Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
But the punitive damages are a awarded to the plaintiff for injuries that she hasn't even suffered. She gets the money free, just to punish the defendant. So, even after the attorney takes 30-40% (it's not going to be 50%, except in the most extreme <1% of cases), and the IRS takes its taxes (which, even under the AMT, would only be 28%), the plaintiff is still left with 30-40% of the money, completely free, no strings attached.

And clients frequently deduct the attorney's contingency fee when filing their taxes, and get away with it (as a result of IRS non-enforcement)--although the deduction is not actually allowed by law, and all these clients could be in for an audit if the IRS decides to start cracking down.

(And I say that the client gets punitive damages "completely free" because, when awarded, they are awarded in addition to the actual damages suffered by the plaintiff. And actual damages are awarded tax-free, although the client still has to pay the attorney either his contingency percentage or his hourly fee.)

And...even if the IRS is getting a cut...it still doesn't follow (as was originally asserted by the other poster) that punitive damage statutes were designed to bribe bribe greedy state legislatures.
Something is better than nothing, but when a plaintiff gets a $1,000,000 punitive damages award and ends up with 20% of it, it can be quite a shock to them.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
But the wife is suing for her own damages. They also raise other claims relating to the husband's losses, which I think are much less convincing. But the wife is in fact suing for her injuries and suffering.
Many US state statutes recognize "Community Property", and any settlement received by the wife from the airline would likely be held to be held in common with the husband, "joint", not separate.

That raises a couple of other issues...

If a settlement was joint property, then the husband is benefiting from his own criminal action, disallowed under many state codes.

Of course, the airline in many states would raise the defense of shared liability. The jury would be called upon the determine the percentage of liability assignable to the husband for beating his bride, likely a big percentage, while the airline is likely to be held less liable. A few states have codes which hold that the party with the greatest liability is responsible for the entire settlement, IIRC.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Traveling Consultant
we need to ban all alcohol on flights

Or people could just act like adults and take responsibility for their actions
I finally calmed down enough to comment. I think.

Is anything ever anyones fault anymore?

The guy used his wife as a punching bag, unfortunately it happens all the time and now somehow because it happened on a plane it's somehow the airlines fault? What a gutless wonder this guy is!

I sincerely hope that UA litigates this one straight through to the end on behalf of all us responsible booze hounds!

I'm so tired of this "The Devil Made Me Do It" defense of indefensible actions, which is then followed by the lawsuit du jour.

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! time to log off. Insensitive remarks running amok in my brain and they need to stay there.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 20, 2008 at 6:18 pm Reason: language
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by PineyBob
I sincerely hope that UA litigates this one straight through to the end on behalf of all us responsible booze hounds!
Exactly. They should countersue and make these idiots pay all of their legal fees. Oh, and the judge should bar them from flying commercial airlines. (Not sure if he can actually do that, but why not?)
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
The couple dropped the lawsuit.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
It looks like they or their attorney realized (like many others) there was no case
A U.S. District Court in Tampa has dismissed a lawsuit against United Airlines for "negligently" overserving alcohol at the request of the Florida couple who brought the legal action.

Yoichi and Ayisha Shimamoto, asked the court on Dec. 23 to voluntarily dismiss the case, which created headlines for the novel legal theory involved.

<snip>Under the Dram Shop Act, which is in place in most states, commercial suppliers of alcohol may be held liable for injuries caused by intoxicated patrons. California's version of the statute, however, restricts suppliers' liability to damage inflicted by minors.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:37 pm

The only thing I find interesting with this latest twist is that it was filed Dec 23 and we are just hearing about it now.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by worldtrav
The only thing I find interesting with this latest twist is that it was filed Dec 23 and we are just hearing about it now.
I guess it's only news when the judge approves the dismissal.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:05 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by worldtrav
It sounds like the plaintiffs filed a motion on Dec. 23 requesting that the case be dismissed, but that the case wasn't actually dismissed until a later date (maybe today). Judges take time to issue rulings.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by PineyBob
Is anything ever anyones fault anymore?

The guy used his wife as a punching bag, unfortunately it happens all the time and now somehow because it happened on a plane it's somehow the airlines fault? What a gutless wonder this guy is!

I agree with your post but he didn't use his wife as a punching bag on the plane, it was in the arrivals/immigration hall.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM RCC, DL 2MM/FC, Marriott PL
Originally Posted by gbsfo
I think it is just the American culture.
Actually, this lawsuit reflects, IMHO, Japanese culture. I've done a lot of business over the past 30 years in Japan and have some close Japanese friends who are businessmen, and I think what people are missing in this thread (most probably don't know) is that using drunkenness as an excuse for all sorts of crimes - including serious crimes like rape and murder - has historically been quite common in that culture and often has gotten people out of jail. (Look back at the literature on Prohibition, and you'll see this was the case here in the US in the first few decades of the last century, too.)

We're all looking at this through a modern American cultural prism...this husband was using a Japanese justification for his abusive behavior (and I'll bet it's not the first time he's done it).

What's different is that, here, he was able to find a lawyer to use to blame it on UAL (that is a shame, as noted elsewhere in the thread).
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:38 pm

Programs: 1 Million Miles UA, joined MP 1982
So let's see that would have been 3 times an hour for what 10 hours = 30 glasses of wine? He wouldn't have been drunk, he would have been almost in a coma. The sad thing is FAs are damned if they do and damned if they don't -- grumpy passengers demand most booze and if they try and cut them off they get belligerent. No one wins here, and while United churns through $100-200K in legal fees to flight it they'll just find someplace to to take the cost from.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Ocean2Ocean
United churns through $100-200K in legal fees to flight it they'll just find someplace to to take the cost from.
Mmm, what makes you think that UA spent $100-200K in legal fees on this case? It was dismissed almost as soon as it was filed, and UA has plenty of in-house counsel, so they only need to hire a law firm for the "tough stuff."
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:06 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Perhaps UA is different, but most big companies I know of don't handle litigation in-house, even if it's frivolous. The in-house counsel are mostly there to hire and supervise outside counsel, and also for general internal advising and policy-making. It has a lot to do with professional liability: companies like being able to sue someone else if there's a legal screw-up.

UA has probably hired a cheap Floridian litigation firm to sort this out on their behalf.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by joejones
Perhaps UA is different, but most big companies I know of don't handle litigation in-house, even if it's frivolous. The in-house counsel are mostly there to hire and supervise outside counsel, and also for general internal advising and policy-making. . . . UA has probably hired a cheap Floridian litigation firm to sort this out on their behalf.
What I mean is that any firm they hired to handle this probably did not bill $100K-200K as another poster estimated, because:
(1) the case was over almost as soon as it started, apparently before discovery and maybe before UA even filed an answer,
(2) UA has in-house counsel to do some work, esp. the more routine parts, such as telling the PR people what to say when random reporters call about the case. Thus reducing the number of hours that outside counsel would have to / be able to bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.