Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes @:-)

Prior thread can be found here:
US Automatic Upgrades (Elite)
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by fordan
Bet the flight was a Y or B fare; that's usually when I see the early upgrade notices.
Not in my case - mine were W and L respectively...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fordan
Bet the flight was a Y or B fare; that's usually when I see the early upgrade notices.
Same thing just happened to me. I got the upgrade notification at T-9, however I already purchased a first class seat. I guess since the connection was a Dash, they had to remind me FC wasn't available.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I recently gave my Trial Silver Preferred special dividend to a friend with no status. He was upgraded 7 days in advance to a P fare, rather than 2 days in advance to an O fare (domestic ticket). For those of you going to ask, no, he did not make any changes to his ticket and was booked in coach. Did upgrade fare buckets change? Has anyone seen silvers upgraded early?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Organgrinder
I recently gave my Trial Silver Preferred special dividend to a friend with no status. He was upgraded 7 days in advance to a P fare, rather than 2 days in advance to an O fare (domestic ticket). For those of you going to ask, no, he did not make any changes to his ticket and was booked in coach. Did upgrade fare buckets change? Has anyone seen silvers upgraded early?
P is the bucket that you upgrade into from Y/B fares (and aren't constrained by 2/3/4/7 day windows) - assuming he was booked on one of those?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Posted this as part of another post in the Reciprocal Benefits thread, but thought a portion may be of interest to others seeing wonky upgrade behavior:

Nightly upgrade sweep cleared me on one leg and on another leg changed my class of service to bottom-of-the-barrel coach from Y. I've also seen the button disappear for "Standby for First Class" during check-in many times, and in such cases I am not added to the Upgrade Queue. Calls to the Chairman's Desk are resulting in complete bewilderment sprinkled with apathy.

My $.02 on it all: It's almost like we're getting a peek behind the curtain and seeing some of the algorithms at work determining true upgrade sequencing that goes way beyond simple formulas of just status, purchase date, and fare class. Add to that either a bunch of new hires or some call overflow to non-US folks who have absolutely no idea what they're doing. It's baffling really.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by coastalguy

My $.02 on it all: It's almost like we're getting a peek behind the curtain and seeing some of the algorithms at work determining true upgrade sequencing that goes way beyond simple formulas of just status, purchase date, and fare class. Add to that either a bunch of new hires or some call overflow to non-US folks who have absolutely no idea what they're doing. It's baffling really.
I think you/we now have the AA minions competing for seats we used to take for granted. Seems now, you pay or you lose. Welcome to the new (it sucks) AA!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
P is the bucket that you upgrade into from Y/B fares (and aren't constrained by 2/3/4/7 day windows) - assuming he was booked on one of those?
Thanks Taxicabnumber, I totally forgot Y/B fares upgrade to the P bucket. That must be it.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:42 am

Booked a ticket for me and the wife to FCO with a CP cert, which was cleared at booking. I got an email at t-7 for the domestic segment saying it hadn't been upgraded yet, etc etc. Check in today, and even after checking in a second time, I am not on the list and there is no way to add myself to the upgrade list. When I check the mobile site, it does not show either of us on the upgrade list, and when I called the CP line, the rep said she sees me in "the queue" for an upgrade, even though I cannot add myself to the list and do not see myself on the list. I called again and asked, and this rep said that at 24 hours the system stops checking automatically for upgrades, and when I told her I see other names on the list but I am not on there and I cannot add myself by checking in again, like always, she said sometimes that isn't available. When I asked why are there other names on the list already, she said "I can transfer you to web support." Ironic, this is the most expensive ticket I have ever bought on US and I am going to end up going coach, even though I cleared this route like 65% as a SP/GP/PP last year, but won't as a CP.

I am CP and wife is nothing on US. What is going on here...is this normal? I know we have to clear together, but I find it odd that I cannot even get on the list. Not a ton of experience with CP.

Why can't US have functional tech? I got precheck and wife did not, even though both numbers are inputting into the corresponding US FF numbers. I always have the second passenger not get precheck on their BP. Sigh.

Last edited by antonius66; Mar 10, 2014 at 12:07 pm
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
Booked a ticket for me and the wife to FCO with a CP cert, which was cleared at booking. I got an email at t-7 for the domestic segment saying it hadn't been upgraded yet, etc etc. Check in today, and even after checking in a second time, I am not on the list and there is no way to add myself to the upgrade list. When I check the mobile site, it does not show either of us on the upgrade list, and when I called the CP line, the rep said she sees me in "the queue" for an upgrade, even though I cannot add myself to the list and do not see myself on the list. I called again and asked, and this rep said that at 24 hours the system stops checking automatically for upgrades, and when I told her I see other names on the list but I am not on there and I cannot add myself by checking in again, like always, she said sometimes that isn't available. When I asked why are there other names on the list already, she said "I can transfer you to web support." Ironic, this is the most expensive ticket I have ever bought on US and I am going to end up going coach, even though I cleared this route like 65% as a SP/GP/PP last year, but won't as a CP.

I am CP and wife is nothing on US. What is going on here...is this normal? I know we have to clear together, but I find it odd that I cannot even get on the list. Not a ton of experience with CP.

Why can't US have functional tech? I got precheck and wife did not, even though both numbers are inputting into the corresponding US FF numbers. I always have the second passenger not get precheck on their BP. Sigh.
When traveling with a companion you do not get to add to upgrade list at check in. When you get to the airport I believe you can have an agent add you then.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
I believe you need to split the reservation if you wanted to get added to the list at check in.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: free agent
Yes, this changed recently - I just updated the Wiki post with the "standby for upgrade" rules. Basically, the only person on the res has to be the preferred member at OLCI in order to add to the standby list.

One thing I don't know, is what happens if there's a situation like yours (preferred plus no status), 2 seats become available after OLCI (this is rare), and then you do OLCI again, pressing the "just change seats" snagging button. I know for a fact it works for one (I.e. me alone); I've never seen anyone do this with multiples.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by lizs
When traveling with a companion you do not get to add to upgrade list at check in. When you get to the airport I believe you can have an agent add you then.
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I believe you need to split the reservation if you wanted to get added to the list at check in.
Ah ok thanks. I wish the reps would make that more clear. So, basically if you are with someone else on the reservation, if you don't clear together at t-7 until 24hrs, you are out of luck after that.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Ah ok thanks. I wish the reps would make that more clear. So, basically if you are with someone else on the reservation, if you don't clear together at t-7 until 24hrs, you are out of luck after that.
You can split after check in, but it is unlikely that two seats would open, but 1 could.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
I got an email at t-7 for the domestic segment saying it hadn't been upgraded yet, etc etc. Check in today, and even after checking in a second time, I am not on the list and there is no way to add myself to the upgrade list. When I check the mobile site, it does not show either of us on the upgrade list, and when I called the CP line, the rep said she sees me in "the queue" for an upgrade, even though I cannot add myself to the list and do not see myself on the list. I called again and asked, and this rep said that at 24 hours the system stops checking automatically for upgrades, and when I told her I see other names on the list but I am not on there and I cannot add myself by checking in again, like always, she said sometimes that isn't available. When I asked why are there other names on the list already, she said "I can transfer you to web support."

What is going on here...is this normal?
I had this exact same situation on domestic flights last week. Something is wrong and it seems quite a number of US reps have absolutely no idea how to fix it. Additionally, Web Support cannot do anything to help with the problem. I don't know what exactly is broken, but I suspect it has something to do with the systems integration work I presume the new American IT team has underway. And of course, by the time you're T-24h all of the upgrades that could possibly have been available will most likely have been released to the people whose names you currently see in the queue.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ACA321
Well, here's my experience for 2014 so far as a lowly Gold: 14/16 flights upgraded in January. Routes included CLT-DTW-CLT, 4 flights between GSO-CLT-GSO, 2x CLT-MCO-CLT, CLT-MEM-CLT, RDU-CLT and CLT-YYZ.
I've seen CLT-DTW-CLT and DTW-PHL-DTW mentioned, but does anyone have any experience or know anyone on DTW-PHX-DTW? I posted in the trial preferred thread that I was thinking about buying the silver status, but have two r/t flights coming up (dtw-phx-san actually), and I would really like the upgrades. Just messing around on the US airways page, the flight loads look relatively light on this route. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.