Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: QFF
If the flight is delayed, why stand in line when you can sit in line.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:25 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I would love to board last....but UA FA's rarely save the F bin space for F pax and if you show up late they tell you to gate check so you are SOL. So, I make my way to the carpet if it is a plane that is bad on bin space.

Fly more....and you will get it.
I fly enough, trust me, o didn't take this job for the pay. One could classify me as an expert on this subject, so I do get it, being a gate agent and all. I get it more than you could know, and it is your right, but it IS unnecessary.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold 2014 - Silver 2018
I observed a tall gentleman walk on to the Red Carpet way before boarding, look all around him slowly trying to give the impression that he was someone important. I don't quite understand the need for recognition.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by SCAFlyer
I observed a tall gentleman walk on to the Red Carpet way before boarding, look all around him slowly trying to give the impression that he was someone important.
Bet he was also holding a Wendy's Frosty in one hand while twirling his BMW keys around his index finger on the other?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PTravel
I line up on the Red Carpet because overhead bin space in F is limited and I will never gate check a bag. However, if a flight is delayed 2 hours, I'll just head back to the RCC.
^ especially if I'm flying in F on a domestic 767 - the bin space on that aircraft is minimal at best.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I like how everyone claims standing in line is a necessity to claim overhead space in the F cabin. I think it's more of a worry than a reality for mainline aircraft. I always travel with carry on only and have never NOT been able to place my bag within 2 feet of my row. Then again, my carry on bag is regulation size and I put my personal item (backpack in my case) under the seat in front of me.

There are gate lice no matter what airline, but UA is unique in the Red Carpet lineup. Other airlines with special elite lanes (DL and AS in my experience) do not seem to experience this phenomenon.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Continental, Marriott, Starwood & Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz P.C.
Originally Posted by fastair
I fly enough, trust me, o didn't take this job for the pay. One could classify me as an expert on this subject, so I do get it, being a gate agent and all. I get it more than you could know, and it is your right, but it IS unnecessary.
I disagree with you. First on a CRJ is a joke in terms of carry on space. Without fail at least one person in first has to gate check or store their bag a few rows back. Also, true on other types of planes.

I line up and will wait within reason because:
  • Complete lack of carry on space. Especially if I have a tight connection on UX and don't feel like I can wait for my bag and make my connection. I am not a fan of gate checking. I have waited as much as an hour before for checked bags and have had a gate checked bag lost...and I mean lost for good.
  • The gate areas are always too small and there is a complete lack of seats. So if there is no place to sit, might as well stand in a protected red carpet cove.
  • I like to be able to hear what the gate agents are saying.
  • I have found it pays to be first in line when a flight cancels or is massively delayed and you need help / rebooking.

I'd like to know why most people think their carry on or brief case also needs a seat in the gate area. This seems to be at its worst when you are at F11 in ORD with 8 flights leaving at the same time, or many other gates at ORD or LAX especially.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Is that me in the photo???? Lol. Kidding.

I don't get those in this thread who talk about people wanting to look important. I don't think most people on the carpet really care who is looking at them. Not on their radar. They have other things to think about. (same argument for those who talk loudly on cell phones.... People often accuse them of wanting to impress others with their business deals. Truth is, others just aren't on their radar).
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
I find, at least at SFO where I connect a lot, it's easier to get up and find the end of the red carpet line about 5 minutes prior to boarding, before it gets lost in the sea of general boarding members who mill around the carpet/podium area. I've found, if not established there, it's a push and shove to even get there, and then the GA calls the 1P's/*G's and the rush is on. So, I can see the perspective of those who line up early. IME, that's usually ten or more minutes early at SFO. I do emphatically like the ability to bypass general boarding via the red carpet, when rushing to the gate on a late connection, as it often has made the difference between not gate checking a bag and having that dynamic occur in the jetway. Combined with more predictable bag stowage, less push and shove in the gate crowd would be my primary reasons for lining up prior to boarding. YMMV
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:48 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I would liike to see the red carpet go, who needs it, is that important you must be sure someone is aware of your status, most people who fly probably don't even know what it is, so guess your impressing only those that use it themselves, if you are impressed about standing on a red carptet go out and buy one, bring it with you, stand on it and then when its time to board roll it up and take it with you. Then while your standing waiting to use the lav, you can once again roll it out, and stand on it. Then when you get back to your seat you can use it as a blanket.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
I typically line up 5 minutes before boarding unless the line has already formed. Besides all the obvious good reasons I would like to add this. Years ago when I had no status and was forced to board in group two , etc I hated standing in the jetway in line. Can't breath in there. On the other hand, if delayed two hours I would never stand in one spot, even if the rcc was closed or non-existent.

Fun thread
Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by goalie
Yup ^ but in my case, I'll try and grab a smoke outside if the lines aren't that bad
Quit smoking. We like you here too much. Stick to the Tootsie Pops

Originally Posted by jchiguy1
+1 on the overhead space. My partner and I always "stage" ourselves on the Red Carpet 25 minutes before scheduled boarding time. It lessens our anxiety about having enough space for our overhead carry-ons. Checking bags is something we only do if absolutely necessary. We may love United but our record with bags ending up in, for instance, MAD instead of MSN makes us a little wary of UA baggage service.
25 minutes? That is WAY too soon. I like to be close to the Red Carpet and will NEVER gate check, but 25 minutes is a little crazy.

Originally Posted by fastair
When was the last time a 1K got mad at you for gate checking? That is why it IS necessary (though not to some of the extremes mentioned).

Originally Posted by halls120
^ especially if I'm flying in F on a domestic 767 - the bin space on that aircraft is minimal at best.
I am almost always on the plane and saying to the FA "mind if this goes in the closet?"
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I use the red lane exclusively ever since an AMS GA made me go back and re-enter through the red lane when I tried to use the regular lane. She taught me my lesson real good.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier, American Airlines
We are all supposed to pay homage to anyone who stands on the red carpet. The only time I got to walk the red carpet was earlier this year when I was upgraded to first on a United Express flight. I felt my life was complete as I strolled over the red carpet and onto the plane, where I enjoyed my first United Express snack box. If it wasn't for the red carpet, I would have never known how it is to be treated like royalty.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
+2 gate lice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.