Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random 1,000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by EileenSRN
The US Airways Master Card through Barcley's was one of the accounts breached. Are you all MC holders? I got the message twice (hubby uses my email address), and I used to have a MC of my own, as well. What bothers me is there is no DM number in the email, something every other correspondence from USAirways has.
I'm not holding my breath,
EIleen

Strange situation.

First off, I did get the "1,000 mile" email, but I do not have that MC you mentioned.

US Air happens to be one of the few companies which did not send me an email today about Epsilon. As I said in an earlier post, I have more than a dozen Epsilon emails at this point,...Chase, Hilton, Marriott, Best Buy, Target, etc, etc,...but NOT US Air. Could one still be coming? Maybe so.

The "1,000 mile" email does look legit enough, BUT it does not have my name and account number at the top. As nutty as it seems, I have saved all of my US Air emails from the past 3 years, and each and every one of them has my name and account noted, EXCEPT for this "1,000 mile" email.

Strange.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:20 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
All the links are off of "resp.myusairways.com" which is a valid US Airways domain name and most promo emails contain links to this. Clicking any of them (did so in a sandbox though it was entirely unnecessary) just takes you to US Airways main site - different pages depending on which link. Anything from the privacy policy to your account info.

The main link, stripping out the PHP redirect, sends you to:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid..._acct_04042011

But that's not a valid page, it simply returns you to the default "Earn Miles" page.

So I sent a politely phrased email to customer service and the Platinum desk complaining about yet another half-arsed promotion plus additional website failures of late including conflicting information on their pages. Not that this will do any good but at least for a moment it felt great to vent.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jack Burton
The "1,000 mile" email does look legit enough, BUT it does not have my name and account number at the top. As nutty as it seems, I have saved all of my US Air emails from the past 3 years, and each and every one of them has my name and account noted, EXCEPT for this "1,000 mile" email.
Likewise. I just looked back through 40-or-so in my deleted file (6 months worth) and every one had my name and DM # -- except this one.

It seems wildly out of character for US to give me free miles, just because they know they make me 'happy.'

I'd love to think they've figured out the way to my heart, but . . . (just sayin')
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:39 pm

If it's related to Barclays and the Epsilon breach I'm really confused - the links are valid (at least they go to valid US-owned domains and there's no funny hidden redirects or data capture that I can see) and there's no request to supply any info.

Someone just having fun but not acting nefarious?

And if Epsilon related, US and Barclays suck for not taking the time to notify customers of the potential risk yet. It shouldn't be my job to keep tabs on the growing list of companies who contracted with Epsilon. Sounds like Epsilon had quite the monopoly, I must say.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Also got the email and no points.

Have never set foot on a US Airways plane in my life but am a regular buyer of miles!

Doesn't seem quite right.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
just got it w/ the 1,000 pts
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
If it's related to Barclays and the Epsilon breach I'm really confused - the links are valid (at least they go to valid US-owned domains and there's no funny hidden redirects or data capture that I can see) and there's no request to supply any info.

Someone just having fun but not acting nefarious?

And if Epsilon related, US and Barclays suck for not taking the time to notify customers of the potential risk yet. It shouldn't be my job to keep tabs on the growing list of companies who contracted with Epsilon. Sounds like Epsilon had quite the monopoly, I must say.

Well, there have been hundreds of cases where people have hacked specific companies simply to play jokes, or embarrass. Not saying it is the case here, but, every one of the Epsilon emails I have received have clearly stated that ONLY email addresses have been stolen,...no names, account numbers, etc. Quite a coincidence with that US Air email arriving tonight without any user info, no?

As far as Epsilon being a monopoly, indeed. Just got 2 more in the past hour, 1-800-FLOWERS and Walgreens. Seems like they deal with every company on earth, and maybe even a few more planets we don't even know about.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:01 am

It couldn't hurt to call DM and ask if it's legitimate. I'll try during business hours, and if the cust. serv. rep can't confirm or deny because they don't know, maybe they can ask managers, because if it is a breach, DM should be notified. Of course I bet many people have called and emailed already, but since no one's posted a definitive answer yet it's worth a try.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:01 am

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver

Barclays DID notify their customers.
EIleen
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by EileenSRN
Barclays DID notify their customers.
EIleen
Not this customer.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:29 am

Not this customer.
Nor this one.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Not this customer.
This one did. One of many such messages in the past 48 hours.

Via email, yesterday morning, at 7:54 AM. . .

Important Announcement For US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard Customers

Dear Customer,

Re: Important information regarding a breach to the privacy of your email address.

Barclays Bank of Delaware is the bank behind your credit card referenced above. We have been informed by Epsilon, a marketing vendor we use to send emails to customers, that someone outside their company gained unauthorized access to files in their systems that included your email address. This has affected many of our credit cards under our various co-brands, including the brand on your card.

Epsilon has assured us that the only information that was obtained was your name and email address. Please be assured your account and any other confidential or personally identifiable information were not at risk.

It is possible you may receive spam email messages as a result which could potentially ask you for additional information about your account. Please note, Barclays will never ask you in an email to verify sensitive information such as your full account number, Username, Password or Social Security Number. Therefore, any email which does so should be treated suspiciously, even if it looks like it comes from Barclays. As a reminder, we urge you to be cautious when opening links or attachments from unknown third parties.

Barclays is one of many companies affected and so you may receive similar notifications from other companies.

Please visit the "Privacy and Security" section at our website www.usairwaysmastercard.com for more information on protecting your personal information.

We sincerely regret this has taken place and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Barclays is committed to protecting customers against the misuse of their personal information and we take security issues very seriously. We vigorously monitor the security of our systems and require all third party vendors to adhere to strict security and privacy policies and procedures.

Please know that a full investigation of this matter is under way by Epsilon and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our customer care center at the phone number on the back of your credit card.
Sincerely,

Larry Drexler
Chief Privacy Officer
Barclays Bank of Delaware

Karen Smithson
Information Security Officer
Barclays Bank of Delaware
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:10 am

Epsilon not involved, or I highly doubt it.

Both my wife and mother received the email a short time ago (no miles though) but they do not nor have they ever had any branded US Airways card, Barclays or otherwise.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I got the email, my husband didn't. The only difference between his account and mine is that I have the US Mastercard and he doesn't. I did get the warning email from Barclays as posted above. No 1000 miles posted as of now.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:21 am

I was planning on purchasing some miles in order to issue an award that is on hold till tomorrow. I got the email, thinking woohoo 1k less miles ot purchase. But alas, no miles. Anyone have an idea how long it might actually take to post?

thanks
goodo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.