Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Let's Eat! - 2009 First Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's Eat! - 2009 First Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by blueone
This dinner selection sounds a notch up from the 2-class F selections I've been getting these days. My North American transcon lunch meals have consisted of only cold entrees; a choice of salad or sandwich sub, accompanied with soup and a cookie.

I have yet to experience dinner; could this explain the difference?
Ditto - for SFO>ORD in 767-300 2class, that is. On Thursday, it was like a Cobb salad with shrimp, but only Ranch dressing (no other choice), or a cold turkey sandwich (refrigerator cold temparature). Tomato soup (really very good). The sandwich lacks a roll for the soup but includes butter, whereas the salad includes a roll with butter.

I was impressed that not only were the nuts warm, but the ramekin itself was hot!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MileageAddict

Date: Thursday, February 19
Flight: UA919
Route: IAD-SAN
Aircraft: 757-200
Meal: Dinner
Predeparture: OJ/H2O
Nuts: very warm, full ramekin

Mixed green salad with apple slices and pistachios accompanied by Asian Sesame dressing.

Baked chicken with brown gravy, seasoned baked potato wedges, green beans and carrots.

Whole grain dinner roll.

Chocolate cherry cake on dinner tray for dessert.

The other option was stuffed shells with tomato sauce. HOt towel service after nuts, prior to meal. Why won't UA offer the hot towels before nuts or prior to landing?
Nearly identical meal, including enhanced salad, on IAD-MEX on 14 Feb (A320 dinner flight).

Originally Posted by blueone
This dinner selection sounds a notch up from the 2-class F selections I've been getting these days. My North American transcon lunch meals have consisted of only cold entrees; a choice of salad or sandwich sub, accompanied with soup and a cookie.

I have yet to experience dinner; could this explain the difference?
Transcon lunches in F have been cold lately, although they are often served with soup.

I find a two-hour flight in the evening in F has better food than a transcon lunch flight.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
27 February 2009
UA0924 LAX-IAD
B767-300
Lunch

Pre-departure beverage of choice offered in a plastic cup.

After departure, beverage of choice in a glass along with warm nuts

Then, lunch orders taken.
Choice of:
Turkey Sandwich or Shrimp Cobb Salad

Hot towel service.

Meals served on a tray with linens.

Both meals came with Minestrone soup.

Shrimp Cobb Salad:
Didn't get a close look at it, but it seems like the standard garlic sauteed shrimp over a bed of greens with boiled egg, bacon crumbles, and cubes of cheese. Served with a roll.

Turkey Sandwich
Turkey, cucumber, sun-dried tomato, white cheese (provolone?), and lettuce on an asiaigo cheese roll. Served with a side of red globe grapes (on the vine) and some sort of mustard-seed and mayo spread.

The sandwich (as usual) was delicious. The soup was (as usual) delicious. And, I thought the two went well together. I found the meal to be filling (but I was not terribly hungry).

About an hour before arrival, a warm chocolate chip cookie was served.

Channel 9: On ^
Block Time: 4 hours, 44 minutes
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:27 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Peanuts now in the warm nuts???

I have had 5 FC domestic flights this week ranging from 862 to 3365 mi. On the shortest, no warm nuts! Just the gold package pretzels and nuts. But really surprisingly on the last leg, DEN - EWR the warm nuts mix contained peanuts!!! I always thought UA was very classy by not including them in the mix, they're my least favorite and my nutionalist sis-in-law says the least healthy nut you can find. Anyone else experience this? And such a crazy time to do this with The Peanut Corporation of America in the news everyday and reporters saying you will be surprised where these peanuts are showing up.

Let us hope and pray that this was a one-time catering error. But let's also compare notes going forward to see if UA has substituted a cheaper nut into the mix.

Last edited by uanj; Mar 1, 2009 at 12:14 pm Reason: sp
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I haven't seen peanuts in the mix in years. Mac nuts, yes, peanuts, no.

I should be seeing some warm nuts on Monday. I'll double check for peanuts.

Which station were your nuts catered from?
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
ZRH-IAD UA 947 February 2009

appetizers

Grilled scallop and prawn skewer
Feta cheese filled potato cup
Tomato concassé

soup
Creamy potato leek soup

salad
Fresh seasonal greens with cherry tomatoes, julienne carrots,
yellow peppers and croutons
Served with your choice of dressing:
Creamy Peppercorn Balsamic Vinaigrette

main course
Grilled filet mignon with roasted garlic demi-glace
Lyonnaise potatoes and glazed carrots with parsley

Filet of oven-roasted cod with honey ginger sauce
Herbed rice pilaf and creamed spinach

Swiss veal stew “marengo” with mushroom, tomato and parsley
Pan-fried polenta and haricots vert

Spinach linguini with Barolo wine infused pears
and a creamy gorgonzola sauce

dessert

Häagen-Dazs. Ice cream with sundae toppings: hot fudge, caramel,
summer berry compote, sliced roasted almonds, whipped cream

Cheese selection served with red grapes and crackers
Tilsiter – semi-soft with little irregular holes, a warm mellow flavor
and a light tan edible rind
Swiss Camembert – white downy rind with a very soft
and smooth creamy texture
Tête de Moine – straw colored, hard, it is unusually aromatic
with a sweet delicate taste

Assorted fine chocolates

lunch
Chilled deli plate with Emmenthal cheese
Hot smoked lemon salmon, Kassler and mountain farmer ham

or

Stir-fried chicken with oyster sauce
Mixed Chinese vegetables and jasmine rice

Today’s menu features beef from South America

featured wines

Champagne
De Castelnau 1998 Champagne
A very dramatic and showy nose with roasted fruits and nuts is far more delicate
and balanced in the mouth. “Stylish” is the a word that probably seems silly to some
people, but I can’t think of a better word to describe this.

Henriot Cuvée des Enchanteleurs 1999 Champagne
Top Champagne, often called Cuvée de Prestige, exists at a different level
than ordinary Champagne. The best of these (consider this one of them)
show richness of fruit as well as intensity of earth and yeastiness in a very long finish.

White Wine
Jolivet Château du Nozay 2006 Sancerre (Sauvignon Blanc)
2006 is another in a line of fine vintages for Sauvignon Blanc in northern France.
The wines are wonderfully fruity, bone dry, rich without heaviness and perfect
for a wide variety of foods.

Henry Pellé La Croix au Garde 2006 Sancerre (Sauvignon Blanc)
Beneath Sancerre’s vines are chalky soils that add complexity, earthiness
and longevity to the wines those grapevines help to produce, and Pelleé’s Sancerre
has all that plus fruitiness and richness.

Laetitia Chardonnay 2006 Arroyo Grande
California’s forte is spicy, rush and buttery Chardonnay, but while Laetitia is a reliable
producer of that style, their Chardonnay is also thirst quenching and crisp.

Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay 2006 Sonoma Coast
Sonoma Cutrer has for twenty years been America’s dominant restaurant brand
of Chardonnay; its understated style of refreshing crispness explains its success
among chefs and restaurateurs.

Red Wine
Chateau Les Ormes de Pez 2004 St. Estèphe (Cabernet Blend)
Bordeaux is the very emblem of elegant red wine, and finesse is its hallmark.
Ormes de Pez is usually included among the lists of important estates
of Bordeaux, and the vintage 2004 is more classic in style than the more highly
touted 2003 and 2005 vintages.

Champy Beaune Vielles Vignes 2006 Burgundy (Pinot Noir)
Champy is a venerable Burgundian producer in a region of venerated producers with centuries long histories. Champy’s old vines Pinot Noir us delicate but lengthy; that’s
the character that old vines (“Vielles Vignes” in French) bring.

Trellis Climbing Shiraz 2005 Orange
Phillip Shaw, Trellis’ winemaker, virtually invented modern Australian Shiraz. The Trellis brand is his cooler, high altitude project in New South Wales, and again he has
redefined Aussie Shiraz. This time it’s a cooler, more balanced version of the grape.

Benziger Vineyard Merlot 2005 Sonoma
One of California’s most popular grapes, Merlot has a reputation for softness but there
are powerful versions as well. This may start soft and friendly, with blueberries and
chocolate, but the flavors and power seem to grow and the finish goes on and on.

Beverages
Apéritifs, cocktails, spirits, liqueurs and beer
Graham’s Late Bottled Porto will be offered during the main meal’s dessert.

Starbucks coffee will be available throughout the flight.

The soup was good. Everything else was … meh. I had the filet. (Note to self: since I never order steak in Europe, don’t order it on airplanes from Europe.) I should have tried the cod.

In general, I find UA’s appetizers to be usually quite good, although the combinations strike me as odd. The scallop and shrimp were quite bland and the feta cheese potato cup just not work for me.

Champagne served was the De Castelnau. Not crazy about it, so would have preferred the Henriot. (I’ve had that in the 1995 and it was very good. Still, its worth trying out new things.)

They did not have any of the reds listed, but instead had the excellent 2005 Chanteauneuf-du-Pape that I have had previously (can’t recall the name.). Unfortunately, it was served way too cold. (The temperature of the entire cabin seemed to be just above freezing at boarding time.)

The port is new and is less sweet than Sandeman’s. (I think that was the brand used previously.)

Lindt chocolates were served, then the box was left on the counter for self-serve.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
I haven't seen peanuts in the mix in years. Mac nuts, yes, peanuts, no.

I should be seeing some warm nuts on Monday. I'll double check for peanuts.

Which station were your nuts catered from?
DEN
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Flight/Route: UA532/DEN-ORD
Aircraft/Seat: 757-200/6A
Departure Time/Duration: 6:00 a.m./2:20
Meal: Breakfast

A very early departure but the friendly crew got coffee (served in crew cups) flowing and food in front of us pronto. Breakfast was a choice of a cheese omelet

or a fruit plate. The eggs were stuffed with mild, soft cheese with a few chives. Two rather shriveled sausages, plus roasted potato wedges (with rosemary, it tasted to me) were on the plate. The tray also had a small bowl of red grapes, pineapple and orange slices. The bread basket (croissants or cinnamon rolls), Grassland butter, Dickinson's orange marmalade and a salt/pepper packet rounded out the meal.

Drinks were kept topped up throughout the flight, which arrived early.

Last edited by Kurt; Nov 9, 2009 at 7:14 am
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:00 pm

Flight/Route: UA714/SFO-DEN
Aircraft/Seat: 767-300/4B
Departure Time/Duration: 10:39 a.m./2:29
Meal: Lunch

I was a little bleary-eyed from my SIN-HKG-SFO flight, but the crew really hustled to provide a nice lunch service (and a live safety demo after the video version failed three times in a row) to the large, full cabin.

Hot nuts were followed by a choice of a chopped turkey salad

or a pastrami sandwich (served hot). The salad was composed of greens, turkey chunks, tomato wedges, red cabbage, black olives, walnut pieces and ( for me) garbanzo beans). Two containers of Naturally Fresh ranch dressing, a warm, wheat roll/Grassland butter and a warm, chocolate chip cookie completed the tray. I enjoyed a couple of glasses of (DeBartoli?) red wine and chatted with my seatmate before an on-time arrival in Denver.

Last edited by Kurt; Nov 9, 2009 at 7:12 am
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:07 pm

SEA Nut Data Point

From SEA-DEN last night (Feb. 28) we were served very hot nuts

with 1) almonds, 2) macadamias, 3) cashews, and 4) walnuts. No peanuts in sight!

Originally Posted by uanj
I have had 5 FC domestic flights this week ranging from 862 to 3365 mi. On the shortest, no warm nuts! Just the gold package pretzels and nuts. But really surprisingly on the last leg, DEN - EWR the warm nuts mix contained peanuts!!! I always thought UA was very classy by not including them in the mix, they're my least favorite and my nutionalist sis-in-law says the least healthy nut you can find. Anyone else experience this? And such a crazy time to do this with The Peanut Corporation of America in the news everyday and reporters saying you will be surprised where these peanuts are showing up.

Let us hope and pray that this was a one-time catering error. But let's also compare notes going forward to see if UA has substituted a cheaper nut into the mix.

Last edited by Kurt; Nov 9, 2009 at 7:13 am
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:55 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
SFO - SEA 11:30 am

No food was served - not even gold bag of nuts. The FAs were prompt in refilling the drinks, but no food to absorb the alcohol.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by uanj

I very carefully examined each of the (nicely warmed) warm nuts on yesterday's flight (catered out of LAX). No peanuts. That doesn't surprise me, as I haven't seen any peanuts on a UA flight in years. Given the allergies that some have to peanuts, and the current "scandal" in processed peanut industry, it would have surprised me greatly to see any.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
2/28 I had 2 flights in F. BDL-ORD and ORD-SNA. BDL-ORD departed at 1130am and ORD-SNA was 335pm. Both were listed as lunch on .bomb.

Choices for the 2 flights were exactly the same. Cold Salmon Salad or Warm Turkey Sandwich. I chose the Sandwich both times and it was served with some kinda couscous (sp?) or something similar on the side - not sure what it is but it tasted good. Warm Nuts were served on both flights to start and a warm Chocalate Chip Cookie was served.

The ORD-BDL FA was awesome. She brought out the cookies and gave us our choice (on a very nicely presented tray) of Starbucks Dark or Light Liquor or Scotch or milk with it. Very nicely done. I guess that is the difference in the attention that one gets in F on a 319 vs 757.

I'm just curious why both the flights had exactly the same choices. Don't people often take two meal flights connecting in ORD/DEN?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
2/28 I had 2 flights in F. BDL-ORD and ORD-SNA. BDL-ORD departed at 1130am and ORD-SNA was 335pm. Both were listed as lunch on .bomb.

Choices for the 2 flights were exactly the same. Cold Salmon Salad or Warm Turkey Sandwich. I chose the Sandwich both times and it was served with some kinda couscous (sp?) or something similar on the side - not sure what it is but it tasted good. Warm Nuts were served on both flights to start and a warm Chocalate Chip Cookie was served.

The ORD-BDL FA was awesome. She brought out the cookies and gave us our choice (on a very nicely presented tray) of Starbucks Dark or Light Liquor or Scotch or milk with it. Very nicely done. I guess that is the difference in the attention that one gets in F on a 319 vs 757.

I'm just curious why both the flights had exactly the same choices. Don't people often take two meal flights connecting in ORD/DEN?
It sounds like United does not provision the soup on mid-con lunch flights that depart during the late afternoon (2-4 PM vs. 10-1PM).
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:43 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by trekwars2000

Choices for the 2 flights were exactly the same. Cold Salmon Salad or Warm Turkey Sandwich.

I haven't had the salmon salad for a while now. In my opinion, it's the best salad UA offers. The grilled shrimp salad takes second place.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 3, 2009 at 1:53 pm Reason: fix html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.