Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by masonuc
but what will that really mean?
No one really knows, buddy... Thats why there's 169 pages of theories posted here.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: None
I think it's a safe bet that you'll be able to get either AA or US miles, assuming that the trips are after 1/7/14. Unless you need them for 2014 CP status I guess it doesn't matter which you credit to.

Anything else is anyone's guess. You might take a look at the AAdvantage top tier benefits though I don't know how much that will really help. I just can't picture AA giving US FFs but not AA FFs unlimited FC upgrades and that sort of thing.

Jim
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
From AA.com

The New American

In our plans to combine with US Airways, we will continue bringing you the unparalleled service and rewards you've come to expect as a member of our AAdvantage® program. At this time, American and US Airways will remain separate companies and each airline will maintain its current loyalty program – our AAdvantage program and US Airways Dividend Miles. You will not earn AAdvantage miles on US Airways flights, but your AAdvantage Miles are secure and existing miles will continue to be honored. Likewise, your elite qualifying miles and your elite status, including lifetime status granted under the AAdvantage Million MilerSM are secure and remain intact. And, as always, you can continue to book, track and manage flights and your AAdvantage account on aacom.
I did not find anything similar on the US website.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:14 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Note the use of "At this time" in the post above. I suspect you'll see that change next week when they announce what exactly "reciprocal benefits" really is for 1/7/14.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Note the use of "At this time" in the post above. I suspect you'll see that change next week when they announce what exactly "reciprocal benefits" really is for 1/7/14.
I decided to wait on booking a mid-January transcon and am instead waiting on some announcements next week. Hopefully they release the full plan then and fares are still the same.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:01 am

Jim:

Given the east-west animosity, what is the picture on integrating 3 pilot groups?

Reading another board, it seems that nothing much has changed - and now another merger again throws the lists into chaos - is this going to be even uglier or is there an acceptable solution on the table?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:05 am

Over on the AA board there are also reports of AAngels (Admirals Club employees) telling flyers that reciprocal club access is starting on January 6th (although it seems January 7th would make more sense). Good news as my current home airport of SNA has only a United and American club and I was worried about losing access.

Anyone know the general features of Admiral's Clubs? Pros/cons to USAirways clubs?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by lizs
Anyone know the general features of Admiral's Clubs? Pros/cons to USAirways clubs?
I can't speak to US clubs / comparisons, but Admirals Club in general are fine from a United States airline club perspective.

Seating is comfortable, snacks are very bare, actual food is available for purchase. Certain beer and house liquor is complimentary. The staff at the AC are top quality and are amazing when you need help, especially during IRROPS. All clubs (IME) have computers and printers.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
Jim:

Given the east-west animosity, what is the picture on integrating 3 pilot groups?
In one way not much has changed, only the judge's name and the courtroom. There is a hearing later this month on the issue of east/west differences with US management taking a "let's get this under control" stance so nothing holds the merger up.

The issue in this trial is more centered on representation. USAPA insists that only it can represent all US pilots, east and west, and that nothing ties it's hands in doing that. So it can take an opening stance using the list it has wanted since it's formation - straight DOH. The company and west pilots are effectively saying "hold on there - USAPA (controlled by the east majority) - can't claim to represent all the US pilots while at the same time promising to start with a east/west integrated list that favors east pilots at the expense of west pilots." The company has filed this time to get a judge's ruling that the west can have separate representation in negotiations/arbitration to arrive at an integrated US/AA pilot seniority list. Of course, that's the last thing that USAPA wants.

A new wrinkle is the US/US pilots MOU, which is basically a new contract when the corporate merger is concluded. During voting on that MOU, USAPA was telling everyone who would listen that it was neutral on the east/west seniority issue. Of course, as soon as the MOU passed member ratification that changed and a small provision added by USAPA is claimed to "wipe the slate clean" and allow USAPA carte blanche.

There's also another wrinkle - the US/APA MOU gives a timeline for what most consider will be USAPA losing a representative election and ceasing to exist, courtesy of the APA majority. Of course, among east pilots there is talk that USAPA would still represent US pilots (east and west) until the seniority issue is settled - a position that runs totally contrary to NMB rules which only allow one representative body at a time once the election is held.

Jim
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:03 am

Sounds like it's time to dump the unions and start over. That sounds more like entrenched union management than it does the actual pilots themselves, unless I'm misunderstanding. Are the rank and file east/west union members actually ok with the posturing? I suppose if it does represent how the actual pilots want to handle things, it's legitimate.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've long speculated that the pilot seniority issue will be settled via arbitration, and that the arbitration panel will integrate the AA pilots and the US pilots by combining just two lists: the APA seniority list and the George Nicolau-prepared list that the East pilots have never recognized and was the reason they left ALPA and formed the USAPA.

The East pilots will not be all that happy with the outcome but unlike last time, they won't have the votes to form yet another union in an attempt to run away from the binding arbitration result.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:22 am

Not actively working, and haven't been since before this blew up with the arbitrator's ruling in 2007, it's hard for me to judge the sentiment of the east pilots other than to say that it's probably mixed - some just want it over and at least the vocal minority want what they consider the due, most west pilots at the bottom of the combined list.

Like politics anywhere else, different factions want different things including their way.

Jim
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
I am EWR-based and two days ago I stopped in the Admirals Club there to see if I could get any intel. The AAngel there said she'd heard that Club reciprocity would happen December 9th, the date the merger takes effect. Here's hoping....
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I've long speculated that the pilot seniority issue will be settled via arbitration, and that the arbitration panel will integrate the AA pilots and the US pilots by combining just two lists: the APA seniority list and the George Nicolau-prepared list that the East pilots have never recognized and was the reason they left ALPA and formed the USAPA.

The East pilots will not be all that happy with the outcome but unlike last time, they won't have the votes to form yet another union in an attempt to run away from the binding arbitration result.
That would seem to be the most reasonable outcome - because East will be outnumbered this time. Of course, it rests on APA finding the result of the next arbitration acceptable - or at least accepting the arbitrator's decision as binding instead of trying to end-run it.

Since they have no dog in the Nic fight, if they are happy with merging the Nic list, that's what should happen.

Nic attempted to keep everyone's relative position the same (If Jim says otherwise, I would take his word for it), which is the only "fair" way to do it, but we all know how fair life can be!
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Sounds like it's time to dump the unions and start over. That sounds more like entrenched union management than it does the actual pilots themselves, unless I'm misunderstanding. Are the rank and file east/west union members actually ok with the posturing? I suppose if it does represent how the actual pilots want to handle things, it's legitimate.
Seniority is everything to these guys, and as Jim said, both sides want it to work out their way. Basically, East has always wanted the West guys at the bottom of the merged USAirways totem pole. Up till the AA merger, East had the numbers to essentially defy Nicolau's decision (which they "lost").

Throw in the larger pilot group from AA, and how long they can hold on to that position becomes unclear.

Hopefully it can get resolved now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.