Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes @:-)

Prior thread can be found here:
US Automatic Upgrades (Elite)
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: DM member since 1996, DM Gold, Marriott Gold
One reservation with gold, silver and no status. What window would I upgrade if any?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: DM member since 1996, DM Gold, Marriott Gold
Dupe post

Last edited by Bighead1970; Mar 11, 2014 at 6:25 am Reason: Dupe
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Bighead1970
One reservation with gold, silver and no status. What window would I upgrade if any?
Gold ... T-3
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:56 am

hey guys, I'm newly minted gold and had a quick question/clarification about the day of T-24hr re-check in process.

If I'm say, #4 on the upgrade list, and a first class seat opens up a few hours before boarding--if I re-check in online, would i in fact be able to grab that seat, thereby jumping the 3 other passengers ahead of me? Is that right, or am i misunderstanding...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
hey guys, I'm newly minted gold and had a quick question/clarification about the day of T-24hr re-check in process.

If I'm say, #4 on the upgrade list, and a first class seat opens up a few hours before boarding--if I re-check in online, would i in fact be able to grab that seat, thereby jumping the 3 other passengers ahead of me? Is that right, or am i misunderstanding...
This should work, yes. Note that it appears you normally need to use the full site for online checkin - not necessarily the mobile version - to do this. Click "Change Seats" to effect the change, then select the seat in first that opened up.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So....how about one Gold, one Silver, and two "scrubs"? All on one PNR,

All upgrade at T-3 (theoretically speaking)?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So....how about one Gold, one Silver, and two "scrubs"? All on one PNR,

All upgrade at T-3 (theoretically speaking)?
Yes, theoretically. But you would need 4 FC seats to be available for upgrade and you would need all CP, PP, and higher GP to be satisfied first. A definite long shot!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Yes, theoretically. But you would need 4 FC seats to be available for upgrade and you would need all CP, PP, and higher GP to be satisfied first. A definite long shot!
Its an A330 on Spring Break.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Its an A330 on Spring Break.
Most likely not going to happen, considering the time of year. How many seats are open in F right now? That will be telling...
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by coastalguy
Most likely not going to happen, considering the time of year. How many seats are open in F right now? That will be telling...
22. Only 7 preferred seats booked.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
22. Only 7 preferred seats booked.
Well, I might have to eat my words from earlier...your numbers are looking good. (22 of 28 Envoy seats still open along with only 7 preferred seats booked seems promising)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:09 am

Can't he split the reservation to hopefully get at least 2 upgrades? if mom and dad want F and kids to sit in the back not the worst idea! A CP relative does this often with 3 people since only one companion can get upgraded.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
CP Upgraded on AA Ticket/Codeshare on US Airways metal

Basic info: Flight 430 PHX-MCI leaving 3/14/14. Booked in February on AA website did not enter my AAdvantage number during booking. As soon as I received my confirmation email with my US Airways locator number (Ticket# was AA 001). I logged into US Airways with my FF#, found my reservation, and associated my reservation with my US Airways FF#. Got the standard T-7 email saying flight was not eligible for upgrade. Lo' and behold at OLCI I was asked if I wanted to upgrade for $0? Went from 5C to 3D. Very pleased and excited since I saved about $80 booking on AA. Maybe they are getting this fixed! Also note the fare class was: V

Last edited by shawn67; Mar 13, 2014 at 1:58 pm
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by shawn67
Basic info: Flight 430 PHX-MCI leaving 3/14/14. Booked in February on AA website did not enter my AAdvantage number during booking. As soon as I received my confirmation email with my US Airways locator number (Ticket# was AA 001). I logged into US Airways with my FF#, found my reservation, and associated my reservation with my US Airways FF#. Got the standard T-7 email saying flight was not eligible for upgrade. Lo' and behold at OLCI I was asked if I wanted to upgrade for $0? Went from 5C to 3D. Very pleased and excited since I saved about $80 booking on AA. Maybe they are getting this fixed! Also note the fare class was: V
Interesting. But I think what you're describing isn't a "complimentary preferred upgrade" at OLCI (although the net effect to you was the same). I think this was a GoFirst offer that happened to be priced at $0 because you're CP. Sounds like a glitch very much in your favor. GoFirst upgrades can be purchased by anyone - my bet is that you were on a very elite light flight. Would be interested to know if F goes out with a few empty seats.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Interesting. But I think what you're describing isn't a "complimentary preferred upgrade" at OLCI (although the net effect to you was the same). I think this was a GoFirst offer that happened to be priced at $0 because you're CP. Sounds like a glitch very much in your favor. GoFirst upgrades can be purchased by anyone - my bet is that you were on a very elite light flight. Would be interested to know if F goes out with a few empty seats.
Right now the first class bulkhead row is empty. I'll let you know what happens at departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.