Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I think it's a bit aimless to debate the pro's and con's of each current program and get all up in arms over which program is "better" when the combined program is probably not going to look at all like the current AA or US program. Maybe it does for a year but my money's on some random frankenprogram that no one likes, in the long haul. Maybe I'm just cynical, and hopefully they'll prove me wrong, but the combined UA/CO program currently doesn't look much like either one did pre-merger, and same for NW/DL. With only 3 legacies left and a massive number of people captive to either their hub location or their employer travel policy, it's going to be a case of "so where are they gonna go" and not a case of spoiling their loyal elites.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: None
FWIW, probably nothing, but AA is forging ahead of it's efforts to attract more premium elites. They just took delivery today of the first A321 they're calling the T designator for trans-con - JFK-LAX/SFO for starters. First/Business with fully lay-flat seats plus their version of UA's E+, main cabin extra or something like that. AC power and USB will be available at every seat. As far as I know they're also continuing the conversion to main cabin extra seating on the fleet. Either/both could be undone, but the fact that AA's continuing at this point - a month before the merger - says something about the product to be offered in the future (but nothing about the FF program itself.

Jim
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The new AA 321 has 102 total seats vs the US 321 with 187 seats... this will be an interesting merger.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
AA is to follow UA to implement "dynamic pricing" for upgrades ( they're auctioning seats off ). Check out this fascinating thread in the UA MP forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ua-follow.html

I'll never stop laughing after I reduce my leisure travel to a bare minimum and the airlines won't see a dollar of my discretionary income.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
"Upgrade requests made via this bidding process will only be accommodated after AAdvantage elite status members' 500-mile upgrade requests have been accommodated," American spokesman Matt Miller says in an e-mail to Today in the Sky, referring to the carrier's frequent-flier upgrade procedure.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...rades/3654575/

Can't say I'm particularly worried about this.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by zerodegre
I just reached platinum status this week.. any guess how this will translate after merger since there is no tier equivalent on American.?? also how does the first class upgrade work on US and which program for upgrades will be adapted?
So I think the US DM 75k status is most at risk. I will use that term to avoid confusion with AA PLT (50k). I think for 2014, it would be very feasible that you get EXP (100k) match status. I think for 2015, there might be a revenue option (EQP or something else) that would allow you to show value to keep EXP otherwise, or you would be looking at the AA PLT status.

I think it is possible that a fourth status would be created on the AA side, but I have my doubts because of how big the AA program is already.

At EXP, upgrades are complementary (space available, certain regions). Currently at AA PLT, you have to use upgrade e-coupons (500 miles per coupon). You earn coupons via flying or can purchase them if you need extra. Because three is decent revenue from selling upgrade coupons, a complementary upgrade program below 100k is not expected.

My opinion for the silver lining is I think the US DM 75k flyers will get a special treat in 2014 for the AA program, but we won't know until the announcement to come on the 1/7/14 implementation announcement.

Rasheed
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
"Upgrade requests made via this bidding process will only be accommodated after AAdvantage elite status members' 500-mile upgrade requests have been accommodated," American spokesman Matt Miller says in an e-mail to Today in the Sky, referring to the carrier's frequent-flier upgrade procedure.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...rades/3654575/

Can't say I'm particularly worried about this.
Of course, there are two problems with this statement.

The first one is that EXPs don't use e500 for upgrades ( they're CPUd ), so technically this "promise" won't apply to EXP upgrades.

The second one is really? This is exactly what UA said while selling ToDs. When UA elites caught UA by taking screenshots, UA claimed it was just system glitches.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EP
I share the notion as expressed by dcpatti in few posts above - 'your baby is more beautiful than mine...' means very little to me... Looking forward, 'our new baby' may not be of resemblance of either...

One thing I am very certain that I will be missing dearly the ability to have a choice in picking good flights in J/F. In short, I will no longer have the options of being pampered by TG, OZ, SG, ANA, LX, LH, TK etc.
With the merger now being almost certain, I will have to be contented with only BA, CX, JAL, etc. Of course, the competitions will then become much fiercer with many FF members competing for fewer good ones...

Yes, I do intentionally omit others and use only the above airlines for my International travels!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
As far as I know they're also continuing the conversion to main cabin extra seating on the fleet. Either/both could be undone, but the fact that AA's continuing at this point - a month before the merger - says something about the product to be offered in the future (but nothing about the FF program itself.
The only mainline aircraft not being converted that I'm aware of are the 762s (which are slated for retirement) and the 772s (which I assume are waiting for enough 77W/788/789 to start converting.)

No definite word that I'm aware of of on whether the 772s are going to the 77W Y- (10-across) in the non-extra main cabin, but one should assume so.

Am very curious how soon the US-fleet Airbus equipment will get similar upgrades, especially the MCE (which can be pretty quick, as withness the AA narrowbodies).
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by burlax
Of course, there are two problems with this statement.

The first one is that EXPs don't use e500 for upgrades ( they're CPUd ), so technically this "promise" won't apply to EXP upgrades.
You still have to request the upgrade, just like a Platinum or Gold flyer does. You check the very same box they check for 500 miler upgrades, just in the end nothing is deducted. Not all EXPs want to be upgraded particularly if they're traveling with others.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
The new AA 321 has 102 total seats vs the US 321 with 187 seats... this will be an interesting merger.
The 3-class A321T is specifically for the high-premium-traffic transcon routes currently served by the 3-class 762s; I don't think anyone's indicated that it will be the only configuration of the A321 that AA flies -- given the size of AA's A321/A321neo order, I think it's reasonable to assume it's merely the first.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by paytonc
The DOJ order is for slots, plus "rights and interest in other facilities at the airport necessary to support the use of the slots" like gates, ticket counters, etc. (Not that US has any shortage of ticketing space there -- there's the one in National Hall, the one by the Metro bridge, the one upstairs...)

That said, I don't know if there are many new entrants to DCA among the bidders. Would this end with, say, B6 moving to the middle pier?
That's how I read it. The merged airline has to definitely give up two gates at a few airports (DAL, ORD, and such). But at DCA, it appears that they are subject to giving up gates at DCA. Since B6 and WN use the old terminal, I'm not sure they would want to move if they can absorb those new flights into those current gates. And given that Spirit left, and maybe if AC moves to the larger terminal, it could work. Perhaps AS could use the middle concourse, and AC could be near the UA gates (and the UA Club).

Since AA/US will be shedding 44 flights there. There will probably be upguages from 50-seaters to 76-seaters (which can utilize a normal gate). And that would help reduce the mess that is Gate 35A.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
It's already known that the main AA 321 fleet (being delivered next year) will have 16 F seats (and I think 167 Y seats). Which is almost identical to the current US 321 fleet (which don't have MCE seats yet).
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fanjet
. . . maybe if AC moves to the larger terminal, it could work. Perhaps AS could use the middle concourse, and AC could be near the UA gates (and the UA Club). . .
AC is in Air Canadia? If so, what does it have to do with the competitive stance on the US domestic market?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by burlax
AC is in Air Canadia? If so, what does it have to do with the competitive stance on the US domestic market?
Last time I flew on AC (maybe less than 2 years ago), it was originating out of DCA. And we departed out of the old terminal rotunda. Is AC no longer flying out of DCA (where US/AA have to give up slots and perhaps gates)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.