Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:50 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by UpstateNY
This is an international flight, so doesn't the Warsaw Convention preempt the wife's claim against UA, asserting duties under either common law or dramshop statutes?
Most of the Warsaw Convention governs liability for baggage, and I think the sections governing transportation of people act to limit the liability that can be imposed (cap the $$ damages) rather than bar all lawsuits brought under other laws.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:11 am

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Most of the Warsaw Convention governs liability for baggage, and I think the sections governing transportation of people act to limit the liability that can be imposed (cap the $$ damages) rather than bar all lawsuits brought under other laws.
I'm not sure about that. There's a preemption provision (art. 24(1)), which states: "In the carriage of passengers and baggage, any action for damages, however founded, can only be brought subject to the conditions and limitations set out in this Convention . . .." The operative provision permitting lawsuits for personal injuries (art. 17) keys liability to an "accident" (the meaning of which has been frequently litigated), and states that the accident must have taken place on board the aircraft. The damage cap you mention is in art. 22, but that kicks in only if the plaintiff is able to show that her injuries were the result of (a) an accident (b) occurring on the aircraft. (If the allegation is that the over-service was the "accident," it may not matter that the damages she suffered at the hands of her husband occurred after they were off the plane.)

My point was that the plaintiff is not going to be able to bring a garden variety common-law tort action, on the grounds that UA has a duty to third parties arising out of its negligent service of alcohol to a passenger. It's all got to be channeled through the language of the Convention.

Usual disclaimers: This isn't legal advice, I'm a lawyer but not an aviation lawyer, blah blah.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by ColoBill1
I can. The guy was drinking wine. I don't know how many flights I have taken over the years when I patiently waited for a second cocktail, while fellow wine drinkers in the FC cabin kept getting their wine glasses "topped off" by the FA.
True about service vs cocktails but that is usually only at dinner service at the beginning of the flight and I have never had a FA come around every 20 minutes for anything in any class of service much less wine after the dinner service is over.

This thing happened in 2006, obviously somebody is desperate in their life.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Uniter
I don't see anything frivolous about it. Spilling coffee on yourself is one thing, serving a passenger who's obviously drunk seems serious.
How do you know that? These types of frivolous cases only result in responsible people being punished. Her problem is not with the airline, but with her husband. Are we to believe that this is not his normal behavior whenever he has a little something to drink? Are we to believe that his attack was not one of several in the past?

It doesn't matter how much alcohol you give most men, we're not going to smacking our wives. Unfortunately, she's married to a low-life wimp who gets off on hitting women (and possibly an alcohol problem). Whatever the case, this is not United's problem, and I'll be ticked if I start getting cut off with some new maximum 1-2 drink policy because of this loser.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Seems as if it would be quite difficult to prove how much alcohol was served to this person. Sounds as if they want to blame someone else for their stupid actions. If wife can blame the airline, she doesn't have to blame the jerk she married.

Also, this was two years ago. I'm not in law school or an attorney, but isn't there some time limit in which you must file?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:32 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I don't see anything frivolous about it. Spilling coffee on yourself is one thing, serving a passenger who's obviously drunk seems serious.
Gotta respectfully disagree.

How do you know the FAs continued to serve him after he became visibly drunk? I'm sure they didn't. It's more likely that he was behaving normally while they were serving him.

Taking the side of a drunk wife-beater in this case seems like the very definition of frivolous to me.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by danielb6752
Shimamoto was arrested, accused of disorderly conduct and battery after he struck his wife, Ayisha, six times, injuring her face and upper lip as they were heading through U.S. Customs in San Francisco, the complaint said.

He hit her in the C&I area? Since he hadn't entered the US yet, why didn't they just put him on the next flight back to Japan?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:43 am

where was the wife while he was being served? why did she not ask them to stop serving?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by andymell
He hit her in the C&I area? Since he hadn't entered the US yet, why didn't they just put him on the next flight back to Japan?
Ayisha doesn't sound like a Japanese name, at least to me as a native Japanese speaker. This might be related to that.

Anyway, illegal activities there are punishable by US laws, aren't they?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:57 am

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
Also, this was two years ago. I'm not in law school or an attorney, but isn't there some time limit in which you must file?
Two years is pretty typical for statutes of limitations in personal-injury cases, but I don't know for sure under Calif. law. If I'm right that the Warsaw Convention applies here and preempts state common-law claims (haven't heard back from LawSchoolFlyer), then it's definitely two years, under art. 29(1) of the Convention.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
There's another side to this case, the criminal offense which forms a part of it.

California statutes are fairly strong when it comes to domestic violence/assault on a spouse, and IIRC, the abused wife is not required to file charges (which was done by a local LEA, disorderly conduct and battery). By filing the suit in Florida, the couple are admitting that the husband clearly and openly commited either a serious misdemeanor or perhaps a felony while "on the ground" at SFO, which is hardly "extra-territorial" to the State of California. Were I UA (with witnesses and maybe access to video of the incident), I'd be appearing at the DA's office in San Francisco calling for charges against the "batterer" to be pursued (and the issuance of a warrant for his extradition to CA, if the crime of which he is charged is a felony).

For attorneys here....Doesn't CA have a statute that a perp may not profit from the "proceeds" of books (or lawsuits) arising from the crime committed?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:19 am

Generally speaking, if law enforcement was aware of the incident (and it sounds like they were), the DA's office would have up to one year to file misdemeanor criminal charges (and up to three years to file felony charges).

Edited to add: I just reread the OP, and it looks like the local DA's office actually did file charges at the time.

Originally Posted by TMOliver
There's another side to this case, the criminal offense which forms a part of it.

California statutes are fairly strong when it comes to domestic violence/assault on a spouse, and IIRC, the abused wife is not required to file charges (which was done by a local LEA, disorderly conduct and battery). By filing the suit in Florida, the couple are admitting that the husband clearly and openly commited either a serious misdemeanor or perhaps a felony while "on the ground" at SFO, which is hardly "extra-territorial" to the State of California. Were I UA (with witnesses and maybe access to video of the incident), I'd be appearing at the DA's office in San Francisco calling for charges against the "batterer" to be pursued (and the issuance of a warrant for his extradition to CA, if the crime of which he is charged is a felony).

For attorneys here....Doesn't CA have a statute that a perp may not profit from the "proceeds" of books (or lawsuits) arising from the crime committed?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by warreng24
Lawsuits like this one are the reason why we have those threads complaining about FA's cutting off people's alcohol.
I wholeheartedly agree, shame on these two for not knowing when to say when, and for ruining it for the rest of us who can get sloshed and not hit their wife in the customs area!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:40 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I dunno ... there's a lot of case law that puts some responsibility on bartenders for serving people who are drunk. I think United deserves some of the blame...
Indeed.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Indeed.
Of course, the onus may be on the pax to prove that the FA's knowingly served the man when he was obviously drunk. It may be difficult to judge the state of intoxication of someone that is sitting in an airplane seat, which is a rather restricted space. Unless the man was engaging in activities that clearly showed that he was intoxicated, it will be tough to prove.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.