Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
That would seem to be the most reasonable outcome - because East will be outnumbered this time. Of course, it rests on APA finding the result of the next arbitration acceptable - or at least accepting the arbitrator's decision as binding instead of trying to end-run it.
Drifting further off topic, the arbitration this time will be binding per federal law. In the US/HP merger the east, after seeing the result, didn't consider the award binding because only ALPA policy declared it binding - never mind that both sides leadership (the MECs) agreed that it would be binding going in. You see, under ALPA at the time each side forms a merger committee who then negotiate, mediate, arbitrate to get the final seniority award. The merger committees then agree to the final award and ALPA presents it to the companies - still US and HP operating separately although the corporate merger closed the day US emerged from BK.

Nic attempted to keep everyone's relative position the same (If Jim says otherwise, I would take his word for it), which is the only "fair" way to do it, but we all know how fair life can be!
You are correct except for one relatively small difference. Nic set aside all jobs on the A330/B767 for the most senior east pilots despite about 2/3 of those jobs being FO or IRO jobs, NOT captain positions. Everyone else went by seat/equip ratios so the widebody FOs/IROs merged in with the other narrowbody FOs. He effectively took seniority away from east FOs/IROs, flying the only widebodies, and gave it to the top east pilots.

Jim
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: USAirways, Hertz, Hilton, Delta, Starwoods, Marriott
AA or USAir credit card?

I have had the US MC for about 10 years and primarily use it for the 10k PQMs to get to Gold status, so I do not need it for boarding status etc....
I am thinking of applying for the AA card now for 2014 for the bonus miles and dropping the US MC as my annual fee is due. What I am not sure about is if I start on the AA in 2014, would those charges going forward also gain a 10k PQM for 2014 if I spend the limit. Basically I do not want to lose the 10k PQM and that takes precident. Thoughts?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: None
That would depend on the terms of the AA card, assuming that you don't wait until there is only one provider of the "new" AA affinity card. At some point you likely won't have a choice between the US or AA card although anyone who knows when that point will be reached isn't talking.

If you want to get any bonus miles from an AA card I'd get that card as soon as possible. Given the difference in size between AA and US, there's some speculation that the current AA card will be the survivor but until something is announced no one really knows for sure. In the US/HP merger, Parker opened the competition to be the provider of the affinity card like an auction - whoever would pay the most (in pre-purchased miles) won the bid. Hopefully he learned from that experience, because the previous issuer retained and Barclays got valid contracts to be the exclusive provider and that mess ended up in court.

Jim
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Donk2001
I have had the US MC for about 10 years and primarily use it for the 10k PQMs to get to Gold status, so I do not need it for boarding status etc....
I am thinking of applying for the AA card now for 2014 for the bonus miles and dropping the US MC as my annual fee is due. What I am not sure about is if I start on the AA in 2014, would those charges going forward also gain a 10k PQM for 2014 if I spend the limit. Basically I do not want to lose the 10k PQM and that takes precident. Thoughts?
One factor to keep in mind is that the US card is (likely) going away. Many months ago, Citi pushed (and may have even started to sue) to force AA to make a decision about new AA's credit card partner strategy. AA confirmed/settled that Citi will be the AA card provider of the new AA. As a result, it appears the Barclays cards are going away at some point.

Of course, that won't happen immediately on Monday when the merger closes. As with so many facets of this merger, we don't yet actually have any details of how any of this work, what exactly will change, or when it will change. But just keep it in the back of your mind that your Barclays US card will (probably) eventually be converted into some other non-miles Barclays card when the new AA/Barclays relationship ends.

This thread from earlier in the year (in the AA forum) has discussion of Citi's action and AA's resultant decision:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tcy-court.html
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by lizs
Over on the AA board there are also reports of AAngels (Admirals Club employees) telling flyers that reciprocal club access is starting on January 6th (although it seems January 7th would make more sense). Good news as my current home airport of SNA has only a United and American club and I was worried about losing access.

Anyone know the general features of Admiral's Clubs? Pros/cons to USAirways clubs?
On the other side, will they STOP honoring United Club cards in US Airways Clubs?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by remedy
On the other side, will they STOP honoring United Club cards in US Airways Clubs?
At some point, yes. There won't be US Airways Clubs eventually, as they'll convert to Admirals Clubs.
When these magic dates are--no one knows at this point. Well, I'm certain that some people do know, but I doubt they can share that information yet.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by NJTraveler
I am EWR-based and two days ago I stopped in the Admirals Club there to see if I could get any intel. The AAngel there said she'd heard that Club reciprocity would happen December 9th, the date the merger takes effect. Here's hoping....
I could see certain aspects of reciprocity taking effect almost immediately in the most competitive cities, or in markets where there's a real need to work to keep a small but lucrative set of flyers in-house post merger close.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Donk2001
If I read the terms of the AA Citi card correctly, the benefits are far worse than the US MC.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/co...e-credit-cards

While the $95 US card gives 10K PQM after $25,000 spend, only the $450 AA version of the Citi card offers 10K PQM, and that is after $40,000 spend. And no more easy $99 companion tickets that US has - Depending on the Citi card, you get either a single companion ticket or a $100 discount chit after $30,000 spend. There seem to be a lot versions of the cards with different benefit combinations, most of which don't seem that exciting. This looks to be a big negative for those transitioning from US. Maybe they will keep the US Barkley's MC around for a while - I still have the US BA Visa card, with all of the original benefits.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by split8s
If I read the terms of the AA Citi card correctly, the benefits are far worse than the US MC.

While the $95 US card gives 10K PQM after $25,000 spend, only the $450 AA version of the Citi card offers 10K PQM, and that is after $40,000 spend. And no more easy $99 companion tickets that US has - Depending on the Citi card, you get either a single companion ticket or a $100 discount chit after $30,000 spend. There seem to be a lot versions of the cards with different benefit combinations, most of which don't seem that exciting. This looks to be a big negative for those transitioning from US. Maybe they will keep the US Barkley's MC around for a while - I still have the US BA Visa card, with all of the original benefits.
You are correct, only the $450 card (Citi Executive AAdvantagee) offers the ability to earn EQMs via spend. And that card is a relatively new offering (only since Summer 2011 IIRC). Historically, the only way to get EQMs/status on AA has been to fly in a seat on a plane. AA never really seemed to want to go down the road of monetizing EQMs / buying status (Re-upping lost status / challenges to gain new status is a different story.)
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by lizs
Anyone know the general features of Admiral's Clubs? Pros/cons to USAirways clubs?
US clubs have more extensive free snacks, including soup (yes their forum has a whole thread just discussing favorite lounge soup offering)

AA clubs have more extensive food for purchase options, but meager free snacks.

Otherwise I don't see many differences.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by split8s

Don't forget Barclays also offers 5K mile discounts on award tickets. Citi offers discounts to a rotating list of domestic destinations; if yours isn't on the list, then it's full price.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Segments
US clubs have more extensive free snacks, including soup (yes their forum has a whole thread just discussing favorite lounge soup offering)
That sounds like a very good thing for AA to bring over.

AA clubs have more extensive food for purchase options, but meager free snacks.
With the exception of some of the international clubs... yeah.

A few of the more minor stations actually do more than the hubs; JFK/LAX/ORD/DFW are all very basic while SFO at least has self-serve soft drink and LGA has bagels in the morning.

Originally Posted by swag
Don't forget Barclays also offers 5K mile discounts on award tickets. Citi offers discounts to a rotating list of domestic destinations; if yours isn't on the list, then it's full price.
Some of the Citi cards also rebate 10% of the miles redeemed, up to some limit (10k miles?) yearly.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Segments
Otherwise I don't see many differences.
Main differences that I see are the many Admirals Clubs with showers, free well liquor and outside food is permitted.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Main differences that I see are the many Admirals Clubs with showers, free well liquor and outside food is permitted.
US bans outside food? Bleh.

Free well liquor and non-premium wine/beer was a pretty recent change, right? I remember having to do drink tickets for even the cheap stuff a few years ago.

For international trips, lounge showers practically make keeping PLT/OW Sapphire worth it on its own. Not all of the international lounges have them, though.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The lack of showers at PHL Terminal "A" is a testimony of Parker "cheap" - not a derogatory comment. US didn't even have showers in the "Envoy Lounge" before it was downgraded. If AA expands PHL internationally, as expected, particularly if additional OW carriers enter service there, showers will almost be mandatory for longer layover connecting passengers. Showers in Raleigh, but not PHL - absurd. Hopefully, upgrading PHL clubs to AA amenities is part of Parkers already stated integration plan. Additionally, now that BA will have a significant increase in connecting traffic at PHL (From near ZERO to all of the new AA network), it would seem they will likely add showers to the their Galleries Lounges in A-West.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.