Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Let's Eat! - 2009 First Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM

With a nod to SEA_Tigger for a nice compilation:

Generally speaking, domestic flights with food service in First Class can be broken down into these types:
  1. p.s. flights
  2. Mainline & Business1 flights over 2.5 hours
  3. Business1 flights under 2.5 hours
  4. Non-Business1 flights under 2.5 hours
  5. ExPlus flights

1) P.S. flights: Passengers in First Class can expect a meal to be served for all non-redeye flights. Redeye flights can expect a fruit & cheese plate.

2) Domestic mainline & Business1 flights over 2.5 hours: Passengers in First Class can expect meals according to the following scheduled flight departure times:
  • 0500 - 1000 Breakfast
  • 1001 - 1600 Lunch
  • 1601 - 1930 Dinner
  • 1931 - 0459 Snack Plate (ie Fruit, Cheese, and Deli Meat)

3) Business1 flights under 2.5 hours: Passengers in First Class can expect meals according to the following scheduled flight departure times:
  • 0500 - 1000 Fruit, Cheese, and Yogurt Breakfast
  • 1100 - 1930 Snack Plate Meal (ie Fruit, Cheese, and Deli Meat)
  • 1931 - 0459 No Meal Service (ie "Gold Bag" of pre-packaged mixed nuts only)

Note, no meal is served on the following Business1 flights:
ORD-MSP
MSP-ORD
These flights will be served the "gold bag" of pre-packaged mixed nuts.

4) First Class passengers on United Airlines domestic flights other then p.s. and Business1 with durations under 2.5 hours in length will receive the "gold bag" of pre-packaged mixed nuts.

5) United Express First Class passengers on flights over 759 miles (approximately 2 hours in length) will receive:
  • 0500 - 1000 Smartpack SnackBox
  • 1100 - 1930 Minimeal SnackBox
  • 1931 - 0459 No Meal Service (ie "Gold Bag" of pre-packaged mixed nuts only)

With a nod to rch4u here's a method to check what First Class meal code your flight is tagged with. Unfortunately this only works if the flight is also sold as a codeshare.

Originally Posted by rch4u
The best trick I have found is to do an ITA search for F and find the US codeshare on UA metal. Somehow, that displays meal information correctly.

For example, F ORD-LGA (UA 678)*:

united.com

Fare basis code:
QUAUP
Booking class: A
First
733 Award miles
No Meal Service

UA ITA

United Airlines Flight UA678 on an Airbus A320 (jet) in first class
Departs Chicago, IL (ORD) Fri, Aug 3 11:05a 2 hrs 13 min
Arrives New York, NY (LGA) 2:18p

US UA Codeshare ITA

US Airways Flight US6756 on an Airbus A320 (jet) in first class
(operated by United Airlines as Flight UA678)
(lunch)
Departs Chicago, IL (ORD) Fri, Aug 3 11:05a 2 hrs 13 min
Arrives New York, NY (LGA) 2:18p

* The "trick" does not work for ORD-DCA because there is no UA/US codeshare on the route.

For an awesome description of United's First Class Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snack meals, BlissWorld has created this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-pictures.html

For the curious folks:

With that, Let's Eat 2009!

Last edited by warreng24; Jan 1, 2009 at 10:15 am
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:06 am

I can tell you for a fact that ORD-SNA with a depature of 19:59 is a fruit and deli plate.
Also if you order a Low-fat Meal they will still give you the fruit and deli plate.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Flight/Route: UA721/DEN-SFO
Aircraft/Seat: 757-200/5C
Departure Time/Duration: 11:11 a.m./3:00
Meal: Lunch

This was just before Christmas but I'm just now getting around to organizing photos, so it'll go in 2009.

I was booked on UA89 at 4:05 p.m. (connecting to SBA) but it was threatening snow so I got on the standby list and made it onto 721 with no trouble other than having to park in the Mt. Elbert lot and its long bus ride.

After taking off on 34L and taking in the rather sobering sight of CO1404 (three days after the fact) down in the ravine, we were served drinks and warm nuts. I chose a G&T.

Lunch was a choice of a warm turkey sandwich or a turkey salad. A cheese-covered sandwich didn't appeal so I chose the salad, which was delicious, with mixed greens and large chunks of turkey, plus cherry tomatoes, celery, Swiss cheese chunks, kalamata olives and walnuts. Two tubs of Naturally Fresh ranch dressing and a warm roll/Grassland butter, plus a salt/pepper packet were on the single tray. Simple but very high quality ingredients. The Canyon Road red (Shiraz?) tasted fine and refills were offered consistently. The sandwich looked very gooey with cheese and had a couscous/mandarin orange/greens side salad.

After lunch I had a stretch in the rear galley and missed the chocolate chip cookie, but I asked a flight attendant and she quickly brought one to me as we began our descent into SFO. The crew (five instead of the usual four) was friendly and in a nice holiday mood.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Flight/Route: UA482/SFO-DEN
Aircraft/Seat: A319/2C
Departure Time/Duration: 7:10 p.m./2:24
Meal: Dinner

My last flight of 2008 was a good one - the purser (Eve, I believe) was funny and kept the drinks flowing. We were offered a choice of drink at the gate (always a good sign) and I enjoyed a quick Chivas on the rocks with a bit of water.

After takeoff we were offered more drinks and warm nuts. I switched to Shiraz ("Would you like a tumbler? It holds more." ), which went well with the stuffed shells I chose. The shells were stuffed with ricotta and had a nice al-dente texture, with a mildly spicy marinara sauce and a bit of mozzarella melted on top (a warm roll/butter and salt/pepper were also on the tray). Not the prettiest meal, but hot and satisfying enough for a two-hour flight. The other entree was a cold chicken breast with grapes, actually a nice option given the post-7 p.m. departure.

A piece of chocolate cake with cherry bits (UA must have bought this dessert by the truckload) completed the meal. In Y the "short-haul snacks" were being sold, including chips and Toblerone bars. We had a choppy approach into Denver but arrived a few minutes early. My checked suitcase was waiting at the carousel with a bottle of red wine inside, unbroken. I took it as a good omen for 2009
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Flight/Route: UA71/DEN-OGG
Aircraft: 767-300-Domestic-2-class
Scheduled Departure Time: 12:00 ACTUAL: 14:49
Meal: Lunch and a Snack
Load-Factor in F: 97%

The pilot on this flight was excellent. Despite 4 in-operative items on this aircraft that needed to be fixed prior to take-off, the pilot came out to the gate several times stating that the delay was "no one's fault but mine." Truly an example, and helped us understand the reason behind the delay. ^^

Once we finally boarded, PDB consisted of Water or Orange Juice option in plastic cup. Then we waited. And waited. Apparently, the mechanics were in a "shift change" in weren't actively working on the engine, so we had to wait. Purser decided to play NBC in-flight on the big screens, and offered those of us a drink of choice. I asked for a Mai Tai (hehe). Of course, none on hand, so I had a Red Canyon red wine. I believe it was a Cab, 2007. Not very good at all.

Once airborne, we were offered a drink of choice with warm nuts. This was followed by a hot towel service. ^ I again, for whatever reason, chose the Red Wine. Next time if I see that wine on offer, I'm choosing a beer.

Next, tray service consisting of a small salad in a bowl with cucumbers, 2 or 3 olives, and lettuce. Quite good with one tub of Ranch Dressing.

Choice of 2 rolls from the bread basket. Butter served on tray. Roll was excellent and soft.^

Soon, entree came. Choice of Raviolli or Chicken with Spinach and Roasted Potatoes. I chose and received the raviolli. I thought it was very good. ^

Some sort of lemon tart for dessert, which wasn't too bad.

Break in service for an hour or two, then it was time for a snack.
About 2-hours prior to landing.

SMALL fruit and cheese plate (similar to the one on the SFO-SEA legs in the evening).
2-slices of cheese, several grapes, 1 plastic package of crackers. Served on a small tray with utensils.

I expected something a bit more for the snack, but was nonetheless happy with the lunch. Flight attendants were friendly throughout the flight.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 7:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
transcon brekkers, the usual

0113 UA 171 BOS SFO
cheese omelet, sausages, potatoes or fruit plate
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by violist
0113 UA 171 BOS SFO
cheese omelet, sausages, potatoes or fruit plate
UA 279 MCO/LAX
Date: 14 January 2009
Aircraft: 757
Scheduled departure: 6:56 a.m./Actual: 8:10 a.m.
Meal: Breakfast

Choice: Fruit Plate w/cheese danish or croissant
or
Cheese omelet, 2 sausages, white potatoes, fruit dish (pineapple, honeydew melon, grapes), cheese danish or croissant
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Flight/Route: UA36/OGG-SFO
Aircraft: 767-300-Domestic-2-class
Meal: Snack (Red-Eye)
Load-Factor in F: 100%

Once I finished cleaning the wrappers off of my seat from obviously a previous occupant , I sat down and was offered a:

Pre-Departure Beverage choice of either water of orange juice in plastic cups

Drink of choice after take-off. I asked for guava juice, but apparently that hasn't been offered on UA flights for 2-years, according to the FA (and my seat-mate asked for sparkling wine, to no avail either), so survived with a Sprite Zero.

Warm nuts in Warm Ramekins. ^

I had wanted to request a special meal (LFML) prior to departure as I wanted to see what/if it would be better than the regular meal, but, since my upgrade didn't clear until at the gate , I got stuck with the regular meal.

The meal featured two choices. Fruit plate, or chicken plate.

I chose the chicken plate. It was actually quite tasty, and a VAST improvement over just the standard fruit plate. Chicken plate featured sliced fried chicken, with a side of potato salad. Excellent brownie in a plastic wrapper offered for dessert.

Drinks were re-filled several times during the meal service, and for the time that I was awake, FA service was good to great, and attentive. ^

Hot towel and beverage offered prior to arrival. ^
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:02 am

Flight/Route: SFO-DEN, January 7th
Aircraft: Boeing 757-200
Meal: Breakfast
Load-Factor in F: 100%

Pre-departure beverage of water or OJ offered in a plastic cup.

Drink of choice offered after take-off.

I ordered the special Low Fat Meal. It consisted of a bagel wrapped in saran wrap with Philly Cream Cheese. Also featured a small fruit plate.

Main course consisted of 4 slices of French Toast. The French Toast was dry without any butter.

Very filling, and my seat-mates were quite jealous.

On breakfast flights, I think I'll stick with the omelette. I think that has more flavor and is less dry.

Service was good throughout the flight.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
1/14 UA 331 ORD-SEA scheduled 10AM departure 757-200

Pre-Departure juice or water
Warm Nuts and Drink Orders
Hot Towles
Choices of:

Cold Roast Beef Sandwich with Roasted Pepper Soup

Salad with Warm Chicken

Salad with Cold Shrimp

Salads came plated with a roll and butter

Desert of milk and cookies served separately.

Napkins had button holes.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:38 pm

3 meal choices on a mid-con? Wonder if this was a catering fluke, or a possibility for the future?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:33 pm

SYD/LAX UA840 Jan. 4

Appetizer
- Garlic prawn skewer with wasabi Hollandaise

Soup
- Zucchini and cheddar cheese soup

Salad
- Arugula and baby spinach with carrot julienne, sliced cucumbers with either Caesar or Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing

Main
- Braised beef short ribs
or
- Sesame crusted chicken with orange ginger hoisin sauce
or
- Poached slipper lobster with seafood cream sauce
or
- Italian vegetable ravioli with roasted capsicum and garlic olive oil

Dessert
- Ice cream with sundae toppings
- Cheese selection (King island blue cheese, Leicester, Camembert)

Mid-flight Snack
- Warm Australian beef burgundy meat pie ^
- Chilled Vietnamese vegetarian sandwich
- Macadamia nut candy
- Chips

Breakfast
- Poached eggs Florentine with Hollandaise sauce
or
- Fresh seasonal fruit plate with creamy yogurt

Inflight service was good, and 2 F/As came around often to make sure my glass was not empty.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:05 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
16 Jan UA935 LAX-HNL
Dinner

Pre-departure beverage service.

After takeoff, beverage service with warm nuts, then hot towel service.

Dinner menu - Grilled Chicken Breast with Portabello or Cheese Raviolli. Side salad, diner roll, and carrot cake for desert.

I ordered the IVML; it was a trio of Indian dishes (one saag, tofu curry, and something very spicy) on top of a bed of rice. One small naan, side salad, spicy picked veggie, and gulab jamun.

No sparkling wine or mai tais, yet.

Nice service from a mostly HNL-based crew, including a f/a who was on the Coast-to-Island Do flight last May.

19 Jan UA84 HNL-LAX
Snack (Redeye)

Snack menu; cold chicken katsu bedded on mixed greens and potato salad or fruit and cheese plate. Both came with a brownie for dessert. My LFML was not boarded by catering so I went all out and had the chicken katsu. While cold, it wasn't too soggy and the sauce was passable. Having eaten an early dinner at Grace's Inn in Honolulu, who make the best chicken katsu in town, it really wasn't a fair comparison.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 20, 2009 at 7:40 am
Old Jan 20, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Jan 18th SFO-ORD 11:00 First
Pre-Flight OJ or H2O
Warm nuts
Cheese/Broccoli Soup,
Choice of Steak Salad or Club Sandwich
Grapes
Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie
Old Jan 20, 2009, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
16 Jan UA935 LAX-HNL
Dinner

Dinner menu - Grilled Chicken Breast with Portabello or Cheese Raviolli. Side salad, diner roll, and carrot cake for desert.

I ordered the IVML; it was a trio of Indian dishes (one saag, tofu curry, and something very spicy) on top of a bed of rice. One small naan, side salad, spicy picked veggie, and gulab jamun.

No sparkling wine or mai tais, yet.

Nice service from a mostly HNL-based crew, including a f/a who was on the Coast-to-Island Do flight last May.
I was on this flight, too.

I had grilled chicken for my dinner. Not too bad, IMO. The side salad was a little bit crazy.

And, I agree with you on nice service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.