Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by thumbun
Don't care if I am labeled a 1K gate lice or if my FT friends are laughing at me. I usually arrive at the gate 15 to 20 minutes prior to boarding and get in line on the red carpet. I like to get on board early and get settled, and thus avoid the rush. I do this regardless of whether or not I am upgraded. We all have our own quirks and I guess this one is mine.
15 to 20 mins prior boarding is not consider gate lice, we are talking about much longer.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Originally Posted by businesstraveller2
No it would look like a Southwest boarding gate. All you would need would be the TV monitors telling you which line to get in depending on your status.
For all your badmouthing of Southwest, their current boarding system is actually rather efficient. Yeah its fairly complicated and requires the use of tv screens and whatnot, but for the most part people seem to figure it out a lot better than they do with legacy carrier boarding processes. This is even more impressive when you consider that WN has a much higher kettle/frequent traveller ratio due to its lack of an elite program and supposedly lower fares.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by chasgoose
For all your badmouthing of Southwest, their current boarding system is actually rather efficient.
Efficient, just like loading cattle into the slaughter house. Sorry if you like WN, but thats what I think of every time I see their boarding process.

Though UA boarding reminds me of a flock of sheep being herded by a mute dog. (Though the GA is not mute, its the PAX who don't hear).
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
After almost missing my SFO-HKG trip due to a power-tripping FA on a ORD-SFO flight, I don't think that getting in the red carpet line before boarding begins is such a bad idea anymore .
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:53 pm

What others might call 1K gate licing I call efficient boarding (scan BP, cross jetbridge, board aircraft, greet FA's with a warm "hello", find seat, stow rollaboard, move out of aisle, remove coat...all done in less time than it takes to play an early Beatles tune), thereby contributing to another on-time departure
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
What others might call 1K gate licing ....
Going back to the original posting for this re-start of the thread, why 30, 45, 60 .... minutes in advance? (just a statement of not having lounge access???)
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Going back to the original posting for this re-start of the thread, why 30, 45, 60 .... minutes in advance? (just a statement of not having lounge access???)
Well, can't speak for other airports, but at IAD this happens because everyone in DC is :-:someone important:-:!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have a friend who does that, he always goes 60 minutes in advance, and stands at the front of the line. Though he is entitled to board first, so I don't see him as a lice.

His answer was, "I am going to be sitting for several hours, so I might as well stand until I get so sick of standing that an airplane seat will be comfortable for the next few hours." He also always takes a window seat, boards first, and fall asleep instantly, sleeps through boarding, and doesn't wake up until landing. I wish I could sleep like that!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emanon256
I don't see him as a lice.
It may be a nit (pun intended), but the singular of lice is louse.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by emanon256
His answer was, "I am going to be sitting for several hours, so I might as well stand until I get so sick of standing that an airplane seat will be comfortable for the next few hours." He also always takes a window seat, boards first, and fall asleep instantly, sleeps through boarding, and doesn't wake up until landing. I wish I could sleep like that!
Precisely why I do it too!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA1K
It's not a matter of standing or not standing--there are plenty of passengers that stand around waiting for the next flight. Those that stand at the red carpet clearly want to announce to the world that they are the entitled ones--that's what makes them appear like lice.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:58 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I unashamedly admit to being a gate louse on four out of my recent eight flights in the past two weeks, in order to get overhead storage space in the F cabin on CR700 and A320 aircraft when seated in row 1. I captured the red carpet at boarding minus 7 minutes. It worked every time.

Condemn me if you must!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gcasflyer
It's not a matter of standing or not standing--there are plenty of passengers that stand around waiting for the next flight. Those that stand at the red carpet clearly want to announce to the world that they are the entitled ones--that's what makes them appear like lice.
I was unaware that lice act entitled... to what? Scalp?

Could it be that folks stand on the red carpet not to announce that they are entitled, but because they are entitled to its use? Can't that be enough?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the silliest thing I've read in this thread. Why do you think they "clearly" want to announce anything?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:03 pm

Those that stand at the red carpet clearly want to announce to the world that they are the entitled ones--that's what makes them appear like lice.
Thats quite an assumption? You know what goes through every persons mind? Cool. I wish I had such abilities.

Sorry for being rude, but many people, my self included, get there early when we are in a bulkhead and need to have over head space available, or simply want to sit down and get situated, or don't want to have to fight through the gate lice. I will continue to argue, that someone who is allowed to be there, is not a louse.

In all honesty, I would not want to be the first person or only person there, I would feel quite awkward as I do not want the world to know anything about me or who I am. But if I need to put my bag in the bin, I am gonna get there early so I can do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.