Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes @:-)

Prior thread can be found here:
US Automatic Upgrades (Elite)
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: AA PlatPro; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Not sure if this is the right thread for this question - apologies if not.

As a US Gold, if I purchase a flight operated by US on the AA website, will I be eligible for an upgrade on the US flight? The one I'm looking at is pricing out $50 cheaper on aa.com vs us.com. Does anyone gave experience with this situation? Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by DCWolverine
Not sure if this is the right thread for this question - apologies if not.

As a US Gold, if I purchase a flight operated by US on the AA website, will I be eligible for an upgrade on the US flight? The one I'm looking at is pricing out $50 cheaper on aa.com vs us.com. Does anyone gave experience with this situation? Thanks!
I have the same question. For me it's a PHL-PHX-YVR flight. Returning home, 1 segment is on Alaska YVR-SEA-PHL, but because it's so short for the Alaska one, that's no big deal. Also, as a side note to this one, since I have Gold Status on US Airways, when I'd check in for my return flight on Alaska, would I get free luggage for all in my group?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I have the same question. For me it's a PHL-PHX-YVR flight. Returning home, 1 segment is on Alaska YVR-SEA-PHL, but because it's so short for the Alaska one, that's no big deal. Also, as a side note to this one, since I have Gold Status on US Airways, when I'd check in for my return flight on Alaska, would I get free luggage for all in my group?
I just found out the answer to this directly from US Airways. Flights that are purchased as AA codeshares on US metal are NOT eligible for upgrades for preferred members.

Also, for my question about Alaska Airlines, it would be subject to their baggage rules/fees.

Hope this helps others beyond me.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I just found out the answer to this directly from US Airways. Flights that are purchased as AA codeshares on US metal are NOT eligible for upgrades for preferred members.

Also, for my question about Alaska Airlines, it would be subject to their baggage rules/fees.

Hope this helps others beyond me.
While unfortunate, it is in line with what we saw during the final year or so of the UA codeshare.

To maximize FF benefits, fly the carrier issuing the elite benefits.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by phlwookie

To maximize FF benefits, fly the carrier issuing the elite benefits.
(and on their stock)
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by beofotch
It looks like they may have fixed the IT glitch which enabled anyone with us status to check in again to snag a first class seat if one became available within 24 hours... I used to do this frequently and as recently as last week.

Right now my flight tomorrow shows a first class seat available. When I check in again instead of offering it to me it only gives me coach seat choices. I am thinking this loophole is closed. Any other experiences?
Not working anymore for me on a flight for tomorrow.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Just to clarify - there are F seats available and re-checkin is not letting you get one? How many are available and where are you on the UG list?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:01 pm

Yes 1 available and I'm one on the list.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:08 pm

It keeps fluctuating from 1 to 0 open with nobody jumping me so maybe just a one time problem.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Just worked for me this morning. F was full for the last few days, but at T-3 hours a seat showed available. I snagged it on my way to the airport on my smartphone.

Maybe somebody beat you to it...or did the seat continue to show as available after you tried re-checking in?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:58 am

It worked for me today so I don't think a seat actually opened last night just a website glitch.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
I just grabbed one that opened up on the mobile website. F was totally sold out since T-7 and I just checked about 30 minutes ago and saw not only an F seat, but lots of coach seats too (flight had previously been sold out for over a week).

I'm guessing weather has caused some miss connects.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
I just grabbed one that opened up on the mobile website. F was totally sold out since T-7 and I just checked about 30 minutes ago and saw not only an F seat, but lots of coach seats too (flight had previously been sold out for over a week).

I'm guessing weather has caused some miss connects.
That's pretty much a certainty. At least as related to PHL, we've gotten 4-8" of snow today depending on where in the metro area you are.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
3 peeps on a PNR, one elite, anyone upgraded?

There will be three of us on one PNR, but I'm the only elite.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid.../upgrades.html

Will any of us get put in the upgrade rotation, or does having three people on the PNR exclude us from upgrades period?

Thanks

A
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: US Airways DM Silver, United Mileage Plus
If you're the only elite, my understanding is that 3 people on the res will exclude you from the sweep. Only way out is for you to split the res if upgrades are important.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.