Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Let's Eat! - 2009 First Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 1:38 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by kaichun1216
I was on this flight, too.
Ah, too bad I missed you. I boarded kind of late so I wasn't looking for other FTers. I was distracted and annoyed with myself for finding that they were weight-restricted after I had boarded; I would have gladly taken a VDB.

I was the guy in the Aloha Shirt chatting with the f/a's in the galley for most of the movie.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
19 Jan UA84 HNL-LAX
Snack (Redeye)

Pre-departure beverage service.

After takeoff, beverage service with warm nuts, then hot towel service.

Snack menu; cold chicken katsu bedded on mixed greens and potato salad or fruit and cheese plate. Both came with a brownie for dessert. My LFML was not boarded by catering so I went all out and had the chicken katsu. While cold, it wasn't too soggy and the sauce was passable. Having eaten an early dinner at Grace's Inn in Honolulu, who make the best chicken katsu in town, it really wasn't a fair comparison.
Do redeyes ex-HNL always have a "real" snack? I'm use to ordering LFML's on ps redeyes because the usual snack is a simple fruit plate...
Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by as219
Do redeyes ex-HNL always have a "real" snack? I'm use to ordering LFML's on ps redeyes because the usual snack is a simple fruit plate...
It used to be always a Deli Plate; the fruit and cheese plate with a roll and some cold cuts. It seems they are expanding the menu a bit. The LFML snack is normally a cold chicken breast on orzo or some variation of that. Someone ordered an AVML last night, but I didn't get a chance to look at it.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:55 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
0119 UA176 SFO-BOS lunch

warm nuts

cream of asparagus soup

"club sandwich" - chicken and cheese on focaccia
or
steak on green salad with black beans, white asparagus, and
roasted yellow corn

chocolate chip cookie
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
We should really just combine the two 2009 Let's Eat threads into one.

On my recent ORD-SFO UA139 09:59 departure

Choice of:
1. Scrambled eggs, piece of ham, one sausage and four mini gold whole potatoes, fruit (strawberry, cantaloupe, red grapes) and choice of banana nut muffin or croissant.

or 2. Fruit plate

Pre-departure water or orange juice and constant attention throughout the flight. Kudos to the First crew for being attentive. They really did a good job at making sure all the F passengers had a spot for their bags. I made a point to let United know of their excellent efforts. Maybe it'll help...but it doesn't seem to do much good at expelling the lazy FAs.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
25 January 2009
UA0386 SEA-DEN
B757-200
Breakfast

Pre-departure beverage of OJ or water offered in a plastic cup.

After departure, breakfast orders taken.
Choice of:
Cheese Omelet or Fruit Plate

Beverage of choice in a glass.

Hot towel service.

Meals served on a tray with linens.

Fruit Plate:
Red grapes, honeydew, strawberries, and oranges

Cheese Omelet:
Served with slice of ham, one sausage, and roasted seasoned potatoes.
Small fruit plate consisting of two slices of honeydew and a small bunch of red grapes.

Both meals came with a croissant and vegetable oil spread or strawberry jam.

Channel 9: On ^
Block Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Recently I've seen flights with the deli plate as the standard meal are served the fruit plate w/o the deli meat when ordering either low fat or diabetic meals (DEN-SFO 3 cabin C and 2 cabin F). I'm wondering for the later ORD-SFO departures (e.g. 8:10PM) which special meal can get me something other than the deli plate?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
does anyone else think the F "deli plate" is nasty?

Was on 44 (lax-Iad redeye) last night. Snack was the "deli plate".

Grapes and melon were OK. Cheese was cold bricks - sould have been better at room temp.

The meat was awful. Definiely not proper deli meat - clearly cryovaced sliced meat. I'm not picky, but this was completely unpalatable. And I suggest, an inappropriate midnight snack - a generous serving of satly chips, nuts, or even a sandwich would be more appropriate. A ramekin of Guac would be nice.

Not to kvetch more, but I would even suggest that in F, drink orders should be take prior to take off. This would expedite my getting a drink in me, sleep started, etc.

Anyone concur with the above?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
On UA68 LIH-LAX last night one of the two snack options was a cold tortellini pasta salad served with some deli meats. The pasta was "OK", but the deli meat was pretty nasty. I took one bite and was over it.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, UA 1K, VA, VX
Originally Posted by jfhscott

Grapes and melon were OK. Cheese was cold bricks - sould have been better at room temp.

The meat was awful. Definiely not proper deli meat - clearly cryovaced sliced meat. I'm not picky, but this was completely unpalatable. And I suggest, an inappropriate midnight snack - a generous serving of satly chips, nuts, or even a sandwich would be more appropriate. A ramekin of Guac would be nice.

Not to kvetch more, but I would even suggest that in F, drink orders should be take prior to take off. This would expedite my getting a drink in me, sleep started, etc.

Try the LAX - IAD 07:48 departure in C. Suppose to be breakfast. I was famished. All they offered was a fruit plate or a deli fruit plate. Totally not what I expected. Plus it was very skimpy. One slice of roast beef and two slices of melon and some grapes. I agree the red eyes should be a little more substantial but this morning flight should most definitely be more substantial. Probably cost all of $2 of those meals. And, this is suppose to be F and C classes of service? Oh wait, this is UA I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by drummingcraig
On UA68 LIH-LAX last night one of the two snack options was a cold tortellini pasta salad served with some deli meats. The pasta was "OK", but the deli meat was pretty nasty. I took one bite and was over it.
I did UA 68 LIH - LAX on Jan 20th. Two snack options. Fruit plate or pasta salad. I took pasta salad because it sounded more filling. You know it was. I like it. The tortellini pasta was delicious and plenty of it. The deli meats were great too. I love genoa salami. The ham was good too. And, the cheese. There were crackers too. Plus there was even warm bread. And, thank goodness that that Country Crock crock is gone and real butter is back!!! For a snack, I felt that this was rather quite pleasant and way better than those $2 fruit plates.

Last edited by retsef; Jan 27, 2009 at 7:03 pm Reason: Originally bolded the text and deleted the bold
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:03 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Please join this discussion, already in progress:

Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by retsef
Try the LAX - IAD 07:48 departure in C. Suppose to be breakfast. I was famished. All they offered was a fruit plate or a deli fruit plate. Totally not what I expected. Plus it was very skimpy.
Why did you not expect it? We've been talking about these changes to domestic C for about 5 months now ...
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:07 pm

Lax/Den last week.deli plate,bread was hard as rock,turkey was tasteless,side fruit was not fresh and dried.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, UA 1K, VA, VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhscott

Try the LAX - IAD 07:48 departure in C. Suppose to be breakfast. I was famished. All they offered was a fruit plate or a deli fruit plate. Totally not what I expected. Plus it was very skimpy. One slice of roast beef and two slices of melon and some grapes. I agree the red eyes should be a little more substantial but this morning flight should most definitely be more substantial. Probably cost all of $2 of those meals. And, this is suppose to be F and C classes of service? Oh wait, this is UA I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingcraig

I did UA 68 LIH - LAX on Jan 20th. Two snack options. Fruit plate or pasta salad. I took pasta salad because it sounded more filling. You know it was. I like it. The tortellini pasta was delicious and plenty of it. The deli meats were great too. I love genoa salami. The ham was good too. And, the cheese. There were crackers too. Plus there was even warm bread. And, thank goodness that that Country Crock crock is gone and real butter is back!!! For a snack, I felt that this was rather quite pleasant and way better than those $2 fruit plates.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Regarding the current "deli plate" -- for quite a while, it was just a "fruit & cheese plate." Lots of threads on it in this forum. Now that it's had some deli meat added, I think it's actually BETTER than the F&C plate, in that it gives more of a variety of choices. Not that I think it's really good -- just better than before. (The OLD "deli plate" from a few years back was actually fairly decent....)

Anyhow, in this era of UA losing big bucks and the general economic meltdown (the likes of which have not been seen for 80 years), I think this type of issue is not exactly on the top of UA's priority list. Improving the food offerings isn't likely to pull UA out of the hole, let alone rescue the world economy. (And there will ALWAYS be something to kvetch about, in good times and bad. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.