Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

TSA PRE-Check & US preferreds (Update: Now with PreCheck noted on boarding passes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PRE-Check & US preferreds (Update: Now with PreCheck noted on boarding passes)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Camarones
Another data point:
Its difficult to set up an interview when you live in the middle of the country and travel mostly on weekends!
FYI - the IAH location has weekend hours. You can use the 'behind security' tram to take you to terminal E and then exit the security area. You'll need to go down a floor to international arrivals and then go towards the right (if you have the street entrance behind you) where there is a small frosted glass door.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've opted in for Pre-Check, but I do have a question for those in airports with Clear....

I am a Clear member and would rather use Clear at MCO since I face a consistent time frame for clearing security (no wondering, am I pre-check eligible for this flight, etc.). Honestly, I could care less about taking my laptop and liquids out and taking off my shoes. If I am selected for pre-check on a flight out of MCO do I have to use the pre-check line or can I go through Clear (taking out/off items as usual)?

I still want to be able to use pre-check at other airports since Clear is so limited currently.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Hokie Gator Flyer
I am a Clear member and would rather use Clear at MCO since I face a consistent time frame for clearing security (no wondering, am I pre-check eligible for this flight, etc.). Honestly, I could care less about taking my laptop and liquids out and taking off my shoes. If I am selected for pre-check on a flight out of MCO do I have to use the pre-check line or can I go through Clear (taking out/off items as usual)?
Doesn't CLEAR have its own document scanning station where your identity is confirmed? If so, the TSA would not be scanning for PreCheck there, so you wouldn't have to worry about using PreCheck. You would use the CLEAR lane in the usual manner.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Timeline for US participation?

UA web-site shows dates and airports for expected UA pre-check participation; This month? We'll see...
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...aspx#prescreen
TSA web-site shows projected airports that will incorporate this program, but does not say which airlines; important to note no specifics of program expansion beyond AA, DL, AS; merely "Additional airlines"
http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/escreening.shtm

US info? Insert icon for crickets here.

West airside at MCO? Insert icon for crickets here also.

Used the program at MCO with DL; East airside security. This was a reasonable security experience, and the first time I've ever perceived any added security value from the BP and ID check, used for entry to the pre-check lane..... This may not continue for long but the pre-check line was sparsely used, MCO CLEAR program currently has no perceptible value on this side of MCO.

ETA; found this; http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2012/0208.shtm indicates some time this year for US induction into program. There are also strong indications that even now, any airside that scans the BP will give the pre-check OK, regardless of whether you're flying the airline designated as part of the program or not.

Last edited by NY-FLA; Jun 10, 2012 at 7:58 am
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by 14940674
Doesn't CLEAR have its own document scanning station where your identity is confirmed? If so, the TSA would not be scanning for PreCheck there, so you wouldn't have to worry about using PreCheck. You would use the CLEAR lane in the usual manner.
Only if you enjoy disrobing, disassembling your luggage, and the more frequent scope and gropes. Precheck offers far more than CLEAR's simple line jump.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Only if you enjoy disrobing, disassembling your luggage, and the more frequent scope and gropes. Precheck offers far more than CLEAR's simple line jump.
Pre-check is not a guarantee--you don't know until you get to security if you'll be allowed to use it on each trip. At MCO not being able to use it could mean a 1/2 hour wait in line. Personally, knowing I'll be through security in 5 minutes is much more valuable when I fly out of there every week than the 1 minute or less it takes me to get my laptop and liquids out and put my shoes on the belt. I pack the same way and wear clothes that only require me to take off my shoes so "disrobing and disassembling" luggage isn't an issue at all. I've never been selected for a pat down in 3 years--not saying it couldn't happen, but if it does, it does.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hokie Gator Flyer
Pre-check is not a guarantee--you don't know until you get to security if you'll be allowed to use it on each trip. At MCO not being able to use it could mean a 1/2 hour wait in line. Personally, knowing I'll be through security in 5 minutes is much more valuable when I fly out of there every week than the 1 minute or less it takes me to get my laptop and liquids out and put my shoes on the belt. I pack the same way and wear clothes that only require me to take off my shoes so "disrobing and disassembling" luggage isn't an issue at all. I've never been selected for a pat down in 3 years--not saying it couldn't happen, but if it does, it does.
I know the press about pre-check states you're still subject to random, none pre-check security. Word around these forums seems to be that this is driven by international itineraries not being pre-check eligible, and there's oh, so many ways around that.
Line jump at $150 per year versus pre-2001 airport security for "free"? No contest.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
I know the press about pre-check states you're still subject to random, none pre-check security. Word around these forums seems to be that this is driven by international itineraries not being pre-check eligible, and there's oh, so many ways around that.
PreCheck is far from certain. Many people on eligible domestic itineraries receive CLR. If one can guarantee faster passage through the checkpoint by using CLEAR, and if one is running short on time, then skipping PreCheck is a wise decision.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:49 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by GoinSki
From what I read about TSA PreCheck on AA, they actually generate some type of trusted traveler number (not the GE PassID), and populate that in the AA PassID field.
I belive it is both TSA and US driven - but I think the main part might be the primary airport and/or address. Most high tier members on DL/UA received invites. Not completely sure. I was CP for many years, and DCA is my primary airport + have a D.C. address.
When you log in to your GE acct it gives you a screen that shows your trusted traveler number - THAT si the number you enter in the US FF acct.

Then it is driven by the airline if you are an elite.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by ffI
When you log in to your GE acct it gives you a screen that shows your trusted traveler number - THAT si the number you enter in the US FF acct.

Then it is driven by the airline if you are an elite.
I believe that GoinSki was saying that AA creates a TT number for its elite pax who are entered into PreCheck. If that is true, then one could enter that number into his or her US profile, and attempt to use PreCheck when flying US.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by 14940674
PreCheck is far from certain. Many people on eligible domestic itineraries receive CLR. If one can guarantee faster passage through the checkpoint by using CLEAR, and if one is running short on time, then skipping PreCheck is a wise decision.
Medium term continuation of CLEAR is also far from certain. Guess each individual needs to make their own value decision, but I'm not sure the broader perspective of CLEAR's value bodes well for its survival.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by JMN57
I've been through PreCheck on AA 6-8 times. In all cases:

1) Old fashion metal detector (no backscatter)
2) No need to remove shoes or jacket
3) No need to take 3-1-1 bag out or laptop out

You do need to take metal (phones, etc) out and put them through the conveyor for x-ray.

All together - much faster.
I was "selected" for PreCheck at PDX last week while flying US.

I concur on the list above - metal detector only, no need to remove anything, no need to take anything out of your bag. The only thing they asked was to remove any cell phones from you pocket to put them on the belt.

All in, it took about 30 seconds. It was fantastic!! Now that I've actually used it, I cannot wait until it rolls out in PHL.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hginPHL
I was "selected" for PreCheck at PDX last week while flying US.
How did you know you were selected?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: US1, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President
Hip Implant

Does anyone know what happens if you have hip implant. Do you then go back to standard pat down etc. when metal detector alerts?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, United Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I was sent the invitation e-mail about the TSA Pre-Check and it told me to login to my profile and select "opt in" but next to the TSA Pre-Check icon on my profile it just says "learn more". Anyone else having this problem? I'd really like to take advantage of this as soon as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.