Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
mcdonalds

this case reminds me of the case of that woman who won $14million from mcdonalds for that hot coffee which scalded her. people don't want to take responsibility for their action;they blame other people. the FA had no way of knowing if this dude had an alcohol problem.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
this case reminds me of the case of that woman who won $14million from mcdonalds for that hot coffee which scalded her. people don't want to take responsibility for their action;they blame other people. the FA had no way of knowing if this dude had an alcohol problem.
But that's not how liability law works. It's based on the percentage of blame a jury decides. Is the FA completely blameless? Does she bear no responsibility if a passenger is obviously drunk? She -- and therefore UA -- is partly to blame. How much is up to a jury.

As for the McDonalds case, if you actually read the case, it's not as clear cut. This particular McDonalds was given a dozen warnings that their coffee was scalding hot. McDonalds chose to ignore all of these warnings. Were they completely to blame? Of course not. But partly? ... I think so.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Under the federal constitution? Or the MI state constitution?
Doing some googling, it wasn't declared unconstitutional (the old memory bank isn't what it once was), an appeals court judge just dismissed the case. It involved 19 YO's going to Canada drinking legally and then coming back to Michigan. I believe the legislature has reworded the law since then.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by warreng24
Lawsuits like this one are the reason why we have those threads complaining about FA's cutting off people's alcohol.
No, actually lawsuits like this are the reason our courts are bogged down and another example of why people who file frivolous lawsuits should get mandatory jail time for filing them.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:44 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Just sad.
Next lawsuit wil be that United didn't offer enough wine.
New United Rules:
GM are allowed 1 alcoholic drink in C and 2 in F for flights over 5hrs
3P/2P/1P are allowed 2 and 4
1K 4 and 6
GS none - only milk and pillows
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jason8612
Next lawsuit wil be that United didn't offer enough wine.
Maybe someone should file suit about the quality of the wine...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Maybe someone should file suit about the quality of the wine...
Good point! The standard of law should be that if you spend more than $3 on your wine, but it tastes worse than 2buck Chuck then you're liable.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Mark_K
I remember watching some TV show recently which seemed to imply that on international flights a plane was under the jurisdiction of the country the plane left from until it touched down.

Anybody know if that's true, and if so, how it might pertain to this case, and what Japan's dram shop liability laws are like?
General rule for the cabin of a plane is that when the plane is on the ground, the cabin is under the jurisdiction of the country where the plane is parked or taxiing. Once in the air, the cabin is under the jurisdiction of the country where the plane is registered. The plane itself will come under the jurisdiction of any third country it flies over -- think KAL 007 -- but the occupants remain under the jurisdiction of the country of registration, which affects, for instance, who gets to fine you if you mess with the smoke detectors.

This doesn't really help the analysis here since there is no federal dram shop law in the US (although the FARs mentioned already would apply).

I think Japan has no dram shop liability law at all, other than (possibly) general negligence liability under its civil code. Frankly, "liability" is a relative term there since suing is expensive and slow and judges are remarkably conservative in giving verdicts against businesses -- basically the polar opposite of the US, which is good if you're a defendant but not if you're the poor schmuck in the hospital.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Uniter
As for the McDonalds case, if you actually read the case, it's not as clear cut. This particular McDonalds was given a dozen warnings that their coffee was scalding hot. McDonalds chose to ignore all of these warnings. Were they completely to blame? Of course not. But partly? ... I think so.
It's somewhat complicated, because the salient facts of the case are:

1) McDonalds in general, including this one, had hotter coffee than most competitors, which undoubtedly made it more unsafe than competitors', but
2) Customers in general, including this lady, preferred McDonalds coffee because it was hotter. She specifically made McDonalds her routine coffee stop because it was hotter.

Since then McDonalds has switched to less hot coffee, butStarbucks makes their coffee hotter than what McDonalds did. Of course, they don't have drive-throughs.

So in an alcohol sense it's like specifically buying 151 rum or Everclear because it has a higher alcohol content (and perhaps trying to make Jell-O shots with it), but then complaining because the higher alcohol content makes it unsafe, particularly with your drinking habits.

You certainly can still make an argument that McDonalds had some liability, granted, based on something like "I wanted the hottest coffee that was safe for me, and I figured that because McDonalds sold it at the drive-through it must be safe enough for drinking in the car and that they were giving an implicit guarantee that it was." That's not without merit, but I still have issues with it.

There was a somewhat similar issue with baby bath seats, which the Consumer Product Safety Council banned a couple years ago. (Or tried to ban, as I haven't kept up with all the latest info.) It seems that the bath seats did not make bathing a child any more dangerous inherently, but nor did they provide protection that diminished the risk of drowning. The argument then went that they could fool a parent into thinking that they provided extra safety, causing the parent to rely upon that and behave in a more unsafe manner, such as leaving the child alone in the seat, indirectly causing an increase in drowning. There is some evidence to back this up, but I'm not really willing to follow the chain of reasoning.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:52 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by roadkit
No, actually lawsuits like this are the reason our courts are bogged down and another example of why people who file frivolous lawsuits should get mandatory jail time for filing them.
Amen ^
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:13 pm

There are a lot of responses to this thread, but I did not notice anything that mentioned the passenger(s), while on the flight, showed any signs of intoxication or beligerence. People have varying tolerances for alcohol intake, so if the passengers seemed OK during the flight, they (the FA's) have no control what they do afterwards.

Total ........ lawsuit, and the passengers should be made to pay all costs
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Amen ^
And to add: This is why many people outside the U.S. just laugh -at best- about the U.S. judisdiction system

F.R.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Wink

Originally Posted by John Thacker
Since then McDonalds has switched to less hot coffee, butStarbucks makes their coffee hotter than what McDonalds did. Of course, they don't have drive-throughs.
That big sliding window opening onto a drive with a line of cars at my neighborhood (and by me unfrequented) Starbucks certainly resembles a drive through. Can it just be a facsimile, a stage set to bloster popularity?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:23 pm
PVR

Originally Posted by John Thacker
Of course, they don't have drive-throughs.
." That's not without merit, but I still have issues with it.
In California at least Starbucks has a lot of drive-thrus.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
And to add: This is why many people outside the U.S. just laugh -at best- about the U.S. judisdiction system

F.R.
I'm not aware of a judisdiction system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.