Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple sues United for overserving husband!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:54 pm

I remember watching some TV show recently which seemed to imply that on international flights a plane was under the jurisdiction of the country the plane left from until it touched down.

Anybody know if that's true, and if so, how it might pertain to this case, and what Japan's dram shop liability laws are like?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I'm not sure what forum's laws will apply after the choice of law analysis is applied or what the specific laws are of the potential jurisdictions involved, but this sounds like a classic case where the plaintiff's contributory negligence should bar his recovery. In a negligence lawsuit brought in Texas, a plaintiff who is more than 50% responsible for his own injuries will be barred from recovery.

This lawsuit is somewhat unusual in that the typical negligence lawsuit against a commercial server of alcohol is one involving a third party, most commonly when the victim of a drunk driving accident sues the bar that continued to serve the drunk driver. In such cases, recovery is often sought from the bar owner because the drunk driver may not have sufficient assets to cover a judgment or settlement.

The specific legal principles aside, I find it absurd for anyone to blame another person for serving him too much alcohol. Nobody held a gun to Mr. Shimamoto's head and forced him to drink beyond his tolerance. Unfortunately, it's incidents like these that contribute to flight attendants cutting off premium cabin passengers prematurely. My last trip on UA (SkyWest, actually), another gentlemen and I in first class were told that we couldn't have more than four drinks even though both of us were well-behaved, lucid, and had a lengthy international connection ahead, not a drive home.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Dec 17, 2008 at 1:04 pm
Old Dec 17, 2008, 1:10 pm

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
... In a negligence lawsuit brought in Texas, a plaintiff who is more than 50% responsible for his own injuries will be barred from recovery.

This lawsuit is somewhat unusual in that the typical negligence lawsuit against a commercial server of alcohol is one involving a third party, most commonly when the victim of a drunk driving accident sues the bar that continued to serve the drunk driver.
Right, except liability under the Warsaw Convention is strict, and even if this were a domestic flight, UA as a common carrier is under a heightened standard of care.

In this case, Mr. S isn't the plaintiff -- it's his wife -- so it is analogous to the case you mention, of the victim of a drunk driver suing the bar that got the driver soused.

A lot of people on this thread are talking about blame and responsibility, but the law governing accidents and personal injuries isn't all about those concepts. Putting on my torts teacher hat, it's not all about the ex post point of view. Tort law is also about the ex ante point of view -- i.e. deterrence, and creating incentives for everyone to engage in optimal levels of risk-taking (or care-taking, if you prefer). You want airlines to have some incentive not to get passengers so likkered up that they go out and do dangerous things. Why? Because, in some cases, as between the airline and the victim of some subsequent drunken act -- driving, an assault, etc. -- the airline was in a better position to take an effective precaution against the injury.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Well obviously

we need to ban all alcohol on flights

Or people could just act like adults and take responsibility for their actions
Old Dec 17, 2008, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Given the size of UA's wine glasses, I need refills a lot more often than every 20 minutes.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 1:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UpstateNY
...You want airlines to have some incentive not to get passengers so likkered up that they go out and do dangerous things. Why? Because, in some cases, as between the airline and the victim of some subsequent drunken act -- driving, an assault, etc. -- the airline was in a better position to take an effective precaution against the injury.
Very helpful post. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Traveling Consultant
Hardly the worst idea I ever heard.

Actually, it's both/and -- "acting like an adult" in the course of one's official duties under the FARs (accepting, for the moment for the sake of argument, that indeed those FARs were violated by the FAs -- which we of course don't know yet) means not serving those who shouldn't be served.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by cblaisd
... means not serving those who shouldn't be served.
And how exactly are the FAs supposed to determine this, if the pax is seated quietly in F and asks politely for a refill? Should they ask him to blow into a breathalyzer before offering any more Cotes du Rhone on this long transpacific flight?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Traveling Consultant

I wouldnt mind as I dont drink onboard anyways.

Though I would not cut this benefit from others who enjoy their occasional drink or wine.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Hardly the worst idea I ever heard.
Of course not, that's why there is both OMNI and the Gary airport.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:04 pm

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
And how exactly are the FAs supposed to determine this, if the pax is seated quietly in F and asks politely for a refill? Should they ask him to blow into a breathalyzer before offering any more Cotes du Rhone on this long transpacific flight?
Under negligence law, all anyone has to do is act with reasonable care. That means doing what an ordinarily prudent person would do in the same circumstances -- not making every call perfectly and never making mistakes. What does reasonable care mean? Take my torts class and we'll talk about it for most of the semester, but in this case it means, essentially, if there are indications that someone is drinking way too much, getting out of control, becoming belligerent, etc., you're on notice that you may be over-serving. Defendants in these cases always say "what am I supposed to do, make everyone blow a breathalyzer?" and the answer courts frequently give is "no, that's not what reasonable care requires, but if someone is so falling-down drunk that they can hardly make their drink order intelligible, you may be on notice that they've had too much."

That's another point about lawsuits. What you can claim is one thing, what you can prove is another. Ms. S can allege that the FA should have known that Mr. S was drinking too much, but the evidence may not turn out to support her claim -- that would mean losing on summary judgment or at trial. (All this assumes that domestic tort law governs which, as I've indicated above, is probably not the case.) We don't know yet what's going to happen as the lawsuit proceeds through discovery, pretrial motions, trial, post-trial motions, and appeal. That's why it's premature to get all exercised about "frivolous" lawsuits at this stage.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Though I would not cut this benefit from others who enjoy their occasional drink or wine.
Why only "occasional" drink? That's all you believe should be protected? You're saying one shouldn't drink on every flight, even if they don't get drunk?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:13 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Of course not, that's why there is both OMNI and the Gary airport.
BPOTD!

Originally Posted by UpstateNY
Under negligence law, all anyone has to do is act with reasonable care. That means doing what an ordinarily prudent person would do in the same circumstances.... That's another point about lawsuits. What you can claim is one thing, what you can prove is another. ... That's why it's premature to get all exercised about "frivolous" lawsuits at this stage.
Remarkably helpful. Thank you. It would be interesting to see how the "reasonable care" standard would play out through the process as you describe it when a reasonable adult knows that serving x drinks in y time simply physiologically can't help but have an effect in the z range (notwithstanding the confined opportunities to misbehave in an F seat, although that certainly hasn't stopped too many people from finding ways).
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
UpstateNY - an excellent and thoughtful explanation.

I think it is unreasonable to expect FAs to in fact become alcohol physiologists. Are they supposed to remember that pax#4 was served a cocktail by another FA 1 1/2 hours ago and now requests a glass of wine. But did he has a pre-departure drink? How much does he weigh? If I give him a glass of wine now, does that mean no port with the cheese tray? If I go on break, should I inform the other FAs that I served him another drink?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver
I think it is just the American culture. Lawsuit after lawsuit. The somewhat ironic thing, to me at least, is that looking in from the outside one sees Americans as wanting to stand on their own two feet, work hard for a living and be independent (bailouts being a very bitter pill to swallow for many).

You would think these qualities would instill a feeling of personal responsibility for ones actions but that does not appear to be the case. When it comes to something going wrong it is never their fault, but someone else for not daddying them. I suppose the independent, free thinking malarkey goes out of the window when people see $$$$ lawsuit potential.

Whatever happened to Mea culpa?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I wonder what happened to Dianne Feinstein's legislation back in 2001 that was going to limit passengers to two drinks per domestic flight? Wonder why she didn't want to touch international flights and only cover domestic.

"In view of the 5,000 'air rage' incidents each year," Feinstein wrote, "I believe it is time for the airline industry to set standards voluntarily, or else Congress may well step in." Her letter was sent to the CEOs of Delta, Continental, Northwest, US Airways, United, Southwest and American.

She said she's writing legislation that would limit passengers on domestic flights to two drinks.

"I hope that introducing this legislation will not be necessary and you will be willing to voluntarily set limits on how many drinks a passenger can consume," said Feinstein, who could not be reached for comment. "Absent that, I am prepared to proceed with the legislation."
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/TRAVEL/...ing/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.