Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The demise of UA Connection software

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2001, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
This may grab their attention a little faster - Here is the contact information for the Investor Relations Department. FAX them your letters:

UAL Corporation
World Headquarters
P.O. Box 66100
Chicago, IL 60666
Ph: 847-700-4000
Fax: 847-700-2214
Old Jun 25, 2001, 7:56 pm

I got the note from Milobsky as well. I promptly replied to him,saying that United had actually done NOTHING to "ease my transition" to united.com.

Anyway, I also received an e-mail from Jane Costello, a WSJ reporter who is doing a column on this issue. I agreed to talk to her and provided some details about what I like about the software and by inference what I hate about united.com.

Trouble is, lead times being what they are, the article will probably appear AFTER July 20.
Old Jun 25, 2001, 8:33 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Wow -- we're up to 4 pages.

You know what's amazing -- I have talked to the folks in the Red Carpet Clubs, the airport CSRs, the 1K phone people -- and very few of them knew that UA was discontinuing the UC software. I guess United doesn't want to publicize the news
Old Jun 25, 2001, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called the customer service # today and voiced my opposition to a rep. She took down my name & MP# and said she will forward my comments.

Letters to follow tomorrow. Let's fight this one!
Old Jun 25, 2001, 8:59 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Well, I've fired off my email as well. What a bummer. You'd think that basically the only cost to them is maintaining the interface between the internet and their reservation system. Everything else is sunk cost--the software is built, internet access is cheap now as compared to when it first came out, etc.

Old Jun 25, 2001, 9:15 pm

Received the standard "canned" reply from Milobsky and provided him with some more insight on the shortcomings of this decision.
Also, thank you kokonutz for the site which I have also forwared to my lsit at ual in the hopes that they might come out of the darkness.
Let's keep up the pressure. There is still time left.

------------------
Old Jun 25, 2001, 9:21 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
The first United Connection Uplink-Information Bulletin appeared on UACNXN tonight...I think our most recent replies were taken directly from this text.

(Save your hard drive space and time and just read it...No need to download):

We’d like to thank you for your loyalty to United and your continued support of United Connection® software. Our goal is to provide you with the best travel planning tools and information – and we believe the best way is to focus on enhancing our web site, united.com.
That is why, effective July 20, 2001, we will be discontinuing the United Connection® software.

We realize this may not seem like good news to you. However, we have made great strides to improve the travel planning experience through our web site and encourage you to start making your travel plans on united.com to see the difference. If you are not familiar with our web site, here are a few of the benefits you will enjoy when planning travel on united.com:

· If you haven’t purchased a United ticket at united.com, you will earn at least 2,000 bonus miles the first time you purchase a United roundtrip ticket on united.com and fly through December 31, 2001

· Earn 1,000 bonus miles every time you book a flight on united.com through December 31, 2001

· Access to Internet-only discounted E-Fares®

· View your Mileage Plus Summary in real time – with up to two years of travel activity, whereas the disk only allowed you to view your last four segments

· Request an upgrade electronically

· Reserve flights using your award miles

· Purchase travel on 500 airlines, 45 car rental companies and 30,000 hotels around the world

· Benefit from the latest Mileage Plus information and special offers

We encourage you to take advantage of united.com today. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail our customer support center at [email protected]. Again, thank you for choosing United. We look forward to seeing you on board soon.
United Airlines
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:51 pm

I called Customer Service to deal with another issue on Friday to deal with another issue, and told the rep I also wanted to complain about the loss of UA Connection software....

His response was "Oh my God, you're the third person who I've talked to today about that... I'll pass it on"...

Maybe if enough Customer Service People hear from us, the message might get up the ladder eventually.....

KevinB
Old Jun 26, 2001, 12:41 am

Programs: No status anywhere :(
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail our customer support center at [email protected].</font>
Who actually answers email sent to mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>? I'm assuming it is some poor front line customer support schmuck somewhere who is left holding the bag by management, having to field a bunch of grumpy email complaining about yet another stoopid management decision that they had less than nothing to do with.

Has anyone (knowingly) had any success getting a message to someone who is actually a few levels up from entry-level customer service rep?

------------------
Jon Wright
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
Old Jun 26, 2001, 1:22 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by kokonutz:
Well, I invested the $35 and put up a quick and dirty sight at

http://saveunitedconnection.com ...
</font>
Thanks! Kokonutz, email me with your address and I'll chip in my 10 bucks.

Chuck

Old Jun 26, 2001, 1:52 am

Jane Costello (WSJ online) is interested. I received email from her. Hopefully some others have received it as well, as I'm not as passionate about the loss of this as the rest of you are, since I can't really use it for my company travels (I tried once, and insisited company travel take over the res, and it was quite the disaster, though I did get segment credit for that trip.)

kokonutz .. did you receive anything? Perhaps I should refer Jane to you.

-David
Old Jun 26, 2001, 8:58 am

Keep up the pressure.

Funnel all your anger with service cuts, rude front-line employees, etc. into this issue and prove to United that we here @ Flyertalk can make a difference!
Old Jun 26, 2001, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
I fired off an email to the whole list of names that's on page 2, and all I got was the form letter from David Milobsky. I replied with more specific points, so we'll see what happens.

I think I might have to make a phone call too.
Old Jun 26, 2001, 10:54 am

I sent an email to the uadisk@ual address on Sunday, and have not gotten even a canned reply. I forwarded the email to Goodwin, Milobsky, Studdert, et.al. this morning. We'll see if anything comes of it.
Old Jun 26, 2001, 11:01 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
No need to contribute! I've saved that $35 hundreds of times over using UC 3.0!!!

HOWEVER, if someone has the time/expertise to create and host an improved version of
http://saveunitedconnection.com/
then I'd be happy to let you contribute THAT!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.