Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by joejones
Perhaps UA is different, but most big companies I know of don't handle litigation in-house, even if it's frivolous. The in-house counsel are mostly there to hire and supervise outside counsel, and also for general internal advising and policy-making. It has a lot to do with professional liability: companies like being able to sue someone else if there's a legal screw-up.
UA has probably hired a cheap Floridian litigation firm to sort this out on their behalf.
The main reason for doing it is that attorney/client privilege is a lot more straightforward with outside counsel handling a case. With in-house counsel, determining what is, and isn't, privileged can get muddled up pretty easily - and your opinion and the court's don't always agree.

Last edited by Mark_K; Jan 9, 2009 at 8:37 am
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
The couple has dropped the suit, according to the trib:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7879658.story

At the request of the Florida couple who brought the legal action, a U.S. District Court in Tampa has dismissed a lawsuit against United Airlines that claimed the carrier "negligently" overserved alcohol during a flight.

Yoichi and Ayisha Shimamoto asked the court on Dec. 23 to voluntarily dismiss the case, which created headlines for the legal theory involved.

At issue was whether laws that hold bars and restaurants responsible for harm caused by intoxicated patrons apply when the server and drinker are flying at 40,000 feet across international territory.

The lawsuit alleged that United's flight attendants were overly generous in serving wine to Yoichi Shimamoto during a nearly nine-hour flight from Osaka, Japan, to San Francisco, fueling domestic violence involving the couple shortly after the plane landed.

Shimamoto was arrested and accused of disorderly conduct and battery after he struck his wife as they headed through U.S. Customs following the December 2006 flight.

Under the Dram Shop Act, which is in place in most states, commercial suppliers of alcohol may be held liable for injuries caused by intoxicated patrons. California's version of the statute restricts suppliers' liability to damage inflicted by minors.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I wish the article said whether they dropped it with or without prejudice.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:23 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by zipadee
I wish the article said whether they dropped it with or without prejudice.
Dismissing with or without prejudice is up to the judge, not the plaintiff dropping the case...but my guess is that if it was the plaintiff dropping it it's probably without prejudice, whereas if it was the defendant winning a motion to dismiss it would have been more likely to be with prejudice...
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Dismissing with or without prejudice is up to the judge, not the plaintiff dropping the case...but my guess is that if it was the plaintiff dropping it it's probably without prejudice, whereas if it was the defendant winning a motion to dismiss it would have been more likely to be with prejudice...
Thanks. Do you think United gave 'em some money and that's why they dropped it?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by zipadee
Thanks. Do you think United gave 'em some money and that's why they dropped it?
Impossible to determine from that news story .

If United gave them money to settle the case, then United would have insisted on a dismissal with prejudice, or else the plaintiffs could just take the money and turn around and sue again.

From the story, it sounds to me like the plaintiffs unilaterally moved to dismiss, which leads me to guess that UA didn't pay them anything, and they just realized that they didn't have a case. But that's really just a guess. The news story is too short and vague for me to say for sure.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
What? All the lawyers here and no one looked it up on PACER?

DKT #11 ORDER approving without prejudice notice of voluntary dismissal. The Clerk is directed to terminate and (sic) pending motion and close the case.. Signed by Judge Steven D. Merryday on 12/29/2008
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
What? All the lawyers here and no one looked it up on PACER?

DKT #11 ORDER approving without prejudice notice of voluntary dismissal. The Clerk is directed to terminate and (sic) pending motion and close the case.. Signed by Judge Steven D. Merryday on 12/29/2008
Well, I'm not a lawyer (and thus not making $$) yet. I checked Westlaw (long shot, I know), but I didn't want to spend the 8 cents per page searching PACER. I figured one of the real lawyers would do it soon enough.

Although, in retrospect, I could have done it for free because my 8 cents per page wouldn't have added up to $10 for this quarter. Oops.

But hey, at least I correctly guessed that the dismissal was without prejudice! I followed the FT rule..when in doubt, speculate!

So Pat...given that the dismissal was without prejudice, is it fair to conclude that UA probably didn't pay the plaintiffs to drop the case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.