FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA PRE-Check & US preferreds (Update: Now with PreCheck noted on boarding passes)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:42 pm
NY-FLA

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by Hokie Gator Flyer
Pre-check is not a guarantee--you don't know until you get to security if you'll be allowed to use it on each trip. At MCO not being able to use it could mean a 1/2 hour wait in line. Personally, knowing I'll be through security in 5 minutes is much more valuable when I fly out of there every week than the 1 minute or less it takes me to get my laptop and liquids out and put my shoes on the belt. I pack the same way and wear clothes that only require me to take off my shoes so "disrobing and disassembling" luggage isn't an issue at all. I've never been selected for a pat down in 3 years--not saying it couldn't happen, but if it does, it does.
I know the press about pre-check states you're still subject to random, none pre-check security. Word around these forums seems to be that this is driven by international itineraries not being pre-check eligible, and there's oh, so many ways around that.
Line jump at $150 per year versus pre-2001 airport security for "free"? No contest.