The demise of UA Connection software

Old Jul 2, 2001, 5:23 pm

The resources no longer available argument isn't very persuasive. Where did they go? What does UAL consider more important than UACXN? Just curious.

Also, if it happens that the resources left the company, then why not post for the positions as they are doing for their Bizjet business. (following courtesy of Hotjobs.com)

Join our team as an application development engineer/project leader for web related infrastructure. Ensure that system and package integration are successfully and efficiently implemented. Create complex prototypes. Code, test, debug, document and implement complex software application components and interfaces. The successful candidate would be responsible for providing specialized technical knowledge on complex projects and is viewed as a technical expert in application development, web and middleware technologies. In addition, acts as a source of direction, training and guidance for less experienced staff. The ideal candidate for this position contributes to United BizJet strategic technical vision and integrates a broad range of technical perspectives to application development and/or operations research. Recognized across the organization for applications development expertise and sought as a resource for resolution of unique or complex problems. Undertakes the most complex applications and research projects involving multiple disciplines and impacting multiple business units. A broad mastery of all aspects of technology and software development and/or operations research is a must. Top expert and recognized as a guru in technical or functional area with at least 10 years in utilization of knowledge and skills on large scale software development efforts. Demonstrated technical leadership in implementation of very complex technical efforts. Requires BS Degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Operations Research, or related field. Masters or Doctorate highly desired.

------------------
Who is John Galt?
------------------
Old Jul 2, 2001, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by 767-322ETOPS:
The resources no longer available argument isn't very persuasive. Where did they go? What does UAL consider more important than UACXN? Just curious.</font>
Maybe we can hire a hacker to take the best of United Connection and slip it into united.com while the IT folks are dozing.

------------------
Biggest Little 1K (in The Biggest Little City) In The World
Old Jul 3, 2001, 1:32 am

I am one of the many who saw the article in the WSJ on your decision to terminate United Connection. I can understand this decision but agree with others that it is premature. I have used the software for years and am Premier Executive. I book flights on UC for my family and coworkers and find it to be far more robust in terms of researching fares, and doing tricks such as open jaw itineraries. The website is slow and far less flexible in terms of ability to pick from various flights and make changes on the fly and see how the fares evolve. I keep my itineraries on file on my own computer, and enjoy the simplicity of the software. And the speed of UC on my high speed connection is wonderful. I don't dial-up, but rather use a TCP-IP connection. And at least to date on the web I have not found the ability to book a flight and pick the ticket up at a United Desk, which is necessary from time to time, especially when I am redeeming a coupon like the ones received for botched service in the past! The web has virtues including ability to see the entire Mileage Plus history, and hopefully over time the shortcomings will be eliminated.

You may be shooting yourself in the foot in terms of lost revenue. When I booked on UC, I assume that the commissions went to you directly and fully. There are many online options for booking travel that I can turn to for my United Flights that I will consider, including Expedia, Sidestep and others. And when I book with UC, you don't have to hire expensive agents to help me with my travel plans.

Having a great website is an obvious prerequisite to eliminating United Connection. But timing is everything. Since I assume you have your systems in place, the same database is accessed, and your costs are behind you, what is the harm in continuing with UC. or perhaps replicating the interface as an option - or at least the desirable features - on your site. We are not Luddites who are writing. Rather we represent the early adapters who are practical in our prudent views on technology, and also happen to be very loyal to United. I don't envy your challenges but you might want to think this one through a bit more. Thanks for your consideration.

Brian L. Grant, MD
President and Medical Director
Medical Consultants Network, Inc.
1200 6th Avenue, Suite 1800
Seattle, WA 98101

phone: 206.4473449 fax: 206.2871908
[email protected]
www.mcn.com

join our mailing list at http://MCNtalk.listbot.com

"Medical Judgment: Nationwide"
Old Jul 3, 2001, 4:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond

I think someone at United must be staying up at night thinking of new ways to destroy their business.

Before discontinuing one product most businesses make sure the replacement is at least as good as the one being discontinued. Unfortunely United does not think this is necessary.
Old Jul 3, 2001, 6:07 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/006920.html
Old Jul 3, 2001, 7:46 am
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
WSJ reports UA as saying there are only 9600 UACXN users. Anyone know if this is correct? Seems a very small number, and makes me think we have no hope in keeping UACXN alive...

Old Jul 3, 2001, 7:56 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
(Edited because I just saw the below post)

Welcome aboard, Dr. Brian Grant.

[This message has been edited by MBS PremExec (edited 07-03-2001).]
Old Jul 3, 2001, 8:12 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
The link posted above ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/006920.html ) contains the full text of the WSJ story.

Hope this helps.

Old Jul 3, 2001, 8:20 am

I just also read the WSJ article today about the CXN demise. I got my letter over the weekend and I am pretty angry with UAL about this. I have been a loyal and frequent flyer with UAL and have gone through some pretty rough times and trips with them. I really think this decision is a poor one but am not encouraged that they will change it.

It reminds me of the time when I asked about why as a 1K, I was not asked about my meal preference. The flight attendant's curt reply was "Well, it is not an FAA regulation to ask you first". Just one of the many stories from the tin tube world.....

I am posting the text of the story. I am not sure if I can post the story in HTML form or not.

I will send my letters of dismay and request that UAL keep the Connection and I hope it will stay around. I hope many others will do the same.

Take care
WSJ Article
============================================
July 2, 2001

United Flier Goes the Extra Mile
To Save Reservations Software
By JANE COSTELLO
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL ONLINE

Matt Wald is the kind of customer that airlines should love.

The Falls Church, Va., resident is a frequent flier and buys many of his tickets directly from United Airlines via computer, allowing the carrier to keep sales and distribution costs low.

The only problem for United is that Mr. Wald uses United Connection, the dial-up reservation software that was a pre-cursor to United's Web site (www.united.com). And he's not alone; the system has 9,500 users.

But on July 20, the airline plans pull the plug on the United Connection users, forcing them to move their business online and share booking capabilities with registered users of United.com.

Not all of the Connection customers want to go, though. They say the dial-up system is fast, reliable and offers features not found on United's Web site. In an attempt to reach out to other users, Mr. Wald has set up a Web site, www.saveunitedconnection.com, to encourage people to write to United to express their displeasure about the airline's decision to stop supporting the software.

Mr. Wald says that he doesn't expect to be able to save United Connection, but he's hoping that if enough people contact United, airline officials might change their mind -- or improve the online product.

"I think the level of passion you see is also at least partly due to the fact that United has been cutting service and corners for about eight months now, and with this cut they are cutting beyond the fat and into muscle," he says. "Cutting chocolates, linens and hot towels are one thing. But forcing us to downgrade how we interface on a daily basis with the company is another thing altogether."

When United.com launched its reservation service in 1997, officials at the airline pledged to continue to support the software "until the content of the Web site becomes superior."

According to United, the time is now.

"We've reached that point," says United spokesman Chris Brathwaite, who points to the fact that United.com now has more than four million users, with first-quarter revenues up 42% from 2000. As part of the online transition, United has set up an e-mail account, [email protected], to facilitate communication with customers who remained doggedly faithful to the software.

"Connection users are some of our very best customers; the last thing we want to do is to alienate them," says Mr. Brathwaite, who says the airline will look closely at the comments and suggestions received as part of its ongoing efforts to enhance United.com.

Even though the Connection is soon to be severed, some customers maintain that the software is superior. The vast majority of United passengers dutifully switched their allegiance to the online service, but this core group of frequent fliers still preferred to dial in rather than log on to make flight reservations.

"What I like about United Connection is the speed," says Steve Helgens, an elite-level United passenger from Edina, Minn. "I can view dozens of flight possibilities in a minute that would take much, much longer on United.com."

Aficionados of the software also maintain that while it still has a few pre- Y2K kinks -- United hasn't upgraded the software since 1998 -- it has a number of customer-service features that are lacking online. Connection users are already waxing nostalgic about the impending loss of "SuperShop," the ability to conduct a fare search over a number of days, and user-friendly seat maps that pictured all classes of service. The software's ability to develop multiple profiles allowed passengers to easily book travel for friends and family.

Perhaps the feature that Connection customers say they will miss the most is the option to hold reservations for up to 24 hours before ticketing.

Officials at the airline are keenly aware of the depth of loyalty inspired by its soon to be ditched disk, and are taking steps to improve United.com's functionality.

Adding the 24-hour hold for a reservation to united.com is "a high priority for us," Mr. Brathwaite says. Moreover, the airline is well aware of the other popular features, and is working to make sure that the needs of United Connection customers are given top priority.

"It's a bittersweet thing, the fact that people were so fond of the product," he says. "But we'd rather put the time and effort into improving the site rather than having to keep up with different iterations of [Microsoft] Windows."
Old Jul 3, 2001, 8:31 am

If this has not already been done, can the moderators of this board send all these messages to the list of UAL folks. I would do a daily send!

They may be windmills but lets keep tilting!
Old Jul 3, 2001, 9:15 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You may have to send something off yourself, no?

www.saveunitedconnection.com
Old Jul 3, 2001, 11:43 am

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
The PR reply from United is another slap in our face. "Is high on our priority list". Please that is PR spin for "just get these people off our back and let us move on."

Let us not let United forget about this afront. Again, does anyone (I know there are some UA staffers on this board) have access to the UA internal phone book so that we can not only e-mail but also telephone.

------------------
UA1K, m/m AA/DL,
Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Starwood Gld.
Old Jul 3, 2001, 1:29 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by doc:
[B]You may have to send something off yourself, no?

I am sending my letters off to the usual suspects but was just suggesting the entire string of notes here would also be good testimony to the passion to keep the Connection
Old Jul 3, 2001, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I like UC, but (being in the software business), I wonder if UA even has the ability to support this program, anymore.

It hasn't been updated in a long time. The original programmers might have left, and (as sometime happens in the SW business) the documentation left behind might not make it easy for a new engineer to understand what is there.

On top of that, it normally takes a lot of people and time to support all the versions of Windows out there (including XP). Doing it with web software at least gets around a lot of the platform isssues.

[This message has been edited by opus17 (edited 07-03-2001).]
Old Jul 3, 2001, 8:24 pm

Opus-
Your points are valid, but United has not done anything to remotely match the actual booking capabilities of the web product to what UA Connection has. At my company, we have a product which hasn't been enhanced in years as well. It is a DOS based information reporting service. It's sunset will occur in about 2 years. It's trouble free, we're surprised that more customers haven't converted to more updated,feature laded options. It will be killed because of the resource requirements to support it for testing and customer service BUT it will only go away after SIGNIFICANT improvements are availbable on other platforms including the web.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.