Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The demise of UA Connection software

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2001, 9:10 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Now that the new FT is up and running, maybe if several more of us added to the thread in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum97/HTML/000435.html
we can get Randy's attention on this matter
Old Jul 11, 2001, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
I just got a letter (snail mail) from Scott Praven with the usual so sorry comments. It was not a form letter, but it also didn't address my concerns. I have to give Praven points in not sending a form letter and also
for even writing. For the last two weeks all I have only gotten back e-mails from "assistants". Yuck!

He offered that I could join an "advisory group of customers to help us stay on track as it relates to future web development."

OK, what's you guess is this a an effort to placate the 1K's or is this a serious offer?
I guess I'm asking, will they listen to anyting I, or others, say?

------------------
UA1K, m/m AA/DL,
Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Starwood Gld.
Old Jul 11, 2001, 7:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UA1kMFR:
I just got a letter (snail mail) from Scott Praven with the usual so sorry comments. It was not a form letter, but it also didn't address my concerns. I have to give Praven points in not sending a form letter and also for even writing. For the last two weeks all I have only gotten back e-mails from "assistants". Yuck!

He offered that I could join an "advisory group of customers to help us stay on track as it relates to future web development."

OK, what's you guess is this a an effort to placate the 1K's or is this a serious offer?
I guess I'm asking, will they listen to anyting I, or others, say?
</font>
I received, and accepted, the same offer in an e-mail reply from Milobsky last week. But I haven't heard anything further since then, so I'm beginning to doubt just how serious the offer actually is - I guess we'll just have to see.

Meanwhile, I've also received several more infuriatingly mindless canned messages from "Kathy" and her friends, one of which completely misrepresented my opposition to UA's decision. Nothing at all to indicate that they've budged even an inch. BUT KEEP UP THE PRESSURE UNTIL THE VERY LAST MINUTE, FOLKS - IT'S THE ONLY CHANCE WE'VE GOT.

[This message has been edited by Airdog (edited 07-11-2001).]
Old Jul 12, 2001, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Despite all of the form letters I'm getting back from UA in response to my concerns about the loss of United Connection, united.com still won't do what I want. I found a $245 fare RNO-ORD-RNO without a Saturday night stay. I wanted three segments in each direction. I booked it on United Connection to be sure the fare did not disappear. Then I called 1K to request a confirmed upgrade. Two of the legs were not available, so I was waitlisted for those upgrades. The problem is, after July 20, I won't be able to see this itinerary on line, so I will have to keep calling 1K to see if the upgrades cleared. When I tried to book the same itinerary on united.com, there was no way. First, it only offered two-segment options in each direction. Second, when I tried to book the trip leg by leg, it wouldn't accept the three return legs because there wasn't 60 minutes between any of them. I hope Randy's lack of response to our pleas for help in his forum means that he's working feverishly behind the scenes to preserve United Connection and doesn't want to tip his hand before negotiation are complete.

------------------
Biggest Little 1K (in The Biggest Little City) In The World
Old Jul 13, 2001, 8:29 am
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
So, any chance UA will reverse itself in the last week of UA Connection availability? I think it's looking bleak!
Old Jul 13, 2001, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
Well, I and another UA person in the AA chat last night tried to ask Randy if he'd intervene on this during the after-AA chat session. It seemed to me he was ignoring the question (I asked it a couple times), which does not bode well.

------------------
Regards,
- Anna
Old Jul 13, 2001, 10:31 am

GET BUSY! WRITE LETTERS!

If we raise enough havoc as 1Ks, they might just delay the horrible decision to nuke UConnection. UAL.com is a pathetic way to try and look at itineraires and seats. Write two letters today!

Graham Atkinson
Senior Vice President, Marketing
United Airlines
P.O. Box 66100
Chicago, IL 60666

James Goodwin
Chief Executive Officer
United Airlines
P.O. Box 60666
Chicago, IL 60666
Old Jul 13, 2001, 10:39 am

GET BUSY! WRITE LETTERS!

If we raise enough havoc as 1Ks, they might just delay the horrible decision to nuke UConnection. UAL.com is a pathetic way to try and look at itineraires and seats. Write two letters today!

Graham Atkinson
Senior Vice President, Marketing
United Airlines
P.O. Box 66100
Chicago, IL 60666

James Goodwin
Chief Executive Officer
United Airlines
P.O. Box 60666
Chicago, IL 60666
Old Jul 13, 2001, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems funny to me that United would see the benefit of having it's Timetable stored as software on your computer, yet not see the benefit of having an all inclusive booking engine, Mileage Plus system, news updates, etc. on right on your PC as well.

I mean, United's Electronic System Timetable is a PC stored application that just uses a web connection to update. Right? And they just recently released that!

IMHO, United Connection Software was and is years ahead of it's time, and is still where the future should be.

The web and web loaded Java applications are just too slow loading for complex functions and programs.

I would recommend United keep United Connection, and improve and expand upon it (including upgrades, Mileage Plus, and even incorporate the Electronic Timetable into it).

Dump the expensive dail-up network and just offer connection through the customer's ISP.
Old Jul 13, 2001, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Welcome back premex!
Old Jul 13, 2001, 12:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Yes, WELCOME BACK PremEx!
Old Jul 13, 2001, 1:47 pm

The timetable is maintained and supported by an outside vendor (it's the same software used by CO and AA). I understand that Connection *was* supported internally by UA.

------------------
Who is John Galt?
------------------
Old Jul 13, 2001, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
I happened to notice on another posting that PremEx made a surprise appearance, and wondered if anyone else noticed.

Welcome back - I hope you stay a while.

Greg
Old Jul 13, 2001, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFO 1K:
I am preparing a 5 minute video showing the difference and will FEDEX copies to all UA officers and board members I can locate.</font>
Great approach, SFO 1K. This HAS to get their attention. Thanks a lot for your work!
Old Jul 13, 2001, 10:55 pm

Just logged in to my favorite travel booking software (UACNXN). When I tried to pull up a couple of itineraries, it bombed out and told me to call customer support. Hope that's not a sign they're pulling the plug early!!!

I love the video idea.

Where is Randy when we need him??????????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.