Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes @:-)

Prior thread can be found here:
US Automatic Upgrades (Elite)
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'm starting the year off right. Ticket bought yesterday for travel Sunday - BWI-PHX-ELP. Booked into N. CP line stated there was a seat for upgrade (BWI-PHX was at F3). Didn't want to confirm with miles and I waited for the sweep as I got the "suite" seat (10A) on the 319. Sweep ran an hour later and I got the upgrades.

There was only 1 upgrade seat available when I called, the other 2 were being held for sale.

Flight's now at F0 - so they either released the seats or sold them. Regardless, I gotta admit it was nice marching in at the last minute and snagging the seats.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Exclamation US/AA IT - Integration Problem

I am booked on a US Express flight (Republic) in 5 days. I am Gold and have my Dividends Miles number associated with the reservation.

Oddly enough, at the 5 day mark I just received an email message for US Airways about my upgrade status.

Two things are odd:

1. It says the flight is operated by American Airlines Express although this is DCA-JAX - a route not offered by AA.

2. It says "Complimentary upgrades not offered".

I guess it's also odd I received any notification this far out.

I confirmed my travel agent booked this as a US flight number (3269) and my no-status AA frequent flyer number has been deleted from my travel agent's profile for a few weeks now. This is the same flight number as it has been pre-merger and is not a codeshare flight number.

Has anyone else seen this?

I'll report back at T-3 to see what happens when the upgrade process is suppose to run. Hopefully the "Complimentary upgrades not offered" is a temporary mistake as it should have read "not available" or "too early".

PS - can I attach a screen capture somehow?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just got the same email regarding an upcoming itinerary with multiple Republic flights. Ive already been cleared for an upgrade on the second leg, but am wondering what wil happen when my next windows open up. Tried calling the Gold desk for information but gave up after being on hold for almost half an hour! Guess there must be several calls about this.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
I am US Plat and booked 2 one ways last week PHL > DTW > PHL. Out going flight was upgraded to FC yesterday and today I was told "Complimentary upgrades not offered" on the return flight. The DTW>PHL is operated by Republic and the PHL>DTW is US. Plenty of FC seats are still available though.....
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by ACA321
Just got the same email regarding an upcoming itinerary with multiple Republic flights. Ive already been cleared for an upgrade on the second leg, but am wondering what wil happen when my next windows open up. Tried calling the Gold desk for information but gave up after being on hold for almost half an hour! Guess there must be several calls about this.
Originally Posted by acomire
I am US Plat and booked 2 one ways last week PHL > DTW > PHL. Out going flight was upgraded to FC yesterday and today I was told "Complimentary upgrades not offered" on the return flight. The DTW>PHL is operated by Republic and the PHL>DTW is US. Plenty of FC seats are still available though.....
Are you getting the "not offered" message too far in advance? and it is saying "operated by American Airlines Express"?

I also booked two one ways for next week. The first for next Monday cleared at the usual time. The most optimistic scenario is that when the window really opens, we'll get cleared or properly told "not available" instead of not offered.

EDIT - The flight in question had 7 F seats available this morning and still has 7 seats after the message went out.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Originally Posted by acomire
I'm US Platinum and just got the "complimentary upgrades not offered" message for a flight on Republic in five days. Interestingly I flew the exact same flight on Wednesday night and was upgraded.

Does anyone know if we get upgrades on Republic flights or not? If not, I would have sucked it up and taken the hour earlier flight in the Wisconsin CRJ-200 torture tube.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by MEABFlyer
I'm US Platinum and just got the "complimentary upgrades not offered" message for a flight on Republic in five days. Interestingly I flew the exact same flight on Wednesday night and was upgraded.

Does anyone know if we get upgrades on Republic flights or not? If not, I would have sucked it up and taken the hour earlier flight in the Wisconsin CRJ-200 torture tube.
I usually fly Republic flights in the E170/E175s and regularly get upgrades as USDM Gold. It's no different than other mainline flight for me.

Are you getting the "not offered" message with an incorrect claim that the flight is operated by American Airlines Express?

(Hold on a sec, does that brand even exist? It's called American Eagle or Envoy, right? )
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by jaxbill
I usually fly Republic flights in the E170/E175s and regularly get upgrades as USDM Gold. It's no different than other mainline flight for me.

Are you getting the "not offered" message with an incorrect claim that the flight is operated by American Airlines Express?

(Hold on a sec, does that brand even exist? It's called American Eagle or Envoy, right? )
Yes, it says it is operated by American Airlines Express. American Airlines Express has never flown into PWM which is where my flights in question are originating.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:44 pm

As US Platinum this is what I saw today.

Those "American Airlines Express" flights were showing as "operated by Republic" until today.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:45 pm

Yes, it says it is operated by American Airlines Express. American Airlines Express has never flown into PWM which is where my flights in question are originating.
Ok, same here. Sounds like an IT problem where US/Republic flights are showing up as AA now. Hopefully the upgrade system does not really think these are American flights. If so, we don't qualify for upgrades with our US status. That would explain why we got the "not offered" message.

I'm still two days outside the window to know for sure. Hopefully someone inside the upgrade window will report back if they clear automatically or have to call to push the upgrade through.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:48 pm

As US Platinum this is what I saw today.

Those "American Airlines Express" flights were showing as "operated by Republic" until today.
Should these all be "too early" as for a Platinum? (I'm only gold)

For me, the upgrade email notice was 2 days too early. I never receive a notice about upgrades days before I am eligible.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I strongly recommend everyone with this problem call in to troubleshoot - hopefully they open tickets to investigate and remediate, as it looks like they broke something, and more volume helps with that.

I would not operate under the hope that it resolves itself, even though that might happen.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:56 pm

Just spoke to the preferred desk. I got four words out and she immediately knew what I was talking about. It was a test run in preparation of offering AA preferred members upgrades on US flights. She believes the upgrade process will work correctly at the correct times. It seems like the "test run" ran outside of the upgrade window for most of us on the thread. SO, hopefully this is really a cosmetic issue.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:02 pm

Just spoke to the preferred desk. I got four words out and she immediately knew what I was talking about. It was a test run in preparation of offering AA preferred members upgrades on US flights. She believes the upgrade process will work correctly at the correct times. It seems like the "test run" ran outside of the upgrade window for most of us on the thread. SO, hopefully this is really a cosmetic issue.
Thanks. I hope that is the case. As Platinum I shouldn't have seen that email until four days out which would be this coming Monday.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Not a cosmetic issue! I've got two flights coming up in three days from now- first one on Republic, connecting to a mainline flight. Got the upgrade notification for the mainline one, but NO mention even of the Republic-operated one, other than the "Complimentary upgrades not offered on this flight" next to the false "American Airlines Express" flight number. I called the Gold desk, and the helpful agent was confused. She noticed what she called a "Q" next to all the Republic flights on my reservation, but confirmed they are indeed still US marketed flights. After putting me on hold and talking to a supervisor, she apologized saying there is a glitch in system and due to the reworking of some codeshare arrangements this is now apparently happening. She did however manually process my upgrade, but said I'd need to call back for each of the others on the later part of the itinerary as it seems they'll be overlooked as well (according to what she told me her supervisor said).

US. I really wonder if this "glitch" is automatically upgrading AA elites on these flights instead....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.