Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The demise of UA Connection software

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2001, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by opus17:
I like UC, but (being in the software business), I wonder if UA even has the ability to support this program, anymore.
</font>
Not being in the software business, I can't understanding why, if those mysterious programmers from the '90's could have created UC way back then, why can't the new millennium IT gurus just copy the same features into united.com. I use UC daily, but I'm not in love with the program -- I'm dependent upon the features. United can have the steak; just let me keep the sizzle.

------------------
Biggest Little 1K (in The Biggest Little City) In The World
Old Jul 3, 2001, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by hobson:
Opus-
Your points are valid, but United has not done anything to remotely match the actual booking capabilities of the web product to what UA Connection has. At my company, we have a product which hasn't been enhanced in years as well. It is a DOS based information reporting service. It's sunset will occur in about 2 years. It's trouble free, we're surprised that more customers haven't converted to more updated,feature laded options. It will be killed because of the resource requirements to support it for testing and customer service BUT it will only go away after SIGNIFICANT improvements are availbable on other platforms including the web.
</font>
Agreed. But if their company runs anything like any other company:

1. They have a budget for the software products (staff costs, equipment, etc.)

2. The budget doesn't allow supporting both products. (not enough people).

-or-

2a. The same staff is allocated to both products, but management has told them the web product is the higher priority. If they support U.C., then the enhancements to the web product will be delayed.

3. No chance to ask for more money, since UAL is losing money and they're looking to cut, not increase, budgets.

I don't think this works any differently just because it is an airline.
Old Jul 3, 2001, 11:43 pm

I have read here and heard elsewhere that United did not have in-house programmers do the UC software, rather they paid an external consulting company to write it. As part of the deal, UAL agreed to support it in-house afterwards, but the consulting company was not paid to make any further updates, and I suspect that is why we have seen no updates in greater than 2 years.

So you can imagine that it might be extremely pricey for them to pay someone to pick up this software and support it in the future.
Old Jul 4, 2001, 5:22 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I am truly sad about this. I just reserved a ticket using UC 3.0 and it was so easy.

Now to do the same thing (pick up at a CTO using vouchers), it will take me 15 minutes or more and I have to tie up a UA reservations agent on the phone too.

Shame on you United for wasting everybody's time & money.
Old Jul 4, 2001, 7:43 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Well I booked a flight on ual.com and it sucked.

At least with UACX, you can browse easily (especially if you are making a mult-segment trip).

Also, the type is very small and I hadn't noticed I booked a three hour layover at LAX travelling to PSP from LAS With UACX I would have held the booking and double checked it better, but with UAL.com you cannot hold the reservation.

I did send off my nasty-gram, but got standard BS back.
Old Jul 4, 2001, 8:00 am
Original Member

And usoftie, do you know WHICH external consulting company they hired?
Old Jul 4, 2001, 9:05 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Just a thought, but if all of us that have used UA Connection software notified UA that we would book through travel agents rather than use UA on the Web, that might be enough to make them see the folly of their ways.

It's interesting, I was using dialup software for my business checking accounts with CitiBank. They are shutting down their dialup just like UA is, but their web replacement is identical to the dialup except with a "prettier look." Same menus, same options, same everything except now it's on a nice web page rather than a mono color screen.

Larry
Old Jul 4, 2001, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by QuietLion:
And usoftie, do you know WHICH external consulting company they hired?
</font>
I do! And I bet you knew the answer, too.

"United Airlines didn't get to be the largest airline in the world by resting on its laurels. It's constantly exploring ways to better serve both employees and customers. One example of United's innovative attitude is United Connection, a software program that allows customers anywhere in the world to select and book their own flights, hotels, and car rentals from their PCs. The airline turned to Microsoft® Consulting Services to help it design, build, and introduce this highly successful product based on Microsoft Windows NT® Workstation and Microsot Windows® 95. Today, United Connection is helping United get closer to its customers by providing faster, more convenient flight booking, and is helping the airline lower its distribution costs."

http://www.microsoft.com/business/ca...rosoft_ual.asp

I guess UA's decision to eliminate this fine product means that United is now resting on its laurels, is no longer exploring ways to better serve both employees and customers, does not have an innovative attitude and doesn't want to get closer to its customers by providing faster, more convenient flight booking. We already know that its not the largest airline in the world.

[This message has been edited by LarryU (edited 07-04-2001).]
Old Jul 4, 2001, 11:26 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
How ironic that Microsoft just put out this article 2 months ago.
Old Jul 4, 2001, 8:59 pm

LarryU is exactly on target; Microsoft implemented the project.

I was a Beta-Tester for the original United Connection, and after filing numerous trouble reports through the official channel, I was given a phone number directly into the Microsoft development team.

I would LOVE enhancements, but would greatfully accept merely a continuance of the current software over cutting it off altogether. They can turn off the dial-in through the "United Airlines Network" and support only the Internet only access and save a bundle.

** United Connection Rules! **

Old Jul 5, 2001, 7:53 am

Long time lurker, first time contributor. As a 1K regular user of Cnnxn, I just wanted to add my name to the list of those upset with United's Decision. I as well have submitted emails and letters to those listed above.
Old Jul 7, 2001, 2:22 pm

I find it hard to believe that UAL would want to do away with something that works so well; the ability to do some things off-line as well as a much speedier access, makes the UA Connection my choice; I have tried the web and find it cumbersome and slow. Why eliminate a good thing?? If there is a desire to save money, perhaps eliminate the phone access - I have not used it and am willing to use my own ISP - but, please reconsider this decision!!
Old Jul 7, 2001, 3:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hjcombs:
...but, please reconsider this decision!!</font>
Amen, hjcombs , and welcome to FlyerTalk. I hope you've added your phone calls and letters and emails per the contact info above, and put a copy of your letter/email on the "Sample Letters" link at http://www.saveunitedconnection.com

Old Jul 7, 2001, 6:55 pm

I just purchased with UA CNXN for the first time...(FT is the greatest thing to ever happen to travelers) WOW. How incredibly easy and fast. UA CNXN on my slow 28.8 reserved tickets faster than United.com on my T-3 at school.

So much easier than calling to reserve so I can use coupons. It must have saved me half an hour.

I'll get my letters/emails done by Monday. They won't listen to me cause I have no status (but will be premier by the end of the year) and I have never paid more than $300 for a rt ticket but I'll try anyway.
Old Jul 7, 2001, 8:51 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Just wanted to note that I think United is the last airline to still offer this sort of software to its frequent fliers (I may be wrong).. My feeling is that some bigwig said it's not giving us a competitive advantage, so why bother...

Folks over at USAirways went through the same pain about a year ago when they discontinued our direct access software too... I wish you guys good luck but don't expect much success. The market doesn't seem to require this sort of service anymore.. everyone's still web crazy even though websites are so woefully inadequate..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.