Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The demise of UA Connection software

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2001, 9:45 pm

mjm, Thanks for getting "the press" involved. I provided info to Jane Costello and am also optimistic that something will be printed. Sure would like to know the "slant" the story will take......
Old Jun 27, 2001, 11:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by hobson:

We continue to make improvements to our website on a daily basis. Great
strides have been made in the last couple of years in all areas of the
website and we're proud to be pioneers and innovators.

Greg[/B]</font>
Are those strides forward or backward? How can they make this kind of statement? Have they never logged on to the monster and got worthwhile results? They must think we're a bunch of idiots that they can feed this crap to. I got the same story from a CTO yesterday as I tried to explain to her that I needed the 24 hour hold so I could deliver my SilverPak coups to her. She couldn't believe that the web product did not offer the same 'CTO Option' and assured me that I must be mistaken. And this from a gal that has written me close to a hundred tickets over the last three years.

If the plan is to drive us nuts, I guess it's working as I've never been so 'het up' for a non-life threatening issue.

Old Jun 27, 2001, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very well put, Papachuck! This starts to really get on my nerves. Trying to sell us an absolutely inferior product is really offending. I am just waiting having to read between the lines that UA questions our intellectual abilities because we are refusing to buy into this bull-crap.
I have survived very patiently quite a few up and downs with UA. But, this is the absolute worst decision of this airline against its best and most loyal customer base I have EVER EVER seen!
Old Jun 28, 2001, 2:37 am
Suspended

I recall reading a while back lots of positive comments when Jim Davidovich from UA was on some kind of live chat here. He sounded like a plugged in sorta guy that even read FT. Sure, he has no direct input to ual.com, but does anyone here have his direct email? A senior exec. getting one concerned email and passing it on internally has more weight than 500 emails to "canned Kathy".

If someone has Jim Davidovich email please post it, and I and others might try it.
Old Jun 28, 2001, 12:25 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:
... Also, I posted thread to the Only Randy Petersen board asking if he would weigh in with this </font>
Here is Randy's response to my email to him re this (posted here with his permission):

...it may not be for a day or two as i'm really on a tight deadline on something else, but i will look into this. Thanks for the note....

[Edited to clean up a formatting problem]

[This message has been edited by cblaisd (edited 06-28-2001).]
Old Jun 28, 2001, 3:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
I just sent a response to [email protected] and will wait to see what they come back with...

Hello. Your response to my letter about the demise of United Connection for the PC mentioned that you have made improvements to the UAL.COM website. I would like to point out some of the dis-improvements you have also made:

1. You removed the fare amount from the booking screen. This was a useful feature to select flights with lower fares

2. You reduced the usefulness of the seat mapper function by eliminating premier seat selection when my itinerary has a non-Premier companion

3. You have reduced the response time of the web site

4. You have done something to make the web site unavailable more frequently.

In addition, you have still not added the following:

1. The ability to use the Jr and Sr suffix with last names

2. The ability for my father and I to use the website and receive the 10% Silver Wings discount

3. The ability to hold a reservation while checking for available hotel rooms (I book rooms from the hotel's web site)

4. The ability to ask for more flight choices after the first few are displayed

5. The ability to ask the system to find the least expensive fares and tell me when they are available

I realize that there are good reasons to discontinue the PC product. I would ask that you consider that my points above are not unique to me, but affect all PC users. In this time of reduced service in flight, what makes me or any other PC user choose UA over the competition? AA is more than willing to comp status for UA frequent fliers. Just something to ponder. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Old Jun 28, 2001, 7:47 pm

I received this reply to my inquiry about whether the decision to discontinue was being re-evaluated. Can't decide if I want to see any hope in this:

"Steve,

With any major type of decision like this, we do evaluate our decisions
down the road to judge whether or not it was a good move....such as all
good businesses should do.

Thank you for taking the time to share your viewpoints on United
Connections with us.

Regards,

Greg"
Old Jun 30, 2001, 10:21 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Three weeks from today the United Connection software is slated to go belly-up!

I am simply bumping this to the top in the hopes that there are several folks on this long thread who have not yet made your phone calls, sent your letters/faxes/emails, and posted a copy of your letter (via the "Sample Letters" link at http://saveunitedconnection.com ) to UA. Please go ahead and just do it!

For your convenience, I've also collated some of the contact info from previous notes on this thread here:

Investor Relations (this is a DUMB decision that will cost not save $ for UA)
UAL Corporation
World Headquarters
P.O. Box 66100
Chicago, IL 60666
Ph: 847-700-4000
Fax: 847-700-2214

[email protected]
[email protected] (Prod Mgr-united.com)
[email protected] (CEO and Chairman)
[email protected] (IS and CIO)
[email protected] (VP E-Commerce)

Customer Relations, 877 228 1498, option 4

Direct Link to posting a copy of your letter on the "Sample Letters" page of http://www.saveunitedconnection.com -- http://www.quicktopic.com/7/H/t9QwZcxhaUiG

FlyerTalk link to monitor in Randy Petersen's forum to see his response
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum97/HTML/000435.html

Thanks to all!

(Edited to add the now corrected email address for Mr. Goodwin, per the post following this one)

[This message has been edited by cblaisd (edited 06-30-2001).]
Old Jun 30, 2001, 11:39 am

Just a small correction to cblaisd's excellent summary. You will get an e-mail failure if you try to contact CEO Jim Goodwin that way. His e-mail address is [email protected]

Old Jun 30, 2001, 7:09 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Well, I've called to complain at the number that has been posted...I've sent emails...I've mentioned the demise of UC to every 1K Rez person and Customer Service person I have come across...I have done my part.
I booked several tickets on UC yesterday -- consider that my parting gift :-)
Seriously, I have offered to UA to charge us for the use of UC, and to save money, they could eliminate all of the local modems they use, as I am sure most people can connect directly via the Internet.
I want to thank everyone else for everything they have done.
Gary
Old Jul 2, 2001, 6:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I had to book a ticket on ual.com on Friday since the return portion is after the 20th. I was not happy. I ended up having to call the 1k line 2 times to get info.

Then, just for snicks, I looked for the same info on cnxn. No problem. No phone calls.

Penny wise, pound foolish. Shortsighted frigging bean counters...

------------------
-------------
www.saveunitedconnection.com
Old Jul 2, 2001, 9:49 am

[I'm contemplating a switch to Northwest at the end of the year due to some other issues I have...This might be the last straw.]

By all means switch to Northwest. 6 years ago I switched from UA to NW because I was fed up with UA's awful on-time performance, numerous cancellations, and their unresponsive Customer Service department. I'm now a third year Silver Elite with NW and have never had a problem. The people at NW are more consistently friendly and helpful than UA's people. NW has an alliance with CO, an excellent airline. I have such negative memories of UA that I bend over backward to avoid them, even making connections on other airlines when UA offers a nonstop. Go with NW!
Old Jul 2, 2001, 9:52 am

[Since I live in Minneapolis and
my company has a corporate rate with that "other airline", I
sometimes have to work real hard to stay loyal. ]

Given a choice betweeen NW, which has the second best (after Southwest) on-time record in the industry over the last ten years, and UA, which ranks dead LAST in on-time performance over the last ten years, why on earth would you choose UA?? And you live in MSP???
Old Jul 2, 2001, 1:59 pm

KGruendel-
The answer to your question about why UA vs. Northwest is that in the past, I had been treated very poorly by Northwest and very well by UA. The only way I could "vote" was with my travel dollars.

Also, for many of the trips I would take, United was actually cheaper than NW.

In general, I still like the service I get from UA better than NW.

But now comes this United Connection thing...
Old Jul 2, 2001, 4:40 pm

On Saturday I sent a letter to [email protected] and [email protected]. Look at the to responses I got:

(This was the one sent to Jim Woodwin, the response came from [email protected]. And I am sure he asked her to thank me!)

Hello,
Mr. Goodwin asked me to thank you for your email. As resources to maintain the United Connections product are no longer available, in order to provide the best travel planning tools and information, we have turned our focus to united.com

United Airlines along with our E-Commerce division are dedicated in bringing many of the features to the website. Some of the features are currently under review. Your feedback is always appreciated, and
considered to make united.com the best travel website available.

We want to thank you again for being a loyal United Airlines customer and we appreciate your business. Your feedback will be sent to the appropriate department for review as your thoughts and ideas are what help make United Airlines the carrier of choice.
Regards,
Ang
Customer Relations

-----------------------------------------

Thank you for your email. As resources to maintain the United Connections product are no longer available, in order to provide the
best travel planning tools and information, we have turned our focus to united.com

Your reservation will still be active in United's reservation system. However, you will no longer be able to look at your reservation online after July 20th using the United Connection software nor will you be
able to view your reservation on-line at www.united.com as these are two separate booking systems. If you are in need of assistance, please contact United reservations at 1-800-241-6522. If you are traveling on another carrier, please contact that carrier directly.

United Airlines along with our E-Commerce division are dedicated in bringing many of the features to the website. Some of the features are currently under review and one of those is the ability to hold a reservation. Your feedback is always appreciated, and considered to make united.com the best travel website available.

We want to thank you again for being a loyal United Airlines customer and we appreciate your business. Your feedback will be sent to the
appropriate department for review as your thoughts and ideas are what help make United Airlines the carrier of choice.

Regards,
Heather

They seem very similar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.