Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Let's Eat! - 2009 First Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's Eat! - 2009 First Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by PanHam
Yeah, if there's a "Coastal Breeze" on the menu, it's p.s. It's what UA added to try to sound classy and like it's a worth substitute for removing champagne (plus, I'm sure there were some kickbacks or "increased revenue" from the Westin sponsorship).
fwiw, on at least 2 of the ps flights I took last month (in C) sparkling wine was served pre-flight
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
Anyone know what the current offerings are in F on the 3-class transcom IAD-LAX/LAX-IAD? Is it the usual chicken or pasta choices (dinner) and eggs or fruit plate (breakfast)?

TIA.
I can answer my own question now.

The F meal service on domestic flights, even in a 3-class airplane (except for ps flights) is all the same. No sparkling wine, breakfast was standard fruit plate or eggs, dinner choices were chicken or pasta. I was underwhelmed.

Certainly the hard product on the 3-class 777 IAD-LAX was nice, the FA's were good, and the wine was served in a slightly larger glass, IIRC, but the meal was no different from what one would get on a 319, or a 767 going to/from Hawaii. Happily, we found this out on the way to IAD, and so were able to reserve special meals for the dinner flight on the way back. Nice change of pace.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
What's the soup on mid-con lunch flights these days?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Trans-Con Lunch

Originally Posted by rch4u
What's the soup on mid-con lunch flights these days?
It was minestrone on Saturday, 2/14

2/14 UA 866 LAX-IAD (319)

Lunch was minestrone soup and a choice of either a cobb salad (with or without shrimp) or an italian cold cut sub (my memory may be failing me on the latter).

My Hindu meal was a trio of curried chickpeas, naan, and spicy peppers over basmati rice with plain yogurt and naan on the side.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
UA 535 BOS ORD
warm nuts, hot towels
turkey sandwich or shrimp salad
UA 538 ORD BOS
blazing hot nuts, steaming hot towels
three cheese shells or roast beef plate
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
UA 49
LAX-OGG
2/16/09
Boeing 757

PDB of choice. ^^ I chose Sparkling Wine, and it was served to me in a plastic cup. Apparently only one bottle was boarded, so I was glad to have received at least one cup.

After take off (long thereafter, for some reason) lukewarm towel, lukewarm nuts, and drink of choice. I chose red wine this time, as the friendly FA remembered my earlier selection and told me that they were already out of the sparkling wine.

Tray service with salad and cheesecake. Followed by bread basket with choice of French or Multi-grain roll served warm,

Choice of Chicken Marsala with portabella mushrooms or raviolli.

I chose the Raviolli, which turned out to be tortellini. Not bad, not great.

Lemon cake for dessert followed by coffee or tea.

Drinks re-filled throughout the flight by this attentive and friendly F crew.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
UA167 BOS-LAX dinner service

The lowlights:

- nuts served cold
- choice of chicken or... chicken. ONE entree choice. I couldn't believe it, but sure enough, the walk down the aisle revealed that everyone had the same entree that was eating dinner.
- dessert was some sort of chocolate molten cake, which had a strange texture because it was served cold

Beyond pathetic for a transcon meal service.

- T
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TonySCV
UA167 BOS-LAX dinner service

The lowlights:

- nuts served cold
- choice of chicken or... chicken. ONE entree choice. I couldn't believe it, but sure enough, the walk down the aisle revealed that everyone had the same entree that was eating dinner.
- dessert was some sort of chocolate molten cake, which had a strange texture because it was served cold

Beyond pathetic for a transcon meal service.

- T
Did you at least get salad and bread with it?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:03 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Feb 16th ORD - SFO on flight 153 in C on a 3 class 747. Plane swap from the 767 scheduled. It was new C.

Warm nuts served.

Dinner was choice of:

Salmon salad OR

Cold chicken sandwich

I went for the chicken sandwich. It was served with some kind of couscous/wheat berry salad that was terrible with no flavor. It also had a side of grapes.

Chicken sandwich wasn't very good.

Dessert was a warm chocolate chip cookie and milk. ^

I think the employees in employee class probably had a better meal. F was completely full of UA associates.

The positive? The new C was great. Far, far, far, far, far superior to anything from before. I especially liked that I could watch a movie from as soon as I boarded until I got off the plane. None of that turning the AV system on or off at the purser's whim.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:17 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Date: Thursday, February 19
Flight: UA919
Route: IAD-SAN
Aircraft: 757-200
Meal: Dinner
Predeparture: OJ/H2O
Nuts: very warm, full ramekin

Mixed green salad with apple slices and pistachios accompanied by Asian Sesame dressing.

Baked chicken with brown gravy, seasoned baked potato wedges, green beans and carrots.

Whole grain dinner roll.

Chocolate cherry cake on dinner tray for dessert.

The other option was stuffed shells with tomato sauce. HOt towel service after nuts, prior to meal. Why won't UA offer the hot towels before nuts or prior to landing?

Last edited by MileageAddict; Feb 21, 2009 at 4:16 pm
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:26 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
Anyone know what the current offerings are in F on the 3-class transcom IAD-LAX/LAX-IAD? Is it the usual chicken or pasta choices (dinner) and eggs or fruit plate (breakfast)?

TIA.
Today, flight 946 (LAX-IAD) I was in C class (standard deli or fruit plate) but overhead the selections in F class being a spinach omelette or fruit plate.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
UA 1054
OGG-DEN
2/18
Boeing 767-300 2-class version

Pre-departure beverage choice of water or orange juice. No bubbly.

The best part of the flight was when the doors closed and I found out that I'd have an empty F seat next to me. Great for this long, uncomfortable flight in this joke of an F-configuration. I'll echo the earlier comments on another thread on this board. This plane was amazingly clean. ^^

Service was terrific from this "experienced" crew. After hearing all of the negative comments on here about such crews, I was very pleasntly surprised.

Beverage of choice after take-off. I chose coffee with Bailey's. Of course, it was substituted with Starbuck's, but it sufficed. The coffee and the Starbuck's never stopped flowing throughout the flight. Truly great service.

Snack proceeded by hot towel.

Snack choice of cold chicken salad or standard fruit plate.

I went with the Chicken Salad. It was a breast of chicken, sliced, served over lettuce with hard-boiled eggs on the side. Tub of ceasar dressing on the side. It was actually very filling and delicious.

Piping hot ramekin of nuts served with the snack on the tray.

Dessert of a delicious packaged in plastic brownie.

Beverages and flight attendants attendant throughout the flight if needed.

Snack and beverage served an hour or so prior to departure.

Consisted of two melon slices, pineapple slice, which were both ripe and delicious, and a bunch of grapes, which were for once ripe as well.

No choice of pastry. Had a fruit-filled thing, not a huge fan of fruit-filled pastries, so didn't finish it. Was hoping for a warm option or something a tad more substantial prior to landing.

Hot towel again prior to landing.

We got in a half-hour early!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Did you at least get salad and bread with it?
Yes.... standard issue salad and no choice of roll.

- T
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:57 am

Programs: Mostly Mileage Plus (UGS) + AAdvantage (Gold)
Question

Originally Posted by MileageAddict

Date: Thursday, February 19
Flight: UA919
Route: IAD-SAN
Aircraft: 757-200
Meal: Dinner
Predeparture: OJ/H2O
Nuts: very warm, full ramekin

Mixed green salad with apple slices and pistachios accompanied by Asian Sesame dressing.

Baked chicken with brown gravy, seasoned baked potato wedges, green beans and carrots.

Whole grain dinner roll.

Chocolate cherry cake on dinner tray for dessert.

The other option was stuffed shells with tomato sauce. HOt towel service after nuts, prior to meal. Why won't UA offer the hot towels before nuts or prior to landing?
This dinner selection sounds a notch up from the 2-class F selections I've been getting these days. My North American transcon lunch meals have consisted of only cold entrees; a choice of salad or sandwich sub, accompanied with soup and a cookie.

I have yet to experience dinner; could this explain the difference?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
27 February 2009
UA0163 BOS-LAX
B757-200
Breakfast

Pre-departure beverage of choice offered in a plastic cup. Requests for something more than OJ and water were honored. ^

After departure, beverage of choice in a glass.

Then, breakfast orders taken.
Choice of:
Scrambled Eggs or Fruit Plate

Meals served on a tray with linens.

Fruit Plate:
Did not observe anyone eating it.

Scrambled Eggs:
The "southwest-stlye" scrambled eggs. Complete with diced jalapeno peppers, red bell peppers, and shredded cheddar cheese. Included one shriveled sausage, a small half-dollar sized slice of ham, and three half-dollar sized hashbrowns. Fairly decent. Served with a mini-fruit plate consisting of a bunch of red globe grapes (on the vine), two slices of cantaloupe, and one strawberry. I was still hungry after the meal. Not filling at all for a trans-con breakfast!

Choice of croissant or blueberry muffin with vegetable oil spread, marmalade, or strawberry jam.

Channel 9: On ^
Block Time: 6 hours, 39 minutes

Last edited by warreng24; Mar 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.