Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes @:-)

Prior thread can be found here:
US Automatic Upgrades (Elite)
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:14 pm

What is the trick, please?

Originally Posted by lizs
Wow, the trick of checking in again to see if a F seat finally worked for me! On PHX-DCA tomorrow too, an upgrade I have never come close to getting. I was so excited to grab that F seat, thank you FT members for alerting me to that!!!!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by shawn67
Basic info: Flight 430 PHX-MCI leaving 3/14/14. Booked in February on AA website did not enter my AAdvantage number during booking. As soon as I received my confirmation email with my US Airways locator number (Ticket# was AA 001). I logged into US Airways with my FF#, found my reservation, and associated my reservation with my US Airways FF#. Got the standard T-7 email saying flight was not eligible for upgrade. Lo' and behold at OLCI I was asked if I wanted to upgrade for $0? Went from 5C to 3D. Very pleased and excited since I saved about $80 booking on AA. Maybe they are getting this fixed! Also note the fare class was: V

I had a similar issue. Booked a CLE-CLT-SEA-CLT-CLE mileage run on the AA site (US metal all the way) due to a voucher. Added my US silver number to the reservation when booking, right after all codeshares went live.

T-7, not eligible for upgrade. When I went to check in, I could select first class seats for a fee of $0, on all flights. I availed myself of their offer for first class both ways. Was quite happy with the series of flights in F. Everything credited appropriately to my account, too.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:36 am

Re: what is the trick?

mm03172
- the trick is keep "checking in" throughout the day because if an F seat opens up by someone canceling, moving up, etc. you can grab it regardless of where you are on the upgrade list. Important note here - do complete check in the first time to get on the upgrade list. You also don't have to re-complete check in every time. Just get to the main check-in screen and click "change seats". If an F seat is open to grab it will show on the seat map.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Please let that trick die, the more publicity the worse.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
One day this will change to prioritize by status then latest check-in time.
That'll fix it
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Honestly, I doubt they'll ever fix it. It'll probably just disappear once US Airways disappears through the merger.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
+1

To the OP: IMO, say it once and don't speak of it again. If it's important enough for people to figure out the how, they can read through the entire thread like the rest of us who've been here a while. Continuing to socialize something like this accelerates the expiration date.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Wow, talk about being stingy on upgrades. CP, T-7 today is F7, the seat map shows 3 empty F seats (but presumably there are more in Row 1 that they always hold back), and at today's upgrade window e-mail it said no upgrades are available! I'm still in the fallback 10F seat position.

It doesn't appear anyone else was moved upfront because every last exit row seat is still occupied.

Last edited by blueheronNC; Mar 21, 2014 at 8:37 am
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Wow, talk about being stingy on upgrades. CP, T-7 today is F7, the seat map shows 3 empty F seats (but presumably there are more in Row 1 that they always hold back), and at today's upgrade window e-mail it said no upgrades are available! I'm still in the fallback 10F seat position.

It doesn't appear anyone else was moved upfront because every last exit row seat is still occupied.
It's been pretty well reported over the past couple months that upgrades are often being held until T-4 or later before being released to anyone, CP or otherwise.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
For my latest trip, BWI-PHL (big whoop ) and BWI-CLT have hit at the T-7 windows.

However, PHL-TPA and (hopefully) TPA-CLT appear to be T-4 upgrades. Weird thing is in both instances, they were at F9 at T-7. So I'm not expecting anything for next Friday's TPA-CLT until Monday.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
I have yet to miss an upgrade this year, excepting for IRROPS.

Everything cleared at the Platinum 5 day window.

My typical routes have been CMH-PHX, CLT-SAN, DCA-MSP, CLT-MSP, and various short hauls.

Biggest complaint: keep getting stuck in row 3 on transcons!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL

My last flights cleared on T-2... it depends on what flights you are trying to take really. T-7 is not happening very often (especially on a Hub-Hub flight).
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:32 am

Man you all have fast fingers. I started the check-in process 15 seconds into T-24 and completed it by T-24 and 1 minute, 5 seconds and am 2nd on the upgrade standby list!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Man you all have fast fingers. I started the check-in process 15 seconds into T-24 and completed it by T-24 and 1 minute, 5 seconds and am 2nd on the upgrade standby list!
Someone else may have had a connecting flight and could have checked in hours before you.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:50 am

Someone else may have had a connecting flight and could have checked in hours before you.
My origin only has US flights to the three hubs (PHX, CLT and PHL). The only way that would happen (not sure if this is even possible) is if someone were connecting in on a Star Alliance carrier which allowed them to check into the US leg before T-24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.