Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:51 pm

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
UpstateNY - an excellent and thoughtful explanation.

I think it is unreasonable to expect FAs to in fact become alcohol physiologists. Are they supposed to remember that pax#4 was served a cocktail by another FA 1 1/2 hours ago and now requests a glass of wine. But did he has a pre-departure drink? How much does he weigh? If I give him a glass of wine now, does that mean no port with the cheese tray? If I go on break, should I inform the other FAs that I served him another drink?
That's exactly the point -- if it's unreasonable to expect an FA, who has all sorts of other duties, to keep track of all of this stuff, then that person will not be deemed negligent if he or she gave someone a couple of extra drinks. Remember that all of these factual questions (including the question of whether some conduct was reasonable) are judged by 12 ordinary folks, who presumably are just as capable as the people on this forum of making sound, commonsensical decisions.

Speaking as a former defense-side products liability lawyer, no friend of the plaintiffs' PI bar, and also as someone with many colleagues who study the civil justice system more rigorously, I can say that juries and courts together, by and large, do a pretty good job administering these liability rules. The system is cumbersome and expensive, but not arbitrary. Occasional outlier verdicts get a lot of press attention, but people don't hear about the vast majority of cases with reasonable results.

Originally Posted by gbsfo
I think it is just the American culture. Lawsuit after lawsuit. The somewhat ironic thing, to me at least, is that looking in from the outside one sees Americans as wanting to stand on their own two feet, work hard for a living and be independent (bailouts being a very bitter pill to swallow for many).

You would think these qualities would instill a feeling of personal responsibility for ones actions but that does not appear to be the case. When it comes to something going wrong it is never their fault, but someone else for not daddying them. I suppose the independent, free thinking malarkey goes out of the window when people see $$$$ lawsuit potential.

Whatever happened to Mea culpa?
Linguistically, mea culpa implies it was Mrs. S who did something wrong. Her claim is that her husband was the wrongdoer. She's not trying to excuse herself from personal responsibility. As someone earlier in the thread pointed out, she was sitting next to Mr. S, but maybe she fell asleep and didn't see how much he had to drink. But to make the case more interesting, imagine that she was waiting at home for him to return from a trip. He got soused on the flight and came home and beat the heck out of her. Why is it a failure of personal responsibility if she blames both Mr. S and the airline for her injuries? What are you saying she should have done differently?

As for the $$$ lawsuit potential, I love to quote one of the greatest judges in American history, Learned Hand, who said that, other than death, he would dread nothing more than being involved in a lawsuit. Litigation isn't pretty. Most people would pay good money not to have to sit through a couple of days worth of depositions in a personal-injury action. And, at the end, the payoff isn't as $$$ as many people think. Look through a state verdicts and settlements reporter sometime, and you'll see many, many cases saying something like "Leg amputated by industrial metal-stamping machine . . . jury awarded $75,000." Really, buying lottery tickets is a much better bet than filing lawsuits.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 17, 2008 at 2:59 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 17, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Uniter
I dunno ... there's a lot of case law that puts some responsibility on bartenders for serving people who are drunk. I think United deserves some of the blame... and I'd bet dollars to donuts that a jury would agree with that. Look for them to settle out of court.
Not just case law -- it's black-letter statute in most states (known as a "dram shop statute").

Apparently California's law only applies if the person being served is a minor. If the couple had their fight in ORD, on the other hand, the wife could invoke the Illinois law which also applies to serving intoxicated adults.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UpstateNY
Linguistically, mea culpa implies it was Mrs. S who did something wrong. Her claim is that her husband was the wrongdoer. She's not trying to excuse herself from personal responsibility. As someone earlier in the thread pointed out, she was sitting next to Mr. S, but maybe she fell asleep and didn't see how much he had to drink. But to make the case more interesting, imagine that she was waiting at home for him to return from a trip. He got soused on the flight and came home and beat the heck out of her. Why is it a failure of personal responsibility if she blames both Mr. S and the airline for her injuries?
Actually, based upon a quick PACER check (although her complaint isn't yet available online, the docketing information is), it appears that Mrs. Shimamoto is only suing UA. And both Mr. and Mrs. Shimamoto are represented by the same attorney, which may present a conflict of interest down the road. Here is some more information about the lawsuit. The jurors and other armchair analysts are free to draw their own conclusions, but the posture of the case speaks volumes to me about the Shimamotos' warped sense of responsibility.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by tom911
I wonder what happened to Dianne Feinstein's legislation back in 2001 that was going to limit passengers to two drinks per domestic flight?
I guess 9/11 happened, but cases like this one are a perfect excuse to get the Nanny-State in our lives.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
Not just case law -- it's black-letter statute in most states (known as a "dram shop statute").

Apparently California's law only applies if the person being served is a minor. If the couple had their fight in ORD, on the other hand, the wife could invoke the Illinois law which also applies to serving intoxicated adults.
Unless they could prove he drank too much during the 30 minutes the plane was over the state of Illinois, why would Illinois law prevail?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver

...He got soused on the flight and came home and beat the heck out of her. Why is it a failure of personal responsibility if she blames both Mr. S and the airline for her injuries? What are you saying she should have done differently?
I'm not saying it is a lack of her personal responsibility, but his. The whole point is that UA didn't force feed the guy shooters and it was his choice to drink. He was responsible for his own actions and unless UA can be faulted for failing to cut him off when he was beyond his own self control (and this will be hard to ascertain unless he was rolling about the cabin) then I can't see how they are at fault. If he was personally responsible for his own actions then the wife should be charging/divorcing him, not filing a claim against UA.

People just need to buck up and stop looking for blame everywhere but at home.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
If I go on break, should I inform the other FAs that I served him another drink?
Interesting side note: When a pax appears to be intoxicated, and a FA believes the pax needs to be cut off, it is standard procedure for that FA to inform other FAs of this, especially before going on break. This helps avoid the pax tricking another FA into serving more alcohol and making a bad situation even worse.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) S11HT)

Originally Posted by Mark_K

Unless they could prove he drank too much during the 30 minutes the plane was over the state of Illinois, why would Illinois law prevail?
Under the IL law, dram shop liability is based on where the injury occurred, not where the alcohol was served.

So if someone gets plastered in Gary, drives across the border to Chicago and runs someone over, the IL dram-shop statute applies.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Perhaps I should sue for being underserved...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:35 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) S11HT)

Under the IL law, dram shop liability is based on where the injury occurred, not where the alcohol was served.

So if someone gets plastered in Gary, drives across the border to Chicago and runs someone over, the IL dram-shop statute applies.
Michigan once had something similar in its MIP laws (didn't matter where you drank, if you were in Michigan still above .02), it was eventually declared unconstitutional.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by qasr
1. I don't believe this. UA crews would never serve pax that often.
Yeah, sure... every 20 minutes all of the way from Japan to the US.
No jury is going to believe that story.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 6:11 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
If I'm right that the Warsaw Convention applies here and preempts state common-law claims (haven't heard back from LawSchoolFlyer). . .
I'm not familiar enough with judicial interpretation of the Warsaw Convention in non-luggage contexts to be able to say whether the Convention bars state common-law claims here. Maybe one of your colleagues who teaches admiralty law or constitutional law (federal treaty preempting state law) would know the answer. If even they don't know the answer, this could make an interesting (although cruel) examination question.

My guess is that if the answer was so obvious, the lawyer representing the plaintiffs would have found it before filing a lawsuit that could be totally frivolous (assuming that he's working on contingency), but hey, I guess Rule 11 wouldn't exist if not for some lawyers who make the rule necessary.

Originally Posted by Mark_K
Michigan once had something similar in its MIP laws (didn't matter where you drank, if you were in Michigan still above .02), it was eventually declared unconstitutional.
Under the federal constitution? Or the MI state constitution?

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I'm not sure what forum's laws will apply after the choice of law analysis is applied or what the specific laws are of the potential jurisdictions involved, but this sounds like a classic case where the plaintiff's contributory negligence should bar his recovery. In a negligence lawsuit brought in Texas, a plaintiff who is more than 50% responsible for his own injuries will be barred from recovery.
I have no idea which specific state's law would apply even if U.S. law applied, but my guess is that, if the state actually has a dram shop statute (or common law rule) that allows the drunk person to sue, then that state's courts probably do not recognize contributory negligence as an automatic bar, since that would completely defeat the purpose of the statute (which is to impose liability on the bar in addition to the drunk person). OTOH, if only a third-party victim can sue, that actually appears to be what happened here: the plaintiff is the wife, and it's hard to see how the wife could be >50% at fault (i.e., the drunk husband and the airline combined are less than 50% at fault), if she was just sitting on the plane. Maybe if she was having a drinking contest with her husband, but it would have to be something extreme like that.

That's exactly the point -- if it's unreasonable to expect an FA, who has all sorts of other duties, to keep track of all of this stuff, then that person will not be deemed negligent if he or she gave someone a couple of extra drinks. Remember that all of these factual questions (including the question of whether some conduct was reasonable) are judged by 12 ordinary folks, who presumably are just as capable as the people on this forum of making sound, commonsensical decisions.
Thanks again for the really clear and concise (and of course, accurate) explanation of negligence liability. On the jury point, I'd say that the jurors would be in a different situation from the FTers here in that they would have some more detailed facts presented to them, as well as having some facts and argument specifically screened away from them, as a result of evidentiary rules.

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; Dec 18, 2008 at 6:27 am
Old Dec 18, 2008, 6:31 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by Grace B
Perhaps I should sue for being underserved...
If we could I'd be one rich SOB!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:02 am

Programs: IHG RA, SPG Plat, United 1K, Avis Chairman
this is a bunch of BS
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
if it's unreasonable to expect an FA, who has all sorts of other duties, to keep track of all of this stuff, then that person will not be deemed negligent if he or she gave someone a couple of extra drinks.
That's a big IF because the FAA makes the assumption that the FA is expected to be able to make that determination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.