Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Going back to the original posting for this re-start of the thread, why 30, 45, 60 .... minutes in advance? (just a statement of not having lounge access???)

Yeah, that's what has been lost in some of the discussion. I can understand the people who do it a few minutes before the flight. I can understand those who come from the RCC and don't want to bother sitting down.

I sort of get the people who say they line up early in case they are late on another flight and there's no overhead

That was not the case here. People lined up way before the plane came in. At 8 when the RCC closed the line on the red carpet was already long. The plane did not arrive until 8:45, boarding after the mechanical thing was delayed about another hour. When we got to the gate we thought another flight was boarding then realized it's people lining up for a missing airplane.

Now I don't know when people started lining up, I was happily mixing yogurt covered raisins and trail mix in the RCC, but I do know they stayed in that line for at least 1 hour and 45 minutes while there were tons of seats at the gate. Eventually some sat on the floor, but nobody moved (made for a fun mess when the plane came in).

In contrast to the flight back from ORD, nobody was on the red carpet until they announced boarding would start in five minutes, than three or four people moved over to the line.

I just don't understand why a dozen or so people would have stood for probably two hours or more for the first few people in the line. They would have been the first on the plane anyways, but choose to stand or sit in the middle of that gate for hours.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by gcasflyer

It's not a matter of standing or not standing--there are plenty of passengers that stand around waiting for the next flight. Those that stand at the red carpet clearly want to announce to the world that they are the entitled ones--that's what makes them appear like lice.
" - - -announce to the world - - - (bolding mine)"

And, how do you know this?
-
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Originally Posted by emanon256
Efficient, just like loading cattle into the slaughter house. Sorry if you like WN, but thats what I think of every time I see their boarding process.

Though UA boarding reminds me of a flock of sheep being herded by a mute dog. (Though the GA is not mute, its the PAX who don't hear).
I'm not saying I like Southwest better, although if I have to fly coach I do love their exit row...but they do manage to board their planes in about 15-20 minutes. I have never seen United, Continental, Delta, even come close to that on similarly sized planes.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chasgoose
I'm not saying I like Southwest better, although if I have to fly coach I do love their exit row...but they do manage to board their planes in about 15-20 minutes. I have never seen United, Continental, Delta, even come close to that on similarly sized planes.
That's because they require that all passengers self-police the boarding order. It's just a little too "4th grade" for me.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: SPG100, Marriott Plat, United 1K, Hertz Pres, Peasant Rest:)
Honestly... I hate seeing people line up and stand there for an hour... Its just soo stupid and makes place even more crowded. Why not just sit on your back side and wait till you are called? What difference does it really make if you get your carry on in the over head or not? I always check in my luggage and never have to worry about it, then I casually pick it up on my way out. It takes 5 minutes of my life but adds a whole lot of comfort.

Greg
Old Oct 18, 2010, 6:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by walukanis
...What difference does it really make if you get your carry on in the over head or not? I always check in my luggage and never have to worry about it, then I casually pick it up on my way out. It takes 5 minutes of my life but adds a whole lot of comfort...
Count me in on the carry-on crowd. But not the standing in the line for xx minutes crowd, I have had no trouble with carry on as long as I have board before or with group 1.

At SFO (my home base) and most hubs, it takes longer than 5 minutes to check (and you have to be at the counter sooner to make the luggage deadline) and much longer than 5 minutes to retrieve one's luggage (SFO is 30 minutes min and typically 45). When traveling with +1 we always check (some things you just accept) and I really notice the extra time (average 1 hour total) for checking.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Count me in on the carry-on crowd. But not the standing in the line for xx minutes crowd, I have had no trouble with carry on as long as I have board before or with group 1.

At SFO (my home base) and most hubs, it takes longer than 5 minutes to check (and you have to be at the counter sooner to make the luggage deadline) and much longer than 5 minutes to retrieve one's luggage (SFO is 30 minutes min and typically 45). When traveling with +1 we always check (some things you just accept) and I really notice the extra time (average 1 hour total) for checking.
I don't think I've ever been in a situation where checking/picking-up adds 5 minutes to the trip. I too travel +1 sometimes, and that's usually a check luggage event (though after a looooong wait a few months ago, she's starting to see the light).
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Honestly... I hate seeing people line up and stand there for an hour... Its just soo stupid and makes place even more crowded.
So don't look at them Now, I agree, an hour is a bit odd, but how does it bother you if someone is in line or not?

Why not just sit on your back side and wait till you are called? What difference does it really make if you get your carry on in the over head or not? I always check in my luggage and never have to worry about it, then I casually pick it up on my way out. It takes 5 minutes of my life but adds a whole lot of comfort.
What difference does it make? Its a HUGE difference. Usually I end up in bulkhead, and sadly, not on the Air Bus Twins, so whatever I have with me has to go in an over head, even if I check my bag, my laptop still needs to go in an over head. What do you propose as a solution?

5 minutes? Get to the airport early, wait in line, check the bag, go to security........get off plain, go to carousal, wait some more.....

DEN has been better lately the few times I have needed to check, but still 20-30 extra waiting for my bag and about 15 when dropping it off. (Used to be longer when waiting for my bag) LGA still take about 45min to an hour to get my bag. When someone travels every week, adding minimum of 45 minutes each way, or 1.5 hours a week so you don't have have to see them in line is a lot to ask.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:40 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Perhaps we should "roll out the red carpet" when we start our pre-boarding announcements and roll it up after the flight? I don't think that would work though as all the red carpets at ORD that weren't screwed into the floor were stollen.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
What others might call 1K gate licing I call efficient boarding (scan BP, cross jetbridge, board aircraft, greet FA's with a warm "hello", find seat, stow rollaboard, move out of aisle, remove coat...all done in less time than it takes to play an early Beatles tune), thereby contributing to another on-time departure
Yeah, but maybe only 1 in 1,000 of the gate lice I see actually bothers to do this. Most of the ones who are lice stand around in the front of the plane like they own it (actually most of the worst lice are seated in coach) and screw around with the 27 bags they brought - all of which MUST go into the overhead. I can state with confidence that most of the gate lice I see put both bags in the overhead - in first or coach. Nothing worse than getting to a connection late (sitting in first) and seeing the OH clogged by briefcases and computer backpacks that could have been put under the seat.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:59 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
I'll admit to being a 1K gate louse if only b/c I almost always only bring a backpack -- NOT a hiker backpack, but like a large school pack -- and esp. if I'm in a bulkhead row, I've got to compete with people who think small suitcases constitute appropriate overhead carry-ons. I don't even both trying to stow my top hat most of the time; just hold it in my lap.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by fastair
Perhaps we should "roll out the red carpet" when we start our pre-boarding announcements and roll it up after the flight? I don't think that would work though as all the red carpets at ORD that weren't screwed into the floor were stollen.
Tja, bet that cost UA a fortune in powdered sugar!

Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:57 am

Programs: United (1K/MM2), Alaska MVPG, Hyatt GP-Diamond
Whenever they call pre-boarding for special needs etc. and everyone lines up, I always lean over to the random person sitting next to me and say... "I don't know about those people, but I have a reserved seat".

It gets a laugh about 1/2 the time.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
Tja, bet that cost UA a fortune in powdered sugar!

You better believe that if there were stollen around the Red Carpet, I would be the one stealing them!

Ich liebe Strudel, Pfeffernusse und Stollen. Sie schmecken sehr gut!

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 19, 2010 at 7:01 am
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by fastair
Perhaps we should "roll out the red carpet" when we start our pre-boarding announcements and roll it up after the flight? I don't think that would work though as all the red carpets at ORD that weren't screwed into the floor were [stolen].
Taken, no doubt, for use at home in the pursuit of forbidden pleasures... Installed in a walk-in closet with a couple of full-length mirrors, I can well imagine the thief standing on one, complete with carryon, Blackberry, and bluetooth headset, preening and admiring himself with sidelong glances as he murmurs "Do you know who I am???".

Last edited by ccharles; Oct 19, 2010 at 8:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.