Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The demise of UA Connection software

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2001, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Thanks for all the good work, folks. I posted the following email today to the usual suspects.

<G>

=========
Hi there:

I read your recent announcement about the demise of UACXN with both dismay and surprise. As a 1K, avid fan of the software, and early e-commerce participant, I can't shake the feeling that you're making a mistake.

My point-of-view is based on my personal experience with commerce, which began in early 1996, when I was Product Line Manager for E-Commerce at Cisco Systems. That year, Cisco sold $1 Billion worth of product over the Internet - greater than the sum total of the rest of the world's e-commerce activities and a number that is still (5 years later) well larger than your direct EC revenues.

Part of the reason for our success was a laser-sharp focus on the needs of our customers, and our commitment to providing them with the easiest, most effective, and tailored solutions to their ordering needs.

Although I am no longer with the company, today's Cisco sells over 80% of its products using Internet technologies (that's over $10Bn in real terms) - although a very large percentage of these orders do not come over the WEB - but, rather, through custom APIs that are provided for Cisco's best customers. The rule then is identical to the rule now: give the customer their preferred way to order, and you will maximize satisfaction and revenue.

The pattern of success established by Cisco, and other customer-focused companies (Siebel, Wells Fargo, Fedex) with respect to commerce is, frankly, ignored at your peril.

Your website product lacks the appropriate functionality, ease of use, and flexibility of the software application. Your customers have told you this. Your decision to terminate the software without an acceptable replacement will, therefore, result in lost sales: a truism that those of us in the commerce biz have learned the hard way.

I urge you to reconsider your strategy. Although it might seem "expensive" at first to maintain United Connection, the hard-fought lessons of other Internet innovators should not be ignored by your planning group.

Respectfully Yours,
Old Jul 7, 2001, 9:58 pm

Here's a quick example of what will happen starting July 20:
While on the road in Portland this week, my power adapter died on me and as a result could not access UCNX so had to phone to ticket a reservation on 24 hr hold. After going through the process asked the agent if a NA upgrade was available and she confirmed this. What should be my surprise today when checking on the res, that she had instead placed me on the upgrade list using 500 mile upgrade certs! Oh well.
And by the way when I mentioned the UCNX debacle, the word I got was : "my that is interesting I had never heard of United Connection". This was at the 1K desk. Unbelievable!

------------------
Monterey, CA. 1k, AA Platinum
Old Jul 8, 2001, 2:27 pm
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
Just got a glossy post card from UA reminding me (as if I didn't know) that UACXN was shutting down, and to hurry on over to united.com for my 7000 miles.

UA, stop wasting your money mailing me marketing rubbish, and put your money back into UACXN! No amount of spin will ever make the web site as good as UACXN.
Old Jul 8, 2001, 2:38 pm

Got it too but only 3k+1k miles...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dub:
Just got a glossy post card from UA reminding me (as if I didn't know) that UACXN was shutting down, and to hurry on over to united.com for my 7000 miles.

UA, stop wasting your money mailing me marketing rubbish, and put your money back into UACXN! No amount of spin will ever make the web site as good as UACXN.
</font>
Old Jul 8, 2001, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Here's the email I just sent to the various United email addresses. I'll make some phone calls tomorrow. If anyone knows work-arounds to the problems I encountered, please let me know.
-----------------------
I have used the United Connection software for years to book my travel on United. I have spent the past few days booking a business trip for myself and a colleague using united.com, since this will be my only online option if you terminate United Connection as planned.

I am furious, to put it mildly. Here are some ways in which united.com is far inferior to United Connection for business travel planning -- just from this one experience.

1. Since there is no ability to save a planned itinerary, I have had to enter the details of my trip every time I log on. I am flying LAX-EWR, then BOS-EWR, so of course I have to enter three legs (two air legs and a stupid ground leg) each time. I also have to enter who's traveling, pick my selected flights, etc. -- every time. With United Connection, I only have to do this once.

2. united.com is 2-3 times slower than United Connection. The wait is so slow I go off and do other things while waiting for the system to display the next page. Sometimes the system times out and I have to log in and start the itinerary all over again.

3. Although both myself and my colleague are Premier Executives, I could neither see or select the Premier/Economy+ seats. Since I could call up the seat map with United Connection, I knew that almost all the Premier seats were in fact available. I called the help desk and was told that this was indeed the case, and that I should call Reservations to select those seats! It is unbelievable that I will have to call Reservations every time to pick seats.

4. I could not find any way to view meal and service options for flights. These do not even appear on the E-Ticket receipt.

5. The E-Ticket receipt does not show our MP numbers.

6. I called reservations to upgrade one leg using Confirmed North American Upgrades. When I view the itinerary in united.com, it still shows us in coach (but with our first class seat assignments.)

I was fortunate to be be able to use United Connection to investigate flights, fares, seat maps and so forth for this trip. This of course will no longer be possible if you terminate United Connection.

I recently made a reservation for my mother on Delta's site. I was astonished to see that I could view reservations and change seat assignments for any Delta reservation under her FF number, including those made by travel agents and by phone. On United, I can't even change my seats for a reservation made on united.com, and I can't even view reservations made elsewhere. I can assure you that I will be investigating the tools which other airlines provide for business travelers.

I would appreciate your response regarding these problems with united.com, and how you intend to address them.
--------------------------------
Old Jul 9, 2001, 1:22 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Well, I still haven't heard anything at all from United about the discontinuance of the software, and I have outstanding itineraries booked on UC 3.0 as far ahead as November. No letter, no e-mail, no nothing.

My letter to all the nobs is on http://www.quicktopic.com/7/H/t9QwZcxhaUiG
Old Jul 9, 2001, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
So, I seemed to have received a slightly more personalized response from David Milobsky, PM for UAL.com. So, I wrote him back with my thoughts on the matter. See below for the thread, continuing from my previous post. I especially loved his gentle suggestion to not email the brass about it.

Read bottom to top...

&lt;G&gt;
===============
David:

I'm more than happy to send my additional comments to the uadisk address, and thanks for your prompt reply, but I wanted to point out to you that "continuous improvement" doesn't address my suggestions/concerns or commentaries very directly.

The issue isn't that you want people to use the website, I'm more than happy to do so. The issue is that the website isn't yet in the position to replace the disk software because it lacks essential functionality - not to mention its speed and reliability.

I don't think anyone objects to having to use the website - it's a great site overall. The problem is that (and let me highlight this so its super clear):

I CAN'T use the website to plan all my travel needs.

...because it lacks ESSENTIAL functionality.

It's not that I WON'T or HAVEN'T use(d) the website - it's that I CAN'T.

While I respect your decision to cease support for the product - it is your product after all - I can't agree that your providing me with a viable option. I'll spare us all the analogies because I think my point is clear.

And, for the record, let me reiterate that CAN'T is not a good position to put your customers (loyal or not) into. I was always taught that the point of a business is to generate profit. Any vehicle which generates critical revenue for you, especially in this economy, should be maintained - and, frankly, improved. Right now, topline $$ have _got_ to be the most important consideration of your company...as most of your costs are fixed.

So, I'm at a loss to explain your decision on this one, though frankly, I don't for one second think I have the right to second-guess you. This is your business, and your decision to make.

The only power I have is to choose alternative airlines. And this year, after reaching 1K (which routings I will have booked by EOW), I will cease buying tickets on UA to show you, in my own little way, that I think you're making a mistake. The rest of my business for 2001 will go to the OneWorld Alliance carriers, and I'll probably come back to United next year (2002) - because you guys are generally a good airline. Consider this my statement on the topic.

Oh, and please add me to your "website updates" list. I'll reconsider my decision if and when you provide a better product for me to use. Or, of course, if you should happen to change your mind about preserving UACXN.

Best Regards,

&lt;G&gt;

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 12:56 PM
To: xxxxx
Subject: Your Thoughtful Comments

Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Thank you for your comments regarding our decision to terminate the
disk-based version of United Connection. We realize that this action
is of concern to you, and we are working hard to make your transition
to united.com as smooth as possible.

We respect your preference for a disk-based planning solution, but over
the long-term, we feel that a web-based travel planning solution will
be far better. Freed from the constraints of manufacturing and
distributing software, we can provide our customers with a continuously
improving, state-of-the-art experience through united.com.

We are constantly evaluating new features for the website - like the
ability to hold a reservation - that will enhance the travel
experience. In the months ahead, I encourage you to use the website for
your travel planning. You will find that, in addition to many of the
capabilities you enjoyed on United Connection, you will also have
access to a wide array of new offers and services.

Your thoughts and ideas are critically important to our online product
planning process. Please send any additional feedback regarding
united.com to [email protected]. This is a special address that we are
using to collect product suggestions from disk users. Sending your
ideas to [email protected] insures that they will be a vital component of
our product plans going forward.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us, and thank you very
much for flying United Airlines.

Sincerely

David Milobsky

Product Manager, united.com
Old Jul 9, 2001, 5:57 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Although a UACXN user since it first became available, I have used united.com for simple two leg R/T's this year as they have had lower web-only fares in my primary market.

I had a very disappointing conversation with a web tech earlier today regarding a number of my future reservations showing as "offline" in the My Itineraries section of the site. More importantly, a reservation for this weekend, within the 100 hour window, did not show whether or not it had been upgraded. A call to the 1K desk confirmed it had, but the web tech was at a loss to explain why it didn't show on their site and why active reservations were 'off line'. The info she provided made no sense.

Personally, I feel the probability of saving UACXN is about the same as Microsoft bringing back DOS; but given the lack of current functionality at united.com, this decision IS going to cost UA $$ in the short term.
Old Jul 9, 2001, 6:23 pm

Had an interesting conversation with a 1K desk supervisor earlier today. While discussing the impending demise of UACNX she said "well, that means I won't have to worry about losing my job"! Right on, and I told her she may wish to consider adding more staff after July 20.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mryflyer:
she may wish to consider adding more staff after July 20. </font>
I reserved an 8-segment trip today on United Connection. Then I called 1K, gave the agent the reloc and asked her to make sure all segments were available for a confirmed upgrade before I ticketed it. Within a minute, she checked, she ticketed and she got me 8 first class aisle seat assignments in row 2, right where I wanted to be. After July 20, to do the same thing, I'll have to read the 1K agent all 8 flight numbers and have her book the itinerary, reading everything back to me to be sure no flight numbers got transposed. If I try to book on united.com, someone else could snag the HK-49 seats before I get back to 1K to do the upgrades. There go my 250 X 8 = 2,000 bonus miles for booking through United Connection plus inconvenience to me and the 1K folks. I guess this is one of the continuous improvements.

------------------
Biggest Little 1K (in The Biggest Little City) In The World
Old Jul 10, 2001, 1:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gabrielz:
So, I seemed to have received a slightly more personalized response from David Milobsky, PM for UAL.com. </font>
I got the identical "slightly more personalized response" except he didn't address any of the points I raised. Or perhaps he intentionally ignored my plea for the United Connection features I will be losing and expected me to be happy with the united.com options he finds glitzy.

------------------
Biggest Little 1K (in The Biggest Little City) In The World
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:10 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I too had a slightly more personalized response from David Milobsky - i.e. the usual form letter plus a personal paragraph on the front and one on the end. He did assure me that he had read every word I wrote and that my (I hope he means our) input is important to United. Also had a similar adapted version of Kathy's form letter (she's at uadisk).
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:19 am

Just want to add my support to all of you who are fighting to retain what I consider to be the best research tool in the industry.

I have e-mailed uadisk three times and gotten two boilerplate replies from someone named "Kathy." I was so teed off at the first that I researched a trip on United Connection, then booked it on aa.com. I will fly it on AA as well. I e-mailed Kathy to tell her that it made a powerless guy feel a little better.

As an ORD 1K, I am fortunate to have a second airline with a hub here. Bad customer service makes me conscious of that option.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Just 2 nights ago, I tried to book a trip on United.com and then with UA CNXN. Complete joke trying to get it to work on United.com... some flight options never even were shown!

I am preparing a 5 minute video showing the difference and will FEDEX copies to all UA officers and board members I can locate.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 10:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gabrielz:

The only power I have is to choose alternative airlines. And this year, after reaching 1K (which routings I will have booked by EOW), I will cease buying tickets on UA to show you, in my own little way, that I think you're making a mistake. The rest of my business for 2001 will go to the OneWorld Alliance carriers, and I'll probably come back to United next year (2002) - because you guys are generally a good airline. Consider this my statement on the topic.
</font>
Since it's obvious that UA doesn't give a crap about the concerns expressed by its most loyal customers about UACNX maybe we can send them this link
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=c&c=ual...s&l=on&z=m&q=l
just for the h_ell of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.