looks like they may have fixed the IT glitch which enabled anyone with us status to check in again to snag a first class seat if one became available within 24 hours... I used to do this frequently and as recently as last week.

Right now my flight tomorrow shows a first class seat available. When I check in again instead of offering it to me it only gives me coach seat choices. I am thinking this loophole is closed. Any other experiences?

heyeaglefn Jan 15, 2014 8:44 pm

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

It worked for me last Thursday.

beofotch Jan 16, 2014 5:26 am

I checked again this morning and the open seat went a way. I only tried rechecking in using the mobile app and mobile website, maybe I should have tried on the computer web interface.

That or someone bought the first class seat

jhalapin Jan 16, 2014 5:31 am

Upgraded on all legs of my MR next week..

BWI-CLT-LAS-PHX-ANC all legs (outbound) upgraded.

Waiting on my upgrade notification for the return ANC-PHX-LAX-CLT-BWI.

GoingMyWay Jan 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Upgraded this Saturday DCA-FLL. As of right now it looks like I'm the only one in FC, which is kinda surprising to me.

Flyer78 Jan 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by beofotch (Post 22165098)
I checked again this morning and the open seat went a way. I only tried rechecking in using the mobile app and mobile website, maybe I should have tried on the computer web interface.

Was it the mobile status that indicated one available on the upgrade list, or was it still listed for purchase on the site?

beofotch Jan 16, 2014 4:06 pm

Mobile status showed one. In my experience, every time it had rechecking in snagged me the seat. Last night first time it didn't work.

Originally Posted by Flyer78 (Post 22168694)

Originally Posted by beofotch (Post 22165098)

Was it the mobile status that indicated one available on the upgrade list, or was it still listed for purchase on the site?

phlwookie Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm

The process worked for me today. Last night I had to book onto a flight with first already full. Checked in T-24 and put myself on the upgrade list where I was #1 and stayed at the top of the list (I'm a high miles chairman and the fare was Not Cheap). Checked the mobile site a few hours before the flight and saw 2 F seats opened up. I logged into the full site via my laptop and reran OLCI, chose "Just change my seats" and chose a seat in F.

If it's not working for you maybe they only allow #1 on the upgrade list to do it? In my case today I don't know who got the other F seat that opened, perhaps only #2 on the list could've done it if they've closed this loophole.

akelkar Jan 16, 2014 8:05 pm

For my SFO-CLT-PHL flights, I didn't receive any emails checking for upgrades. Is this normal or did the system just realize there were no empty F seats and not check at all?