Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Let's Eat! - 2009 First Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's Eat! - 2009 First Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
DEN - YVR F Dinner (UA281, May 10)

This was my first domestic F dinner flight that had no meal choice available whatsoever. The only thing available was "stuffed shells", pasta shells with some kind of chesse filling and tomato sauce. The taste was OK, but like all precooked pasta, it turned out to be way overcooked. I like my pasta "al dente". No salad greens, some cake as dessert.

Is it normal for a dinner flight to have no meal choices or was this a catering mistake?
Old May 11, 2009, 11:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Today UA 177 lunch BOS-SFO

Warm nuts
Minestrone
Turkey on asiago roll or shrimp Cobb salad
Chocolate chip cookie
Old May 11, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA IK, HGP Diamond, AA, KF, Hhonnors Gold, Carlson Gold, PC Plat, Accor Gold
ICN - SFO F class Meal?

Does any know what will be the menu for ICN SFO UA F class will be in June or anything in the past will help me to understand on what they offer on this route?

Thanks
Old May 11, 2009, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
09 May 09

SFO-DEN, UA 894 (8:30a departure)

Cheese Omelet with ham, sausage, croissant, and fruit on the side (grapes, pineapple only)

-or-

Fruit plate with yogurt

DEN-BOS, UA 991 (12:37p departure)

Chicken salad

-or-

Roast beef sandwich

both served with delicious tomato soup and warm bread.

No dessert served!
Old May 12, 2009, 3:11 am

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
May 9 - Adventures in F

Date traveled: 9 May 2009. 0835 departure.
Flight Number: 445 (BWI-DEN).
Aircraft Type: B757
Seat:2A
Class of Service: F (Domestic)
Mealtime: Breakfast

Choice of water or OJ pre-departure. I think someone asked for and got booze, but don't hold me to it.

After take-off, beverage of choice. I stuck with OJ.

Breakfast choices were a spinach & artichoke omelet with sausages & potatoes or a fruit plate.

Even though I absolutely detest artichokes, experience has taught me to go with the omelet so I did.

The omelet still came with a small plate of fruit, while the fruit plate option came with yogurt. Both came with muffins or croissant.

Meals came with metal fork and knife, wrapped in cloth napkin with a button-hole. The tray-table linen also had a button-hole on it so I was happy.

We had chop most of the way out and the seatbelt sign kept flashing on & off, but the FAs did an excellent job of keeping the water, OJ, coffee, and etc flowing throughout the flight.

Ch 9 was off.

140 knot headwinds slowed us down and put us on the ground with less than 30 minutes to spare Then we held short because our gate wasn't clear. After 10 minutes we got a different gate and moved to it. I had to run to make my connecting flight.

Date traveled: 9 May 2009
Flight Number: 43 (DEN-HNL) Yes, I love this flight
Aircraft Type: B767
Seat: 1J
Class of Service: F (Domestic)
Mealtime: Lunch

Choice of water or OJ pre-departure. I had sprinted from the other end of the B concourse, so I picked water.

We pushed back on time at about 1140. Then we waited. And waited.

After about 10 minutes, the pilot came on board and announced that he had felt some "resistance" in the flight controls that he wasn't comfortable with and that we were headed back to the gate for maintenance to look at it.

I happened to be talking with the FAs near the F lavs while the mechanic worked on the flight controls, and I watched the captain and the mechanic leave.
I saw the captain's expression as he went by so I asked him if that was a happy face and he gave me a terse "no". Which told me we were gonna be grounded for a while.

After 4 hours they decided that our plane was well and truly broke, so they hauled it off to the hangar and got us a new one

Throughout it all, the GA and CSR kept us abreast of developments and maintained a positive, helpful attitude. ^^

Once aboard and pushed back, they opted not to redo the safety brief or the pre-departure beverages. I was fine with that.

After take-off, beverage of choice and warm nuts.

Lunch choices were a teriyaki chicken with rice & veggies or pasta shells. I went with the chicken.

Hot towels beforehand.

Meals came with 2 metal forks and a knife, wrapped in cloth napkin with a button-hole. The tray-table linen also had a button-hole on it so I was happy.

They only had one type of roll (sourdough I think, but don't quote me).

Each tray came with a tired little salad with a tub of asian ginger dressing (I think those dessicated little white strips are apples, but I've never had the courage to try them or to ask )

This is a far cry from the hearts of palm salads with javanese dressing UA used to have on this flight.

Chicken was OK, nothing to write home about. Don't know about the pasta. Dessert was an uninspired brownie on the dinner tray, which is a far cry from the ice cream cart they used to have . I know others have commented on it, but I really think UA made a mistake taking those things away.

The FAs did an excellent job of keeping the water, OJ, booze, coffee, and etc flowing throughout the flight. Mai Tai mix was on hand so that was something ^

No Halfway to Hawaii game anymore.

About an hour out, we got a fruit plate with some cheese wedges.

Ch9 on until feet wet over LA (are you listening Ripper? ) and then on again for approach and landing.

So I had a 4+ hour delay, but overall, I'd rather be late than dead, so I think the pilot made the right call and I'm glad he did.

This flight proved to me that once again it is UA's front line folks that are their greatest asset and that in these times of shrinking elite bennies, UA's people are the main reason I still fly UA. ^
Old May 12, 2009, 12:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
UA 524 ORD-BOS 5/12 breakfast

fruit plate or "scrambled eggs" -

rubbery lukewarm yellow yucka rolled around Velveetoid cheese
and a few dice of red and green pepper; ?turkey (anyhow tasteless)
sausage; hamish substance; three tater pucks. Greasy but
tasteless croissant. Decent fruit appetizer - 1 slice okay pineapple,
1 slice somewhat desiccated though ripe watermelon; about 10
grapes.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
UA475 - SEA-SFO (5/9) - Snack

Not sure if this has been posted/reported, but there was a surprise for me on this 678-mile flight: A small plate (saucer sized) with two pieces of cheese, a pack of crackers and some grapes. A real snack! In the past I've had only the Gold Bag mix on this flight...it was nice to have a real something on china. ^

OTOH, the PDB was a fiasco. The FAs were chatting and laughing about inane things during the entire boarding process, "remembering" to offer PDBs when they noticed a colleague in 1D. It was so late in the game, though, that there wasn't time to offer any to those of us in Row 2. So we watched the people in front of us get served, then had to wait 20 minutes for ours. I mean, what ever happened to everyone or no one? The annoying thing was that I was really thirsty.
Old May 18, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
UA 241 ORD-DEN A320 5/18/2009 1:20PM departure

Pre-Departure Water or OJ

Meal requests first and second choice taken before departure
Drink orders taken in flight

Choice of Warm Turkey and Cheddar cheese sandwich with some weird couscous type salad or shrimp salad with a roll.

No towels, hot or otherwise

Drink, Warm Nuts, entree, cookie, served all at once on the tray.
I was skeptical of this but received a full can of tonic and 2 bottles of Gin so ok so far.
FA's offered refills and generally good service so maybe the all on one tray thing was in expectation of turbulence which did not occur or some other local custom.

There were 4 FA's working the flight which is unusual for an A320. 2 in 1st, 2 in back
Old May 18, 2009, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by as219
Not sure if this has been posted/reported, but there was a surprise for me on this 678-mile flight: A small plate (saucer sized) with two pieces of cheese, a pack of crackers and some grapes. A real snack! In the past I've had only the Gold Bag mix on this flight...it was nice to have a real something on china. ^
This has been posted since last year. UA does this on routes where it competes with Alaska's F service.
Old May 18, 2009, 6:24 pm
CMV

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
5/17: Ua #663 dca-den

Dinner in F: warm nuts, followed by choice of cheese torellini or "Tuscan" chicken, which meant chicken with cheesey rice, overcooked spinach and a tomato. the pasta included both a red and a white sauce. chicken was served with a samll bowl of salad greens and some sort of cake with frosting -- the latter was not good. rolls were offered about halfway through dinner -- no choice, just white.
Old May 23, 2009, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA S
UA 770 SFO-DEN on a 757 5/23/09, full in F

PDB of choice seemed to be offered. I went with OJ, but they were taking orders and going back to the galley. Thought I saw something fizzy ^

Hot Nuts in Ramekin, refills were given when asked ^
Hot towels after ^
Addressed by name, for those who take that seriously
Choice of salmon salad with a roll or warm turkey/cheese sandwich with wierd couscous-like side (same as above)
I went with the sandwich, which was very average and somewhat greasy, though quite filling. Seatmate went with salad, which looked decent (Im not a salmon fan so I passed).
warm cookie served separately after with a glass of milk on my request

I got at least 4-5 drink refills (non-alcoholic, dont worry) without asking - fantastic service by the crew for this relatively short flight. ^^ Saw a few people in F taking advantage of that "choice menu" or whatever test and ordering Modelos.

Ch 9 on, so overall a fantastic flight ^^

Last edited by whakojacko; May 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm
Old May 24, 2009, 1:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
09 May 09

SFO-DEN, UA 894 (8:30a departure)

Cheese Omelet with ham, sausage, croissant, and fruit on the side (grapes, pineapple only)

-or-

Fruit plate with yogurt

DEN-BOS, UA 991 (12:37p departure)

Chicken salad

-or-

Roast beef sandwich

both served with delicious tomato soup and warm bread.

No dessert served!
Exact same meals on a breakfast ORD-TPA and lunch ORD-SNA. I too wondered about desert, later in the flight they came around with fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. The soup was very good, of course when I asked if they might have another helping of the soup (since the sandwich wasn't great) I got the "are you from outer space?" look.
Old May 24, 2009, 1:31 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
NRT-SIN in F had a pretty nice Trader Vic's mutton curry. In fact, it was way, way, WAAY too much food.

The ice cream sundae after was actually pretty good. The whipped cream tasted fresh as did the chocolate fudge.

It was my first int'l F flight...quite nice!

My new rule: fly Y/B for business and D for vacation and upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.
Old May 24, 2009, 1:49 am
lpy

I have one question about Hawaii domestic F meal: compared to domestic transcon F, anything special about Hawaii flights?
Old May 24, 2009, 4:54 am

Programs: HH Silver, Eurostar CarteBlanche
Originally Posted by Modern 49er
Note: This is similar to the menu posted above for UA 891 Apr 14 LAX-NRT--a few differences in red.

Appetizers

Warm jumbo lump crab and shiitake mushroom
Monterey Jack cheese and jalapeño creme fraiche

Slowly braised shredded pork and caramelized onions
Cherry strewn wild rice, marjoram and a pecan balsamic vinaigrette

Soup

Roasted red pepper and smoked Gouda bisque

Salad

Fresh seasonal greens with red teardrop tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, kalamata olives and seasoned croûtons - served with your choice of dressing: Creamy Ceasar Asian Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette

Main Course

Roasted Beef Tenderloin and Sun-dried Tomatoes (Trotter)
- Kalamata olive and eggplant strewn quinoa

Zucchini and Phyllo wrapped chevre (Trotter)
- Roasted hazelnuts and a balsamic vinegar and shallot reduction

Grilled Mahi Mahi with Yuzu Miso Vinaigrette
- Sweet potato pie and sautéed spinach

Pomegranate Glazed Duck Breast
- Jasmine cashew rice and Chinese broccoli with baby carrots

Dessert

Ice Cream
- With your choice of sundae toppings: hot fudge, caramel, mixed berries, toasted almonds and whipped cream

Cheese Selection
- St. Pete's Blue, 4 year Chedder, St. Rocco Triple Creme

Pure Imagination Chocolates

Comments:

Had the Duck--really fantastic. Appetizers were only OK, but soup was nice and cheese/port very good too. Best airline food I've had in years. Really excellent service, too. Nice job, UA.^

Skipped the breakfast in favor of sleep.
Modern49er, if you have a chance to eat the duck again, ask the crew to fold back the foil covering that is over the duck portion of your meal. It crisps the skin just enough but the fat content of the duck keeps it tender and moist. Makes it twice as delicious...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.